Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think it was Monday night that I ordered a PT809 through a local guy. While I was at it, I had him order 2 additional mags as well since his price was as good as any I could fine. I'm hoping to get the call to pick it up today or tomorrow. My wife is out of town and I'm just hanging out with the kids, so although I won't make it to the range, I'll have plenty of time to clean it out real good, load up some snap caps, and dry fire away to see how it feels and decide which backstrap I like. I'll be posting some pics, don't worry. Actually, I need to take pics of everything I've got and show off my small collection, now that I've got a better camera on my phone, it'll be super easy. Hope I get a good one!

Any good suggestions on holster options? I like my Theis for my 709, but I'm not sure I'll be able to comfortably carry this larger pistol that way. I'm going to get a Fobus for range use, but I'm considering options for a decent leather OWB...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good luck, hope you enjoy it. I do. From my experience and from reading comments here, I think a few stoppages the first time you fire, and an initially stiff magazine release is normal, but the firearm should break in quickly. Need to cover your target with the dots, but looking at you list of firearms I suppose you've got that already.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I know the excitement you are now feeling, having placed your order for a new Taurus!

When I recently ordered my new Judge Ultralight from my local pawn shop / gun dealer, I was mega-pleased when they called two days later and told me it had arrived.

I've read many favorable reports on the PT809 pistol. You should be very happy with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I carry a 24/7 4" which is the same size as the 809 and I was worried at first but it carries nice

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he suggested the PT809 because it fit my list of needs pretty well so I am thinking about getting one myself. Congrats on the purchase and I would like to see the pictures of the accessories you buy for it. Keep us posted..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an email from my guy late yesterday afternoon. But he didn't sound like he was interested in finalizing the sale yesterday evening so we're meeting tonight. Sure, I was eager to get my hands on it, but I also knew I had a bunch of work to do last night and it probably wasn't getting done if I brought home a new gun. So it's all good.

lp04 & kaiged: I was SURE I was going to get a 24/7 DS but made the switch at the last minute because I liked the changable backstraps (I don't have huge hands and the 24/7 I rented recently felt a little big) and I really like the idea of being able to decock AND manually cock the hammer to put the gun back into SA.

I sold my first handgun, a PT92, to fund the purchase of my 709. I miss my PT92 a bit, but think the 809 will fill that void and then some. Mostly, I miss that fantastic trigger pull. I'm hoping the hammer-fired 809 gives me that trigger feel that no striker-fired gun I've handled gives me.

DAMN, I'm excited!

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase!!! As for a range holster, IMO heres a much better choice for around the same price! I got a Fobus for my OSS and hated it but recently picked up the Itac (well 2) and fell in love, theres no chance of hanging up or not drawing properly. Just a thought!

iTAC DEFENSE Store

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Congrats!! The 800's and G2's are basically the same except for hammer vs striker, I have the G2-45 and Theis holster and it is a very good combo, IMHO. You should be very happy.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Comp! I've looked at Itac in the past but it's been a while. I'll check it out.

Zylo, I got my 809 last night (pics and additional questions going up in a new thread) So I'll tuck it in my pants a bit and see if I think IWB is even a consideration. If so, I'll definitely be getting a Theis. I love my Theis for my 709.

Reactions: kaiged1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts