Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased my first taurus, the PT840. I wanted a .40s&w autoloader and after reading many reviews I decided on the Taurus based upon positive reviews and the amount of gun and accessories for the money (2 (15 round) mags, a hard case, cleaning brush, speed loader, and 2 alternate back straps) from my local shop for just under $300 NIB.

The first (2) magazine I loaded with blazer bass 180 gr fmj. I tested it without cleaning or lubing just the way it came new. I racked the slide and fired away, the first 2 shots went off without a hitch, the third failed to fully feed the round. I ejected the magazine and the round and reloaded the mag and fired again, the next round fired but stove piped the empty cartridge. I cleared it out and reloaded the magazine once again and continued to fire the remainder of the magazine with no issues. Due to the issues I decided not to load the other magazine but instead went and called it a day. I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the pistol and thought maybe it just didn't like those cheap blazer rounds. I loaded 1 magazine with Federal Hydrashock JHP 155 gr and the other Fiocchi XTP Extrema XTP 155 gr JHP. I went and fired off all 15 rounds of each magazine without a single issue.

Yesterday I thought I would finally put some quality range time in. I bought a box of 100 winchester 165 gr fmj, a box of 50 blazer brass 165 gr, and finally a box of magtech 180 gr jhp. I had once again cleaned and lubricated the gun before I went shooting but with both types of fmj ammo, the Winchester and Blazer I experienced almost every type of failure in the book. Double feed, failure to feed, failure to eject sometimes as often as every other round in a magazine. I switched the magazines every time to ensure that it was not a magazine issue. The strange thing is, it has never jammed with jhp even the cheap magtech ones. I really love the way the gun shoots when it does go bang, and since I keep jhp loads for home defense I feel fairly confident that it would do its job of protecting as it has never jammed or failed with jhp rounds. Although this is not my first handgun I am not terribly experienced and I was wondering if anyone can offer advice or has experienced similar issues. I do not want to replace the gun but if I cannot find some way of resolving the issue, I will have no choice but to.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off. Secondly, I can see your first big mistake is that you didn't clean it that very first time out. The stuff Taurus packs in their guns is a preservative, and has very little to no lubricating properties to it. The magazines are packed the same way, and after certain periods of time or certain circumstances (like shooting before the first cleaning) the preservative can basically fuse to the parts like a varnish. Personally, I would disassemble everything, including the magazines, and let them all soak in whatever gun cleaning product you use. Clean out every nook and cranny, then relube it and try it again before sending it off to Miami.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new PT845 yesterday, cosmoline all over the animal. Inside out side every where you can put a name on. shot like a dream with only wiping off the grip and slide.. 150 rounds of WWB and Federal. problem is probably the mag follower and the feed ramp. Inserting the new round at too high of angle, causing the nose of the bullet to hit the top of the chamber. The JHP is shorter nose....I've got a Stoeger 8045 with same problem,only with WWB (cheaper ammo). Have done a lot of light flling on the front lip of the mag follower (maybe 1 to 2 mm, and the top of the feed ramp. Yesterday only 2 out of 50 WWB ftf's. Federal was never a problem. Get a set of jeweler's files and remember a little goes long way

Joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome aboard,I would buy some better quality fmj's or fp's and run a couple boxes before trying the cheap stuff again.Always a good idea to use quality ammo during initial break in,quality ammo is less likely to cause issues while everything get's loosened up.Clean the gun good run it pretty wet with better ammo and report your results back here.Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice from everyone so far and the welcome to the forum. I field stripped and did a very thorough clean and lube job today hopefully that will help. I have not cleaned the magaazine yet but I plan to tomorrow. As far as using higher quality ammo, all of the high quality ammunition I see is all JHP. Does anyone have any suggestions on what FMJ ammo is least likely to cause problems? It seems that all of the high quality ammo I have seen is all JHP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
some good ammo Speer Lawman,Seller&Bellot,pmc bronze,Winchester target series all are pretty expensive but will be much better than the value stuff.I would go with the Speer lawman stuff myself but all are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice from everyone so far and the welcome to the forum. I field stripped and did a very thorough clean and lube job today hopefully that will help. I have not cleaned the magaazine yet but I plan to tomorrow. As far as using higher quality ammo, all of the high quality ammunition I see is all JHP. Does anyone have any suggestions on what FMJ ammo is least likely to cause problems? It seems that all of the high quality ammo I have seen is all JHP.
I'm 76 yrs old, have probably shot every semi auto made, except the high end customs and have never found one that didn't like something. That's why I am messing with my Stoger. Start with Federal or Fiocchi or even PMC. They usually go through just about every production gun made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try PMC or Fiocchi. Cheap and clean shooters

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
With all due respect here, All commercial ammunition is manufactured to meet or fall with in SAAMI/ or CIP specifications for that caliber.
Now they may be slghtly different power (plus P) or NATO and they may have different profiles in the actual projectile, but better quality??
Most foreign made ammo meets CIP standards that are a little higher than SAAMI, and some are NATO rated, even a bit hotter than CIP.
what you need to do in my opinion is first clean /lubricate the weapon well, usually if you run a new weapon a tad on the wet side for a few hundred rounds then they smooth out, this is especially true of lower priced weapons where machining /finishing may be a bit rough.
then try to find a ammunition that has a profile that will work in YOUR weapon.
IF you find multiple ammunition brands that will not operate correctly in the weapon then you need to return it to the manufacture for inspection/ repair.
And personally I would use that weapon as a nifty paper weight and not rely on it as a self defense weapon until It proved reliable with virtually all ammunitions in the correct caliber.
hope this has helped and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
All commercial ammo is not created equally and to say it is is foolish.So umc,wwb is the same quality as Lawman,S&b winchester elite?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum. When I got my PT 840 It stovepiped a few times so I got on line and read on one of the forums to load the magazines and let them stay full a couple of weeks I dont know for sure if it helped or not but I've had no more problems. (My real problem was lite reloads) the 840 was my first auto so i'm new too the game

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
All commercial ammo is not created equally and to say it is is foolish.So umc,wwb is the same quality as Lawman,S&b winchester elite?
AHH, No one said it was crated equal, actually I said exactly the opposite!
what was stated is that all ammo is manufactured to the same SAAMI /CIP standards.
these organizations are established partly to insure that every weapon chambered in a certain caliber will have a certain set of chamber measurements, not just a certain power level.
So IF the ammunition is manufactured within specs then in theory if the WEAPON is in spec for the caliber then all new ammunition should work in all weapons of good quality.
so if you are experiencing failures with multiple ammunition (new) then I would suggest to look at the weapon.
To suggest/ think that several ammunition manufactures produced batches of out o spec ammunition but yet a single manufactured weapon could not be at fault is flawed thinking.
OF course operator error could be the fault and the ammo and gun are fine as well.

·
Registered
24,806 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank You everyone for the advice. This is my third handgun and my second semi-auto. My first was a EEA Tanfoglio Witness P 9mm. I bought this gun lightly used in good condition. During the first couple weeks I owned it I had a few FTFs. I got slightly better ammo and cleaned it thoroughly and have not experienced 1 FTF, FTE or any other malfunction. I still own the witness but my taurus is actually just slightly more accurate when it doesn't jam.

I was really hoping my new in the box PT840 would have as few of issues. Unfortunately I did as was recommended by Montkun and disassembled and cleaned the magazine and field stripped the gun and cleaned it very thoroughly as well. The next day I took it out using Speer Gold Dot 155gr, Remington 165gr, and Hornady Critical Defense 155gr. I still had 1 double feed and 1 failure to feed from the Remington ammunition, 1 FTF from the Speer, and also 1 FTF from the Hornady. This saddens me greatly and I am disappointed with the unreliability with this gun. However I really love the trigger on the gun, the grip is fantastic, and it is accurate. Therefore I bit the bullet and decided to contact Taurus directly about fixing the problem. I went to the Taurus USA website and had a video chat with one of their customer representatives. They were extremely friendly and walked me through the whole process of shipping my gun to Miami. They also emailed me an insured overnight shipping label via UPS. I will be sending it off tomorrow with an expected return time of 4-6 weeks.

Thanks again to everyone in the forum for being welcoming and offering useful advice! I will update once I hear more from Taurus about my gun being sent off.

On a side note, my close friend and neighbor just purchased a Taurus PT140 Millenium G2. He brought it shooting the last time I took my PT840, and let me shoot several magazines. While my gun continued to malfunction, we went through 250 rounds of various ammo in his PT140 without a hitch. It was almost as accurate as mine and kicks only a little more than my full size PT840, even though it is a subcompact. I really fell in love with it. I liked it so much I am thinking about purchasing the PT111 Millenium 9mm which I have seen for as cheap as $197 brand new.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Hope you are able to get your issues squared away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts