Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT809 with grip sleeves?

Tags
pt809
13K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
I didn't set out to buy the PT809 when I did in December. I was actually looking at the 24/7 G2. Before that, we rented an XD(M) twice. My wife liked the soft rubber grips of the last two examples, which she finds lacking in the PT809's hard plastic, albeit with ribbing and contours.

I thought a $10+ set of grip sleeves (Hogue Handall, or similar) might be a way to forestall purchasing a $600 XD(M). Maybe she'll shoot better with it too *whistle*

Has anyone tried them on the 800 series? Which models (and sizes) work well?

#2 ·
I have the Hogue on my 24/7G2C, but it doesn't fit quite right being a compact. You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the 809, but they are easy enough to trim. Of course, if she insists, you'll just have to buy another gun (even if it is an XD LOL). :D

(I'll come back and post a pic, but can't seem to find it at the moment.)

#3 ·
Here it is with the Sig P238. I still haven't gotten it quite right. Pachmyer makes sleeves in more other sizes, but I prefer the palm swell of the Hogue. Good luck with that.

Attachments

#5 ·
The 24/7G2 is practically identical. The finger ridges are part of the sleeve, but they are kind of 'hollow' so they conform to the existing grip. To me, it seems to make the grooves more distinct (higher ridges), but not bulky. Depending on how high up the frame you 'install' the sleeve, you may have to trim around the mag release. Limbsaver is another option, and is 'smooth' if you don't want the ridges. Some have just used a bicycle inner tube. If you have a local shop nearby, you may be able to take the gun in (CHECK FIRST!!) and try them on. I usually have the Hogue wrap arounds on everything else I shoot, as you can see on the P238, so the G2 just didn't feel right. It really helps, IMHO.

#6 ·
Thanks. A bicycle inner tube will cost me $6 but won't save me an XD(M)... :p

Doesn't the G2 already have a rubberized grip? I think that was the difference with the G1.

The Limbsaver is looking quite attractive right now. Now if I can find a way to buy it locally and save $8 on shipping. I'm still feeling a little iffy about the Hogues. Is there any wiggle room at all due to the finger grooves not aligning perfectly? MY LGS/range is a dealer for the Hogues, and I'll ask them if I can try them on.

#7 ·
I guess you'd have to buy the whole bike (or two). :D

The G2 is the same, hard poly as the 800's, and while it fit my hand well, I didn't think it was as 'comfortable', and non-slip as I like. Mine is so tight, there is ZERO wiggle room. Even with the .45 recoil, I've never had a grip issue. I also have one on my Ruger SR9C, and no problems there either.

#10 ·
To summarize, the following fit the 800 series well:

• Hogue Handalls (full size)
  • Pachmayr Grip Gloves (# 05164)
  • Limbsaver Pro, large full (# 12011) with no finger ridges
All of them are about $10++.

I now have a shopping list to take to my LGS. Thanks everyone!

Mod: Maybe we can change the title and sticky it for 800 series owners looking for grip sleeves?

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you fellas for all of your great info! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will definately look into these for my 809ss. I have large hands too...I've already changed out the backstrap to the largest one and could use a lil more grip on it!

Excellent post!! :yipee:

#11 ·
Hey Flinger, When I was looking at the Pachmayr it seemed to 'smooth' the finger grooves. How does yours feel?? Are the ridges still pronounced?? Thanks.

#12 ·
Thanks to all for your comments.

I bought the Limbsaver (large) in the end. It fits perfectly.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

That said, I gave it a go today and I don't think I like it. While it's makes simply holding the pistol very comfortable, it makes it hard to tweak my grip to align my sights. Even though it fit the pistol snugly, I felt that I couldn't grip the pistol as rigidly, due to the relatively thick rubber's ability to "give". When Breakfree got on it, it was slick and even harder to wipe clean than the bare polymer.

I'll give it a try once more... and if it doesn't work out, maybe you'll see it in "pay it forward".

#18 · (Edited)
The Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove for the S&W M&P fits quite a few other handguns and will most likely fit your PT809.
I have one on my 24/7 Pro and Canik 55 TP-9

Size Comparison of Canik 55 TP-9 vs Taurus 24/7 Pro - both in 9mm
Both Pistols have the Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove normally intended for the S&W M&P installed

I like the Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove better than the original Ribber Grips that eventually degraded.
I did try the Hogue Handall on the 9mm 24/7 Pro, but it made the Grip a bit too large, which is rather odd, as I like the Hogues on quite a few other handguns, including my .45 24/7 OSS.

Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm with Hogue Handall Grip Sleeve, installed due to Factory Ribber Grip wearing off.
Generally, this works okay, but Grip Palmswell does add 1/2 inch to Grip. If you have large hands, you'll like it. If you don't, use the Pachamyr Tactical Grip Glove Model for the S&W M&P.

Reactions: PT99AF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.