Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got a new PT840 a few weeks ago and have been running some snap-caps through it, no live rounds yet and I have a couple of questions.

1) What's the little button above the loaded chamber indicator? It used to be flush with the slide, and now sticks up.
2) The loaded chamber tab barely sticks out at all (about 1/3rd as much as my OSS) Is this related to the above issue? I checked the manual and the exploded view diagram, but it didn't seem to help much
3) The slide/frame fit seems very poor at the front, and the gap is much larger on one side. The slide moves freely and doesn't seem to be binding.

Thanks for any help, opinions or ideas. These are great forums!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is the retaining pin for the LCI and the extractor. Field strip the gun and tap the pin back in place. I would put red locktight on it first to make sure it stays in place.

That gap is rather big. I might be the cause why your pin started moving. It the slide moves laterally too much it might shake the pin out. I would bring it to your dealer and show the gap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bigdlou, Thanks for the quick response and great info, it's much appreciated. I'll see if I can get someone local to look it over before I make it worse or lose something by banging it around (I'm mechanically challenged:confused:). My OSS seems much better put together than this 840. On top of the above issues, the mags on the 840 are very loose and rattle around.
The 840 looks and feels great, but so far the build quality is a little suspect. Once these bugs are ironed out, I'm sure it will be a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mag rattle is not an issue. It will stop rattling when you fully load the mag, since it will wedge the bullets between the slide and mag spring. Another issue with that type of tolerance would be its accuracy. Getting tight groupings will be hard. Try to contact Taurus and get their opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigdlou,
Thanks for the further info on the mags, that's one less thing to worry about. Any ideas on how/why the frame to slide fit is so far off? Since the slide is metal, I would have to guess the frame is somehow warped. Has anyone seen or heard of a similar problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
regarding the fit: when I bought my pt809, I examined four of them (the dealer was kind enough to allow me to) and I've chosen only one due to fit problems. By fit problems I mean rocking slide left to right at the back and the same misalignment problems as in picture provided at the front. The pt809, I've bought, has no fit problems at all. If I have to buy a handgun again, I would buy Taurus as I have no problems, but I would do the same procedure. I owe pt845 and pt809. My 845 has some slider movement left to right at the back, as at the time I bought it I didn't event think about it, and my 809 has no fit problems at all. Both guns are very accurate and have no problems at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts