Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to shoot my new PT809C. I want to start by saying that if you're considering an 809 or an 809C it is quite a gun for the money. I Can't tell you this is a totally unstoppable, 100% reliable pistol like I'd say about my Beretta 92fs Brigadier simply because I have not owned it long enough or shot it enough to swear by it like I can for my Beretta. But i will say for as much as I have shot it, the little Taurus performed very well.

I started with the same loving break-in procedure I have used on all my guns.... Load 3 rounds, Shoot, Clean.... I start with one saturated patch, run the brush through 10 times, one more wet patch, and then 2 dry patches.... Ready for 3 more rounds. I do this 5 times before ever filling the magazine and have always had good luck when I do this "conditioning" of a new barrel. I learned this from my Dad who taught me that a properly "conditioned" barrel will shoot more consistently and when sighting in our hunting rifles accuracy and consistency are more important than whether or not your scope cost more than the gun! Some might think this overkill and such a procedure would only be necessary on a long range hunting rifle that needs to be accurate within an inch or two at 200 yards. I think if it's worth owning it's worth taking care of and I do the same "break-in" across the board. I can't shoot a pistol accurately enough to truly ever know if this procedure actually improves my accuracy but I feel like it does.

I brought along 100 rounds of good ol' Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ (the 100 round value pack at Wal-Mart), And 50 rounds of HSM reloads 124 gr FMJ. I also ran one magazine of some defense loads made up by Dad but I can't tell you what the bullet was or how hot they were loaded, I can tell you that they fed flawlessly and I will be buying supplies for him to make me up 2 or 3 hundred of them to run through before saying that they are reliable for defense loads. I'll find out what bullet / powder / OAL was for those of you that would like to know.

First magazine I aimed top left bullseye and ran 13 of the Federal with the target positioned at 15 feet. All rounds hit within a 2.5 inch group and once the target quit "swinging" I reloaded with the 17 round magazine and put 17 rounds in the top right bullseye leaving a hole about 2" side to side, I did have 1 wild round that hit 1 inch right of the "big hole" and elevation was on track with the rest. I ran the rest of one 50 round box through the same target really just testing how the gun fed and not trying so hard for accurate shooting. I switched to the HSM reloads after that one box of Federal and they shot and fed just as well as the Federal. The nasty JHP rounds my Dad made me were all aimed at the zombie targets and also seem to be more accurate than I am.

By the end of the trip I shot all 100 of the Federal, 34 of the HSM, and 13 of Dad's reloads. I had absolutely no problems with the gun, every round fed / ejected and quick double taps were easy with a very positive trigger reset and predictable, smooth trigger pull. I tested the decocker with 10 rounds and double action trigger pull was long, yet predictable and very manageable. Admittedly I am not nearly as accurate on the first shot when I decock and shoot double action on first round, but I feel confident that the decocker functions reliably enough to carry this gun decocked with "one in the pipe". I won't carry this gun for self defense until it has proven reliable with at least 500 rounds down range but after today I am certain that will not be a problem. I guess the only thing missing is pictures of my wasted targets but I had a brain fart and threw them away at the range :( next time I'll take some splatter targets and get some good photos of the best groups I can manage with this little thing. I also found a great kydex holster for the 809C that I'll post up as soon as I get some pictures and finish my "custom fitting"

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your range report on your outstanding new PT809C. :D

I don't think you'll hear any complaints for our forum members on the length of your range report. ;)

Reactions: RobW

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Consider the Old Faithful holster.

If you want to borrow my press so you can make it, I'll be happy to ship it to you.

My 809c is the shit. My Old Faithful is the shit, too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Consider the Old Faithful holster.

If you want to borrow my press so you can make it, I'll be happy to ship it to you.

My 809c is the shit. My Old Faithful is the shit, too!
Did you build your press with your own foam and such, or did you buy their press and foam? I've been thinking about theirs but I haven't been happy with any of my other IWB holsters. The one I bought is a Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment holster. It's worn outside the pants but it rides high enough that concealment is not an issue, I wear baggy tee shirts most of the time and if necessary I'll throw on a sleeveless hickory shirt to make sure it stays hidden. The only thing is that the holster I bought is not made for the 809C, It's actually a Glock holster. My 809C fits "almost perfect" and with a slight modification with a heat gun and a small added piece of high density foam it is actually a perfect fit. The old faithful holster looks more comfortable than any I've tried, but I'm not slim and worry that my spare tire might make that thing uncomfortable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Want to hear more!

Thanks for this great review. I just ordered an 809C and I hope to have the same experience. I would be very interested in any of your future posts, including pics of the gun, targets, and holster options. I have done the "conditioning" routine also, but not quite as disciplined about it as you are. I think it's a good idea. Joe H.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Did you build your press with your own foam and such, or did you buy their press and foam? I've been thinking about theirs but I haven't been happy with any of my other IWB holsters. The one I bought is a Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment holster. It's worn outside the pants but it rides high enough that concealment is not an issue, I wear baggy tee shirts most of the time and if necessary I'll throw on a sleeveless hickory shirt to make sure it stays hidden. The only thing is that the holster I bought is not made for the 809C, It's actually a Glock holster. My 809C fits "almost perfect" and with a slight modification with a heat gun and a small added piece of high density foam it is actually a perfect fit. The old faithful holster looks more comfortable than any I've tried, but I'm not slim and worry that my spare tire might make that thing uncomfortable.
I made it FOR the PT 809c. I have foam and all. Let me check when I get home! Oh, and it fits like a glove. It's a super-comfortable IWB holster that just works. Retention is very adjustable too. It's breaking in nicely and the materials seem top notch. FWIW, I am a thin guy who doesn't have any spare doughnuts hanging around the middle, so YMMV, but I've heard that people who are "more blessed" find this to be THE best kind of design.

Link to thread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rifleshooter, where's your review of the 809C?

I made it FOR the PT 809c. I have foam and all. Let me check when I get home! Oh, and it fits like a glove. It's a super-comfortable IWB holster that just works. Retention is very adjustable too. It's breaking in nicely and the materials seem top notch. FWIW, I am a thin guy who doesn't have any spare doughnuts hanging around the middle, so YMMV, but I've heard that people who are "more blessed" find this to be THE best kind of design.

Link to thread.
I read it once and now cannot find it. Can you give me the link to your most excellent review and comments about the 809C? Thanks. Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Link to thread.
Your holster looks great... Nicely done. I might try one of those when I have the money and my wife settles down a bit about all the other "gun stuff" I've been buying. I'm going to try and build myself a press like the one they're selling on the Old Faithful Holsters website. I'd like to try making a few for some friends too. It looks fairly easy on their "how-to" videos.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very nice report Murdock. I can't decide on my CW and this is one I'm looking at.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Hey you did a lot better then I usually do. My write ups usually go like this: Picked up gun. Went to range. It shot good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey you did a lot better then I usually do. My write ups usually go like this: Picked up gun. Went to range. It shot good.
I wanted to keep it short and sweet, I just couldn't keep to what I wanted to say without writing a book. I've since had the 809C out again at the gravel pit and oce again this thing performed exceptionally well. I want to set up at my bench rest at my mother in law's acreage and really test how accurate the gun is. I already know it's more accurate than I can shoot but I'd like to see what it can do at 25 feet while well rested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All - new to the forum & thread; just bought 809c. Does anyone know where I can buy the small 13 round mag for this?
The 13 round mag for the 809C is available through Taurus customer service, part number 5-10809C-13, the 17 round mag is part number 5-10809. Taurus customer service: 305-624-1115.

I don't know if they're available anywhere else but I got my extra mags right from Taurus and it took 10 days to get to me in WA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congratulations and excellent range report! I picked up my 809c last weekend and got to the range on Sunday but I wasn't as disciplined as you. I did find the gun to be accurate right out of the box and fun to shoot as well. I was wondering about the extra mags you got from Taurus...did the 17 round mag come with the spacer sleeve? I know they've been hard to come by in the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations and excellent range report! I picked up my 809c last weekend and got to the range on Sunday but I wasn't as disciplined as you. I did find the gun to be accurate right out of the box and fun to shoot as well. I was wondering about the extra mags you got from Taurus...did the 17 round mag come with the spacer sleeve? I know they've been hard to come by in the past.
My new 809c came with the grip extender sleeve for the 17 rd mag.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts