Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is inthe right section, but I'm planning on carrying my PT809 and was curious if anyone knew how to get rid of the mag rattle? Both magazines lock into the grip but it does have a certain rattle to it.... Any help would be appreciated......
?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get a mag rattle on my PT99 since I modified the mags to hold 16 rounds. i take out the 16th round and the rattle goes away. While everything functions perfectly, i can only guess that the last round is cocking the previous rounds at a slight angle allowing them to rattle. In short, is this rattle present with the full mag, partial mag, etc.?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I guess I should have said movement instead of rattle. There is just a slight movement. Makes a little ticking noise.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't have that problem with my 809. I load 16 in the mag and use it for CC. Hope you clear it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure if this is inthe right section, but I'm planning on carrying my PT809 and was curious if anyone knew how to get rid of the mag rattle? Both magazines lock into the grip but it does have a certain rattle to it.... Any help would be appreciated......
?

I know the rattle/movement. Have the same experience with my 809. Sooo, today I tried something that works wonders. I took a size 11 O-ring, 3/32 wall, and slipped it over the top of the mag and slithered it down to the base plate. Sort of like putting on a, well, you know. No movement, no rattle, no release problems. Taurus could fix this issue with new base plates that have more material on the upper (mag well) side. Actually, if you can find a larger size O-ring, say a 16 with the 3/32 wall, I think that would even be better. I will continue down this path.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Funny...just picked up my 809, shook it, and dang if it didn't rattle. Think I ran short on HP's and didn't top it off. Just kidding. Actually, if it does it all the time, I have honestly never noticed it; I do carry it every day, have for close to a year now, and never noticed it during carry. You'll be okay. HK-Mike said it...stop shaking it, you'll quit hearing it.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
My mag doesn't rattle in the gun but when you shake the gun the slide rattles. When I hold the gun and shake it there isn't any rattle so I would say when holstered, you won't here any rattling.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
My PT809 (my daily carry) has the mag rattle when fully loaded and while holstered the sound may not be detected, it bothered me. I fixed the problem by sliding a small black o ring over the mag and sliding it to the very bottom of the mag and when inserted in the gun, the rattle is gone. I have to replace the o rings about every 6 months, but they're cheap and readily available at any auto parts store. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Must be a typical 800 series thing, my 840 does the same.

·
Banned
281 Posts
I know the rattle/movement. Have the same experience with my 809. Sooo, today I tried something that works wonders. I took a size 11 O-ring, 3/32 wall, and slipped it over the top of the mag and slithered it down to the base plate. Sort of like putting on a, well, you know. No movement, no rattle, no release problems. Taurus could fix this issue with new base plates that have more material on the upper (mag well) side. Actually, if you can find a larger size O-ring, say a 16 with the 3/32 wall, I think that would even be better. I will continue down this path.
Update for those who are interested...

For my PT809, I tried the #11 o-rings, but they were stretched tighter to fit and one broke after some range use. I recommend the #14 o-rings as they don't have to stretch as much and are the same diameter. I didn't try the next #15 o-rings because they were thicker, but if anyone does try them and they work well, please post!

I only updated this older thread for those who may be searching for a solution (googling, etc) to the magazine rattle of the taurus 800 series.

Tag words:

Taurus pt809 pt840 pt845 magazine rattle

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I have several sei-auto's that have mags that rattle. Never any feeding issues with them though. I wouldn't worry about it. If you were cramped into a tight spot waiting to go for a 1100 fps ride you'd be shaking too!

·
Banned
281 Posts
I have several sei-auto's that have mags that rattle. Never any feeding issues with them though. I wouldn't worry about it. If you were cramped into a tight spot waiting to go for a 1100 fps ride you'd be shaking too!
Good one! I only posted to this old thread because the pt800 taurus series does have a significant magazine rattle (not talking about a full mag bullet rattle which it also has).

The post I replied to (I think) recommended the #11 0-ring and I found that it was too small. The #14 0-ring seems to fit better on the mag.

OK... you managed to point out my anal retentive qualities... (grin)

In any case, future googlers will find this thread and say... "What an anal OCD". But they will have what they were looking for hopefully. :D

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
My 809 is loose in both the slide and magazine, but really does not rattle. It honestly does not bother me unless I worry about it. Might try the o-rings one day.

·
Banned
281 Posts
My 809 is loose in both the slide and magazine, but really does not rattle. It honestly does not bother me unless I worry about it. Might try the o-rings one day.
My slide still rattles if I shake the gun. With the 0-ring on the magazine, that doesn't rattle. My Pt809 shoots great, so I don't worry too much about the looseness of the slide. Wish it was tighter, but
it shoots good, so...

The bullets still rattle when the mag is full, but there is no fix for that. So, I fixed the mag rattle with the 0-ring. I am happy. If you are happy with the gun without the 0-ring on the mag, good for you!

I like the o-ring. It reduced some of the rattle... the rattle that was more likely to happen. The slide rattle seems to require much high shaking of the gun to be significant. YMMV JHMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts