Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Taurus. It is a PT840 Stainless Steel slide. I just noticed on the Taurus site that the PT840 SS is now considered a discontinued product, though the PT840 Black is still in production.

I picked it up yesterday from my FFL and just need a weekend above 20 degrees to head out to the range to test the handgun. I am going to clean and degrease the factory oil and lube it up with some Frog Lube. I ran a few snap caps through it and it seemed to function, though the last snap cap always failed to properly eject. I suspect this had to the slide locking as I manually cycled to empty, and may not behave this way when cycled normally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the new gun I just picked up a pt845 ss today also discontinued? It' a nice looking gun must cost to much to produce. Hope to shoot it this weekend, that is if I can find ammo (reasonably priced).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you. I have not had the opportunity to handle one of these yet but pictures of them from the web are sweet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am inspecting the handgun, and it seems that the slide is not fully centered in the frame when viewed from the front. From the front, my Calipers show 0.046" on the left and 0.022" on the right side of the slide.

See attached image...
IMG_1863.JPG

Also I am able to push down at the nose of the slide towards the frame move the slide downwards to 1.5965 from 1.602 inches

See images here...
IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG

My question is, is this normal and acceptable? The rear of the slide feels solid on the frame and the action appears normal.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 809c has minor play. One thing I noticed is when you put a loaded mag in, the slide feels much "tighter" I will say my 809c fires flawlessly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ordered a PT840C today so hopefully get it next week. I looked at 1 at MC Sports and felt great in my hand

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am hoping to get to the range on Sunday and test it out. I cleaned it with some CLP and then lubed it up with Frog Lube. The action feels smoother. I am very excited to test it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am hoping to get to the range on Sunday and test it out. I cleaned it with some CLP and then lubed it up with Frog Lube. The action feels smoother. I am very excited to test it.
If you are like me than you will love the design of this series, put up some range results after you do!!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Congrats on it, i know you will like it as the 800 series is great. I haven't checked the tolerances on the 809 I have, but I know it shoots great! Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 809c has minor play. One thing I noticed is when you put a loaded mag in, the slide feels much "tighter" I will say my 809c fires flawlessly.
Mine 809 acts similar, very slight play but when you put the mag in it's a lot tighter. See if that fixes some of the issues for you. You probably won't know for sure though until you start firing some live ammo.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
My 809 has some slide play when not loaded as well. But it has been as reliable as can be and is way more accurate than I will ever be. Clean it up good, and put 200-300 rounds through it before you worry about any non major issues like the slide play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up a SS 840c about two weeks ago. I'm not a fan of SS slides personally, but I love it. The slide does move a little when pressing on the end but it kinda makes sense when you think of the physics of it. My glock and sig both move as well. Welcome and enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the 840ss. I just put one on layaway and can't wait to get my hands on it. Please continue to post on your thread here about your experience with it. I look forward to reading about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still haven't made it to the range. Temperatures have been pretty cold and I have been sick for the last week. Huge snow storm coming tomorrow so it might not be this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally made it to the range. The gun worked flawlessly. Not a single FTF or FTE. It looks like I was consistently shooting low. My friend tried aswell and had similar results. The grouping however was good.

How do you adjust the rear sights for elevation? Can you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts