Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Just joined the forum. I just bought a pt92 afs and I love it! I had an idea for a barrel bushing that would reduce the wiggle that everyone is so familiar with. It would be a very thin bushing around the barrel right where it meets the slide. Obviously it will not eliminate it but it could greatly reduce it. The material is being investigated, but it will have a very low coefficient of friction, be very strong as well as being stable under high temps. Is this something that anyone would be interested in if it were available? Thanks

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I would follow your development with interest.

Flash

·
Registered
20 Posts
I chased all that around at one time. Then I found out that the barrel floats around out there and what matters is the slides under the barrel and the flat face at the back. That flop in the front does not matter. If you have an accuracy problem I can tell you what does matter.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I chased all that around at one time. Then I found out that the barrel floats around out there and what matters is the slides under the barrel and the flat face at the back. That flop in the front does not matter. If you have an accuracy problem I can tell you what does matter.

I dare you! I'm VERY sensitive about criticism of my stance, breath control and trigger technique. :mad:

Breathing is, of course, mandatory, so we won't even go there.

I've built a couple 1911's, and the barrel is accuately and repeatably indexed from-shot-to-shot with the sights(slide).

Having the barrel sort of float in that big hole just seems, somehow . . . . . wrong. Results, however, tend to indicate that with the PT92 family, it is a non-issue. I just do not know why or how, but the more I shoot it, the less it worries me. But still . . .old ideas and habits die hard.

I'm going to load some 120 grainers up to @ 1175/1200 fps just to see what it will do. Isn't that the load that the 92's are regulated for?

Flash

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I've always been more of an "If it ain't broke...." kind of guy, and considering that the gun is relatively unchanged after all this time means something has to be right about it.

That being said, have fun adding that bushing, if it helps your accuracy then it did a good job. I believe that the manual lists 124 gr. @ somewhere in the 1175-1250 fps range, not including +P loads. I personally don't bother with +P in any caliber, the possible 50 fps you gain just doesn't feel worth the price tag to me in most cases. Coming from a carbine, they may be worth it, but a 4 1/2" - 5" barrel isn't going to add enough spin up in my opinion.

·
Registered
24,496 Posts
No need for a bushing in a 92. Barrel locks up just right and accuracy is impeccable.

·
Administrator
17,582 Posts
The problem with tightening up the lockup can be decreased feed reliability and increased ammunition sensitivity, and your increase in accuracy will be marginal at best. I looked into it some years ago and passed on the idea. As I'm still getting very good accuracy with my PT92, I'm not going to bother.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't believe it! I was just looking for a barrel bushing for my old 1989 PT 92 this morning.
I found the bushings made by Master Gun Parts (StainessTaurus/Beretta Bushing - Gun Parts Made in America for sale! - (Powered by CubeCart)) who also sells on eBay.
And I read about the barrel rear rails and breach lock-up being more important.
But! What bugs me most about the up front slop against the slide is that the barrel sitting on the bottom of the slide opening accounts for about 15 MOA according to my measurements which has been a real pain for me trying to shim up the rear sight correctly!

So if anything, install one of the above barrel bushing for only $15 max to help correct low shots before you mess with or replace the rear sight to fix the problem.

And there ya have it!

Here ya go! Just do it!

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/126771-pt-92-coffee-can-barrel-bushing-eureka.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't believe it! I was just looking for a barrel bushing for my old 1989 PT 92 this morning.
I found the bushings made by Master Gun Parts (StainessTaurus/Beretta Bushing - Gun Parts Made in America for sale! - (Powered by CubeCart)) who also sells on eBay.
And I read about the barrel rear rails and breach lock-up being more important.
But! What bugs me most about the up front slop against the slide is that the barrel sitting on the bottom of the slide opening accounts for about 15 MOA according to my measurements which has been a real pain for me trying to shim up the rear sight correctly!

So if anything, install one of the above barrel bushing for only $15 max to help correct low shots before you mess with or replace the rear sight to fix the problem.

And there ya have it!
92 series pistols are capable of shooting groups close to 1" at 25 yards from a rest. Are you shooting anywhere close to 2" at 25 yards right now?

These guns do not work like Browning guns. The precision does not come from jamming the barrel and slide together, but in how the slide and barrel each ride in their own rails.

That bushing you've found can't do much of anything, because it can't be tightly fitted to the barrel. If it was, you wouldn't be able to tilt the barrel to get it out of the gun during stripping. The main thing it is going to do is scrape the finish off your barrel.

This guy makes a removable bushing system that is tightly fitted to the slide that you unscrew from the barrel. Everyone claims it does actually make the gun even more accurate, but no one has really tested that. But he's doing it the correct way, at least.
WAL's conical bushing review - Beretta Forum

People are always trying to "fix" the way the 92 lockup system works, when it works perfectly fine the way Walther designed it for the P-38. The 92 series is one of the most accurate combat guns around, but people who spend all their time shooting at 7 yards like to comment on how they doesn't lock up right.

Your best accuracy investment for this pistol is good ammo and a trigger job. When you've reached the accuracy limits of the weapon - buy yourself a Sig P210; you'd have earned it by then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Of you have a snap-cap, chamber it and then see how much wiggle room or slop you have. When everything is locked into place, it is pretty much locked into place. Bill(WAL) does great work on his barrel bushings and it follows the design of an Italian Shooting team, if not The Italian Shooting Team.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts