Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my PT809 for a week now, and i have to say that my initial concern is no longer a concern.

My only gripe was the trigger pull, it was extremely heavy. Heavy to the point that after a few rounds I was visibly shaking trying to pull the trigger and stay on target. No more. The trigger has lightened considerably. Still a bit heavy, but really, not bad at all. I like the smooth face of the trigger and the quick reset. Don't like the take-up in single action, but its really not a big deal.

The controls are perfectly placed. Unlike my 1911, that requires me to shift my grip and turn the pistol sideways to engage the slide catch, I can operate all the controls on the PT 809 without breaking my grip. I also like the beveled magazine well. Good form Taurus!

I have one magazine that is running fine, the other has an occasional jam. There is just the tiniest bit of side to side play in the slide, and there are machine marks inside the slide, not an issue as they have no impact on function and is not noticeable when assembled.

Accuracy is good and i like the fact that most of the empties are somewhat weakly ejected and fall into a pile just to the right rear of me, with the occasional errant casing bouncing off my head. Better than my SCCY which throws its empty casings all across he!! and half of Georgia. Everything so far has been 115 grain, mixed between WWB, Perfecto and Tulammo Brass Max, with about 1/2 magazine if 135 grain Federals thrown in just to see if it would eat hollowpoints. It did. Need to get some of my 125 grain cast lead reloads out and see how it eats them.

I have been looking at this pistol for a year or more now, interested but did not want to spend the money until i actually held one in my hand. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one and I'm glad i did. I can see this becoming a favorite. Matter of fact, it has me thinking of an 809c and a 845!

I am looking for a good holster for it. My favorite leather shop does not list a holster for the 809. I have found a paddle holster from IMI that looks good, but i really prefer leather. I do not see this as being a problem to carry. I carry my full size 1911 from time to time and the 809 is just a tad smaller in most dimensions.

Edit: since i already know :nopics:I will post some pictures as soon as i find my card reader!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks for posting your observations. My 809 is one week old today and pretty much mimics your report. I have four magazines to use with mine and all of them performed well. The trigger was great out of the box. I had one fail to extract out of 418 rounds of 115gr. My 809c ejects the shells better than the 809, with no erratic head shots. I like the 809, but the 809c is my favorite.

004.JPG

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have said before and I will say it again...

I like those 800's !!!! Glad to hear yours is winning you over! Now shoot some for me!

Creek

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Great report on a great gun! Thanks for sharing. I have a Blackhawk meant for the 24/7 that works well. Can't help with the leather one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congratulations, glad you're liking your 809. Hope Taurus keeps this series around for a good long time.

·
22,282 Posts
Boy, these sound like great pistols! DSC01184.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts