Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a brand new PT809E and when I first collected it it was difficult to put the firearm in safe, but it worked.

Now, I can't put the firearm in safe at all! Decocker works perfect but I can't push it up to put in safe.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Robby,

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't, this is my first firearm and I'm on the lookout for an excellent guide on how to strip, clean and lubricate my Taurus as best possible.

And no, can't engage the safety when the slide is removed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No no no, you don't want to do that every time. Those are instructions for a detail disassembly of your firearm. You may never need to do that over the life of your firearm if you don't encounter any trouble.

What you want to do is a field strip and cleaning. Follow the manual, starting from page 25:

1. Remove the magazine
2. Pull the slide a little to the back, push both disassembly latches down, and let go of the slide
3. Pull of the slide
4. Remove recoil spring
5. Remove barrel

Apply an appropriate cleaner like Breakfree CLP ($3.97 at Walmart) to the slide rails, the bolt face, and the crevices of the slide. For the receiver, apply CLP to the trigger mechanism, the slide guides, the magazine catch. Wet a patch with CLP, and push out debris from the bore using a jag. Then apply more CLP to the barrel and to the outside surfaces, and allow the CLP to soak in for a while.

Using a clean toothbrush, scrub all metal surfaces vigorously to break up any fouling.With patches, wipe off all the surfaces that you have oiled. Re-apply oil and repeat until the patches are clean (no color to a slight gray). In the receiver, pay special attention to the end of the trigger bar, where it slides in a recess. For the barrel, scrub it with a bronze barrel brush of the correct caliber. I do that 20 times usually. Push out the crud with a dry jag and swab with wet patches until there is little to no gray transferred.

Once you have cleaned the pistol, use a lint-free microfiber cloth to wipe all the surfaces again. They should appear dry. Reassemble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts