Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to start a new thread on this PT845, but I have a question:

The slide will NOT sling shot at all. I can't get it do do it empty or with a loaded magazine. :???:

Now, my PT840 will do it every time......no problem. I can get the PT840 to sling shot with ease. :-\

Is this a slide lock issue? If I use the slide release, it will close the slide with no mag and it will close fine with a loaded mag. Just wondering if I need to send this in to Taurus to be looked at.

Also......in comparing the two guns (PT840 vs PT845) the PT840 seems "tighter" and there is minimal barrel slop. The PT845 seems "looser" and has more barrel slop/wiggle when the slide is open.

I am puzzled.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Well Scott, we exchanged PM's about this. Get with Taurus CS; & see what they can do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my understanding of slingshot...from the slide being locked back, rack the slide and let it go to release the slide lock (rather than pressing down on the slide release).

with that being side. I have the same "issue" with my 845. Mag in or out, I can't slingshot the slide.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Fla24/7 said:
Okay, I give up..wtf is "sling shot"?
Its when you insert a new mag after an empty one. Slide is locked back. When you insert the mag and slap the bottom the slide "sling shots" forward.

IMO its really a non issue. Also IMO a solid gun should not "sling shot". If the gun does it and you like that sort of thing more power to ya.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Think that would make me nervous..I'm happy tripping the slide release to chamber a round (which is finally easier to do after 800 or so rounds! ;))

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Sling Shoting, is pushing or pulling the slide to rear, then releasing it to put the gun in battery! None of my guns fail to work in this manner. I am not sure if the 845 is not supposed to do this or not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Okay, gonna have to try that Saturday at the range...not sure if my 24/7 does that or not

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Yes you do it manually by grasping the slide and quickly racking back letting go at its furthest point and letting it load as if fired.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Not too many pistols have the ambidexterous slide stop like the 845- are you sure you're not activating to weak side stop with your finger, while trying to slingshot?

I ask, because if you're "keeping your booger hook off the bang switch", your trigger finger may be in the vicinity of the ambi side of the stop lever. Just an idea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want to clarify what slingshotting the slide means:

On a semi-automatic handgun, if the slide is OPEN (in the locked open position) you simply PULL BACK on the slide (just slightly to the rear) and the slide SHOULD return to battery (go forward) WITHOUT having to touch the slide release lever. This SHOULD happen if the gun is empty or loaded.
**My PT840 does it 100% of the time.......so why won't my PT845?
**Please.........any PT845 owners let me know if yours works in slingshot mode or not.

On a 1911 style handgun this is the PREFERRED way to chamber a round, and this is how you are instructed to operate a 1911.

Again, I have SEVERAL semiauto handguns (1911, Cougar, FNP-9, PT840) and they ALL will slingshot 100% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Yes that is what it is but the move has to be fast and you cannot ride the slide forward with your hand or it could jam.

Once again pull back fast and hard and release when you feel it hit the vary back. Thats a sling shot of a semi-auto.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just pulled the slide off of my 845 and looked at the slide lock. There is no spring assisst or other mechanism to bring the slide lock back down after you push it up. Simply put...you put it up, it stays up. You push it down, it stays down. Thus from the slide locked back position - when you pull the slide back, it disengages from the lock. But since there is no mechanism to drop the slide lock down, when you let go of the slide, it comes to rest back on the slide lock and doesn't go into battery.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I just pulled my 845 out of the safe and checked it over. Here's what I found.

1. With the mag empty and the slide locked back - drop the empty mag and insert a full one. Pull back on the slide and let go and the gun chambers a round just as it's supposed too. It will also chamber a round in the same scenario by pressing down on the slide lock.

2. With the slide forward and the gun and mag empty - drop the empty mag, the slide will not lock back until you insert a mag. Insert an empty mag and cycle the slide and the slide locks back as it should. Insert a full mag and cycle the slide and the slide slams forward and chambers a round.

3. With the Safety lever pushed up into the safety position, the slide will not move regardless of the condition of the mag - full, empty, in the gun or out of the gun.

4. With a round in the chamber and the gun cocked, press the decocker down and reset the pistol to Double Action. - Pull the slide back and eject the unfired round and let the slide go (slingshot) and it chambers another round and cocks the hammer.

5. Empty gun/mag slide forward, with mag removed, slide does not lock back unless you manually press the slide lock up to engage the slide.

Before you attempt any of these checks be sure to unload all live rounds from your pistol and make sure its cleared and empty. Use snap caps for these tests. Do this in a safe and secure environment

This is the way my 845 works and it is the way it is supposed to work. If you are having problems with the slide locking back and staying locked back, I'd check the mags first. A mag that isn't properly seated or has lips that are spread too wide will keep the slide from closing properly. I'd also check inside the grip for a build up of crud. Mine came from the factory with a lot of preservative in there. That can squeeze your mag and may spread the feed lips. If you gun isn't functioning as described above and cleaning or checking different mags for fit doesn't help, I'd send it back and have Taurus check it over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Skiff-

I just got the PT845 out of the safe. The gun was NOT loaded. The PT845 without a magazine in it will NOT slingshot forward. The slide will come forward if I use the slide release.

Then, I loaded up a magazine, I locked the slide back on the PT845, then I inserted a FULL magazine into the PT845. IT WILL NOT SLINGSHOT the slide. I did try 1,2,3,4,5,6 times.......then on the 7th try.......it went to battery and chambered a round. :???: :rolleyes:

I dropped the loaded magazine out, racked the slide to empty the PT845 and I repeated the above steps. I inserted a loaded magazine and tried to slingshot the slide. This time on the 5th pull it chambered the round. :???:

This is weird.

My PT840 WILL 100% of the time slingshot the slide forward LOADED or UNLOADED. It goes to battery everytime, 100% of the time.

How can these 2 guns be THAT different?

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Your 845 has something holding the slide release partially into the slide lock position. When that happens it's usually a magazine problem. Either the mag lock is not seating all the way or the feed lips on the magazine may be interfering with the full release of the slide lock. The other possibility is that the slide lock is defective. Once you get it corrected it will work just like your 840!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Reading the comments of the Big Skiff, I tend to agree.
My 845 does indeed "slingshot" perfectly! Picture this:
if you had a real slingshot in your hand, they are usually shaped
like the letter "Y."

You insert a rock. You pull back on the rubber with the rock inside
the piece of leather or cloth holding the rock. You let go.
That's slingshotting!

When you insert a loaded mag into a semi-auto, you are holding the
gun in one hand; you grasp the rear of the slide with the other hand, pull & let go!
That's slingshotting with the semi-auto. This has to be done carefully with
rounds in the magazine.

If the pistol is functioning properly, after the last round is fired, the slide
will lock back. You would eject the empty mag, insert a loaded mag,
pull the slide back, & let go! My pistol doesn't go into battery if I tap the bottom
of the magazine.

It will only go into battery if I pull back on the slide & let go!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello everyone again.
If you remember back to my ORIGINAL post on this PT845:
"I just HAD to do it! Can you blame me?"

I talked about buying this PT845 for a "steal of a deal" from a local guy here in Las Vegas. His MAIN GRIPE about the PT845 was that IT WOULD NOT slingshot a loaded round in the chamber (like a 1911 would) and he didn't like this feature (or lack there of). So.......he sold it to me. I honestly thought this was strange, since my PT840 will slingshot 100% of the time. :???:

My REAL and ACTUAL question is this:

Is my PT845 broken? Is it supposed to slingshot like my PT840? I believe that there is something wrong with the PT845, and it might need to be looked at. :-\

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Vegasrph said:
My REAL and ACTUAL question is this:

Is my PT845 broken? Is it supposed to slingshot like my PT840? I believe that there is something wrong with the PT845, and it might need to be looked at. :-\
YES! There is something wrong with it. Something is keeping your slide release from disengaging properly. If you can't figure out the cause and fix it on your own, send it back to Taurus and let them fix it for you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I am going to have to do if I can't get it to work over the weekend. I am going to do a thorough/deep cleaning on the PT845 and make sure it isn't gunked up or over/under lubricated. I have a feeling, the slide lock isn't functioning properly on the PT845.

So, I am 0/2 on Taurus firearms. :rolleyes:

My PT840 has a bent/deformed recoil spring assembly (waiting for replacement)
My PT845 won't slingshot due to a possible defective slide lock/release.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts