Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put this on lay-away. Nice gun in all respects, but I can't find any data on it.

And what does the CS stand for?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's CS all right. Stared at the slide for some time trying to figure out what it meant. I guess I'll have to call Taurus Monday morning.

Just looked at your http reference. It's the PT917SS by listing - wonder if the CS stands for "Compact Stainless", given that the 917 is called a "Compact Plus". BTW the 20-round part is a 17-round mag with a 3-round extension. The gun also comes with a conventional 17-round mag as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called Taurus - it's a new model; the web site is wrong - the CS stands for Compact Ambi-safety. It's called a Compact Plus, and is basically a PT92 with some dimensional changes, and ships with a 17-round mag and a 20-round extended mag. I would have posted a photo, but when I went to my dealer to photograph it, my camera battery was dead.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Please post a photo later, when you can. I'm curious as to what it will look like.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The image is close to the one I have on lay-away - mine has a rail, and has the CS suffix. Other than that, it looks like my gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided I could afford to pull it out of lay-away. Haven't shot it yet, but here is a quick snap -

PT917 CS 9mm Stainless

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That is one sweet looking gun! I love the 92 design!

Kansas_Plainsman I have a few of questions for you if you don’t mind;
1) What is the barrel length of the gun?

2) ^ If it says in the manual it's under 4.2in, can you take a pair of callipers and drop a rod down the muzzle of an unloaded gun (sometimes the ’official’ barrel length is off) to see the barrel langth is?

3) Do you know if the standard 5in PT92 barrel would work in the gun? Do you have a PT92 to test it? If you do can take a photo of the two guns for size comparison.

4)) Also is the frame is aluminium or steel?

I would really appreciate if let me know. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) What is the barrel length of the gun?
The barrel itself is exactly a measured 4" from the crown to the back of the barrel top
2) ^ If it says in the manual it's under 4.2in, can you take a pair of calipers and drop a rod down the muzzle of an unloaded gun (sometimes the ’official’ barrel length is off) to see the barrel length is?
Don't have any calipers. A cleaning rod inserted to stop against the breach face is 4.25"
3) Do you know if the standard 5in PT92 barrel would work in the gun? Do you have a PT92 to test it? If you do can take a photo of the two guns for size comparison.
Don't know if the PT92 barrel would work - I don't have a PT92.
4)) Also is the frame is aluminium or steel?
Not sure - looks like it's a polished aluminum alloy but can't say for sure. The slide does look slightly different; I think it is surely stainless steel.
I would really appreciate if let me know. Thanks a lot!
Hope I helped. You might call Taurus directly on the materials and barrel substitution. I presume you are hoping it qualifies under Canadian law?

Clint

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic, kansas_plainsman! A very handsome pistol and I believe you'll be very happy with it!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A cleaning rod inserted to stop against the breach face is 4.25"
that's good news :) I know PT92 compact and Beretta 92 M are bore both legal here - and Very hard to find:)

btw does it say 4in in the manual?

and yes I'm from Canada...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Don't suppose anyone knows if it will accept standard PT92 mags? I assume it may be like the 24/7 45cal and PT145 using 24/7 mags (mag hangs out a tad). Surprised I missed this one from Taurus... any idea if it comes in blued, I couldn't find anything on it other then 2 of them on gunsamerica.com, one for about $500.00 and one for about $600.00.

May have to order one to play with while I wait on my SS PT1911 and 24/7 oss :-\

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The standard 17-round mags for it are marked for the PT92, the PT99 and the PT917. So, more than yes - they are the same magazine.

And the model does come in blue as well. Haven't seen one yet, but the web site mentions it (with the same error about it being discontinued)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The same mags will be handy since I already have 2 PT92's and a Beretta Storm CX4, meaning I have 20 plus mags between 10,15,17&20rds. I usually go for Blued firearms, but the stainless looks nice :)

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Kansas_Plainsman,

1.) Did that 20 round magazine come with your PT917?
2.) Is it a MecGar or Taurus sourced Magazine?
3.) Where can one buy them at a good price?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts