Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Finally got my permits here in the wonderful state of NJ and I have landed on the PT92. My questions is this; is the 15rd PT92 SS a special order? or is it merely a 10 rd gun with the 15 capacity magazine? Please note, the 17 is illegal in NJ and I really dont want 10.

Thanks for the help!
Dan

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The magazine's to my knowledge are the only thing different in the pt92. I have the 17 rd mags, but have some 15 rounders, don't see a need for 10 rounders for my use. I would imagine the only thing different in the magazine is a limiter that's put in place for legal reasons.

I'd say go for it, you won't regret buying the pt92, it's a great firearm!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The magazine's to my knowledge are the only thing different in the pt92. I have the 17 rd mags, but have some 15 rounders, don't see a need for 10 rounders for my use. I would imagine the only thing different in the magazine is a limiter that's put in place for legal reasons.

I'd say go for it, you won't regret buying the pt92, it's a great firearm!
Thanks! So what you're saying is that I can get the 10 rd and just buy the 15 rd mags?

Dan

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have the 92 and 917, and to the best of my knowledge, I concur with Shokr21, Nothing but the mag capacity is limited. If 15 isn't enough, you'll have a spare mag anyway. :D Good choice, you will enjoy the 92. :)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Hi guys,

Finally got my permits here in the wonderful state of NJ and I have landed on the PT92. My questions is this; is the 15rd PT92 SS a special order? or is it merely a 10 rd gun with the 15 capacity magazine? Please note, the 17 is illegal in NJ and I really dont want 10.

Thanks for the help!
Dan
When I bought my PT 99 a number of years ago, it came with only a 10 round mag. That was the year the last year of the Clinton era hi-cap magazine ban and after the ban expired, Taurus offered a hi-cap mag to anyone who had bought a pistol with a 10 round only mag. I sent in my request and got my hi cap mag and still have the 10 round mag.

The only difference is the capacity of the magazine. Be careful of the NJ laws about magazine capacity. Do cause yourself trouble by having something that could get you arrested and damage your ability to own any firearms.

States like NJ and California really irritate me with their stupid gun laws, but the way to change that is to elect enough legislators that understand guns and the 2nd Amendment!

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Thanks! So what you're saying is that I can get the 10 rd and just buy the 15 rd mags?

Dan
In a word, 'Yes', but... Depending on your local laws, the gun may come with 10's, but make sure you can legally have higher capacity before purchase. Guns usually ship with mags of max capacity according to the local laws where it is shipped to. Are you buying on line or at LGS?? Verify your local laws!! Just having an 'illegal' magazine could really cost you. IANAL, so check the local laws first.

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You got it right. Just make sure you're in line with local laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
absolutely guys! 15 rd max capacity so I will go with 10 if and when I order. Thanks again to all who answered.

Dan

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
I'm presuming from the ping-oong manner of the banter that the max legal magazine capacity in NJ is 10 rounds.

If so, I'd go for the lighter more compact Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro that comes with either 10 or 12 rd. Mags, depending on your state's laws
If the grass root gun owners can't vote your gun hateing politicians out of office, then I'd move to a better state.

Like Florida where you don't need a permit to buy any gun or capacity magazine you want.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You'll love the PT92...I certainly am pleased with mine!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
..... The only difference is the capacity of the magazine. Be careful of the NJ laws about magazine capacity. Do cause yourself trouble by having something that could get you arrested and damage your ability to own any firearms........
Correcting my error in the sentence above. I meant to say," Don't cause yourself trouble....."

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Good choice for a first gun. I simply love my PT99 and so have others who have shot it. It is simple, reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. From a New Jersey escapee, "what exit you are at?"

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your choice. The PT92 is a great gun. I love mine!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Congrats on your gun.

Always follow the laws in your state and have fun shooting.

I've put a round or two through those guns myself. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts