Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 17rd Taurus factory mags for my PT92 AFS, two came with it. I am having an issue with the mags when inserting them. Right when I insert the mags, just as the mag comes into contact with the mag catch/release, the mag will stop dead...like the the catch isn't retracting all the time to allow the mag to go past it until it enters the hole in the side of the mag once the mag reaches fully entered position.

If you look at my pic of the mag well, on the left side side you'll see the release/catch I'm talking about. This is what the magazine is coming into contact with; as you push the mag in; the mag is supposed to push this in until it reaches the catch hole on the mag, then it pops back out, locking the mag in. You see the left lower corner of the mag by the follower, where the black is worn off (right where the gap is between the yellow/orange follower and the magazine metal frame) that's exactly where the mags are hanging up. They don't do it all the time either. Like I said, I have 7 magazines and they ALL do this; therefore, I'm inclined to believe the problem is the mag release/catch. When the mags hang up, if you barely push the mag release button, then the mag goes right in and if you fiddle with the mags you can get them to finally go in, but I can't trust this as a defensive gun if I can't depend on my mags to go in and I'm using factory MAGS, not cheap a$$ aftermarket ones, I don't have a MECGAR to try, I wish I did, maybe the problem is the Taurus mags, but I doubt it.

I'm going to see if there's a local gunsmith here that can do something about this.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help but please let us know.

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts
You may also be having an issue with the Magazine Latch Spring. Call Taurus about having your Pistol repaired. All 7 Magazines having the same issue sounds a bit odd.

BTW, the modular Magazine Latch Assembly is easily removed by driving out the Pin in the Trigger Guard in front of it, should you think about attempting the Repair yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It might just be the angle of your pic, but that mag doesn't look right. Mine has a taper to the body as it approaches the open end of the mag. It's the taper that pushed the latch in. In your pic, I don't see a taper except at the feed lips. I've circled on you image when mine has the taper.

Yellow

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It does not look right, My pt92 mags do not have that bulge at the front either.it looks almost like the front of a sig p226 mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.