Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my PT99 for 24 years and very little trouble with it - fired 15 -20 k rounds and well maintained. Just lately I am getting one failure to eject with every magazine - tried lots of different loads - light or heavy makes no difference - a fired round remains in the chamber and loaded round comes up behind it.

The barrel and chamber are very clean. I took the slide apart and found some crud in the extractor and the firing pin channel - cleaned it up - the extractor and its spring look good as new - grip well and articulate freely - any other thoughts? I am open to suggestion.
Jim

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
After 24 years your springs could be getting weak. The look of the spring probably wouldn't matter as much as how many times it has cycled. I don't know what the predicted service life of the springs are but its a place to start.

Hopefully someone else here will have more ideas or info.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
18,576 Posts
With the Slide off of the Pistol, check to see if the extractor will hold a cartridge. If so, it's not your extractor or extractor spring.

Have you checked the Ejector on the frame for damage? Sounds like it may have lost some of it's extension.

While you can replace the Ejector yourself, it may be best to send it back to Taurus for that. It's held in by two pins and I'm not sure how tight those pins are, but I could research it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input but we do not seem to be golden yet. The springs have been replaced every 5k - the ejector has just a bit of rounding of the impact surfaces, but it is intact and appears functional - the action is clean and lubed with CLP - this is a real poser. The Taurus is not a carry gun, but it is a good one to teach new shooters on and it is quite accurate - I need to get it back to reliable or get rid of it. Hate to send it for factory repair but that may be the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am satisfied that it is fixed - I think the cleaning of the extractor assembly was what was needed - of course I cleaned and tweaked so many things that it may be hard to know. In any event I fired 200 rounds today without any failures using all 3 magazines loaded to full capacity. Good pistol and still reliable after all these years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts