Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received a PT809 as a Christmas present from my wife and am in love with the thing. Its my first handgun and am planning on taking the CWC class and test in the next year after I get some practice time in. From what Ive gathered the best way for me to carry is going to be in a IWB holster. I'd like to get a little input, hopefully from someone whe CCs a full size 809.

I am concerned that i will have difficulty keeping it concealed. Im a pretty skinny guy and dont want to carry a weapon that i am going to be unable to properly conceal.

I wouldnt mind another gun sometime in the near future, but am a little tight on cash and i enjoy the 809 and would like to keep it, but CC is the whole point of wanting a gun in the first place.

Thanks in advance for the input

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love my 809, although I've been catching brass in the face so I've taken it to a local smith for some tuning. Hopefully it comes back perfect! I've been using a Theis IWB holster for my 709 and liked it so much I got one for my 809, although I haven't used it yet - not even once. I'm 5' 8" and 160 lbs. I know I'll need an untucked button shirt or light jacket to hide the bulge. At least to hide it to my liking and comfort.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Love my 809!
That said, I'm also 5'8"/160 (Lommerse33, represent!), but unfortunately a bit of that is "Shiner Bock Belly". I have carried the 809 OWB in the winter, with a long shirt and jacket, but I'm awfully aware of its' presence, and potential for printing. Picked up a 709 that basically disappears IWB, so I'm set.
Never getting rid of my "evil high cap mag" 809, though! :guns:

Reactions: Lommerse33

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on receiving a great Christmas present!

I conceal carry a Millennium Pro PT145 in a Theis IWB holster, or in my recently purchased Theis OWB holster, and both keep the gun tucked in nicely to my side underneath an untucked shirt or under my jacket.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Just received a PT809 as a Christmas present from my wife and am in love with the thing. Its my first handgun and am planning on taking the CWC class and test in the next year after I get some practice time in. From what Ive gathered the best way for me to carry is going to be in a IWB holster. I'd like to get a little input, hopefully from someone whe CCs a full size 809.

I am concerned that i will have difficulty keeping it concealed. Im a pretty skinny guy and dont want to carry a weapon that i am going to be unable to properly conceal.

I wouldnt mind another gun sometime in the near future, but am a little tight on cash and i enjoy the 809 and would like to keep it, but CC is the whole point of wanting a gun in the first place.

Thanks in advance for the input

I used to cc the Ruger SR9 and the Ruger P90 which are full size pistols with IWB holsters or the belly wrap holsters. It is doable and you will need to dress around the concealed weapon. Now that I have the PT145 and the SR9c, cc has become much easier.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is it going to be possible to staybconcealed in a tshirt?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I am gonna get my CCW and the PT809 is my choice.... I have tried it and it seems doable with most of the clothing I wear. I will have to see how it is with an actual t- shirt, but slightly heavier weight long sleeve t's seem okay. I haven't tried with a holster yet but I think it will be doable.

·
Super Moderator
13,913 Posts
Sneaky Pete holsters.
Respectfully, Sneaky Pete makes holsters for the TCP .380, PT709, PT740, PT111, and PT140 Taurus-model pistols only, according to their website. The PT809 is full sized, and Sneaky Pete focuses on holsters for the smaller concealable pistols.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am 5'9" and 145 lbs. and a cross-draw holster works pretty good for concealment. Then again I'm biased I really like cross-draw. A IBW with no cant will work cross draw or strong side (in front of the hips).

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on receiving a great Christmas present!

I conceal carry a Millennium Pro PT145 in a Theis IWB holster, or in my recently purchased Theis OWB holster, and both keep the gun tucked in nicely to my side underneath an untucked shirt or under my jacket.
And here's a couple of photos of the Theis holsters I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
So is it going to be possible to staybconcealed in a tshirt?
I don't think it'll print too bad with darker colors or a shirt with some pattern to it. You'll have to try it out and see what carry position and clothing work best for you. Many will say that it's different for everyone - what's comfortable and what conceals best and how.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I have looked at both Theis and Old Faithful holsters but Theis is the only one ive found that makes an IWB for the 809. I really liked the Old Faithful holsters because you can adjust the tension of the Kydex as it ages, too bad they dont make one for the 809 and I dont have the needed tools for the mold it yourself kit they sell.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have two from Theis and I'll admit that these are the only two holsters I've ever owned/used of this type. So I can't speak to the other brands that many of the TA members like. But Tommy Theis is a TA forum supporter and I have nothing but good to say about my transactions with him.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

I CCW a PT845 which is the same pistol but in .45ACP and I use the large type Glock Sport holster at 3:00.

The holster only cost about $15.00.

Paul

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I think some of you are over concerned about printing. I carry a Glock 19 in warm weather under an untucked tshirt and no one notices. Once You get over being self concious about your gun, you'll realize that no one pays any attention.

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've carried a PT809 for nearly a month. While I wasn't made, there were two problems that cropped up which easily could have changed that. One, the weapon has audiable magazine play. Its not a big deal for home defense or range use, but walking around a quiet hallway got more interesting then normal when I carried it. Even though the magazine is not "loose" in the magwell, it does have enough play to clickety-clack as you walk. I carried mine IWB, and was careful not to move suddenly anytime the room got quiet. Problem #2 is the magazine's floorplate. It makes for a great and ergonomic grip when you shoot it, but it makes concealment a royal pain. That "chin" of the magazine sticks out so far that printing was frightfully easy to happen if I made any sideways movement. While most uninitiated won't spot the bulge, trained folks will recognize the angular bulge of the magazine bottom under your cover garment. Great pistol from a functional standpoint, but for a CCW piece it just didn't work for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think some of you are over concerned about printing. I carry a Glock 19 in warm weather under an untucked tshirt and no one notices. Once You get over being self concious about your gun, you'll realize that no one pays any attention.

Great report ! thanks for all the input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts