Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new PT809 last month; it's the first firearm I have owned. I've fired 600 rounds, and the magazine release is finally smooth, and I'm not getting stoppages like I did at the very beginning. I clean the frame, slide, and magazines after I fire with Remoil, but I do not detail strip it.

On my last range trip, I had a FTF which could not be remedied by the "double strike" function. Upon disassembly, I could see the firing pin, which is usually not visible. I sprayed it with oil, and tried to nudge the firing pin back with a pair of tweezers, but that did not help. Reassembling the firearm, racking the slide several times, and dry firing it a few times, I managed to get the firing pin to retract, and I managed to continue my session.

This occurred twice more, before I found the firing pin protruding from the bolt face. I tried some polymer safe Gunscrubber for the first time when I returned home, but that attempt to remove any remaining packing grease did not help. The weapon is now "on vacation" in Florida.

Questions:
  1. I know that the manual says that dry firing is bad for the firearm. I don't do it to practice, but I usually dry fire several times after I assemble the weapon to check its function (single, double action, check trigger reset). Is that excessive? Could that be the reason for this malfunction?
  2. Could the malfunction be due to the firing pin channel being full of grease? If so, how might one disassemble it to clean it? I've tried searching this forum, but there are no specific instructions for the PT809.
  3. Can I rely on Taurus' warranty repair status webpage? I sent the firearm in on Monday, it was received and signed for on Tuesday, but it still has not shown up today (Saturday).
  4. Should I have tried a local gunsmith before sending it on holiday? Taurus paid for return shipping, and I was feeling optimistic based on reports of 1-week turnarounds. I'm now feeling my firearm's absence, and I wonder if I could have fixed it locally for not very much.
Thanks in advance for your advise!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions except the status page on Taurus' website. It doesnVt ' get updated. Taurus will take care of you, but you usually have to call them for updates.

There should be a way to detail strip the firing pin, but I am not familiar with this model and do not want to stear you wrong.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I purchased a new PT809 last month; it's the first firearm I have owned. I've fired 600 rounds, and the magazine release is finally smooth, and I'm not getting stoppages like I did at the very beginning. I clean the frame, slide, and magazines after I fire with Remoil, but I do not detail strip it.

On my last range trip, I had a FTF which could not be remedied by the "double strike" function. Upon disassembly, I could see the firing pin, which is usually not visible. I sprayed it with oil, and tried to nudge the firing pin back with a pair of tweezers, but that did not help. Reassembling the firearm, racking the slide several times, and dry firing it a few times, I managed to get the firing pin to retract, and I managed to continue my session.

This occurred twice more, before I found the firing pin protruding from the bolt face. I tried some polymer safe Gunscrubber for the first time when I returned home, but that attempt to remove any remaining packing grease did not help. The weapon is now "on vacation" in Florida.

Questions:
  1. I know that the manual says that dry firing is bad for the firearm. I don't do it to practice, but I usually dry fire several times after I assemble the weapon to check its function (single, double action, check trigger reset). Is that excessive? Could that be the reason for this malfunction?
  2. Could the malfunction be due to the firing pin channel being full of grease? If so, how might one disassemble it to clean it? I've tried searching this forum, but there are no specific instructions for the PT809.
  3. Can I rely on Taurus' warranty repair status webpage? I sent the firearm in on Monday, it was received and signed for on Tuesday, but it still has not shown up today (Saturday).
  4. Should I have tried a local gunsmith before sending it on holiday? Taurus paid for return shipping, and I was feeling optimistic based on reports of 1-week turnarounds. I'm now feeling my firearm's absence, and I wonder if I could have fixed it locally for not very much.
Thanks in advance for your advise!
Sending any firearm in for service at the factory will take time. Reports of firearms coming back to their owners before the week is out are commendable but must be considered the exception to the rule on this sort of event. It is not merely a Taurus affiliated issue, as Smith and Wesson quoted me a two month wait time upon receipt of an ailing firearm I have before they could send me a printed invoice authorizing the needed repairs. If a weapon has to go back to the company plan on being without it for six months on the outside depending on the issue.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

The firearm was logged received on Monday, no updates yesterday, and this morning the repairs have been completed. I'm guessing I'll get it back this by the end of this week. 2 week turnaround with a holiday in between, very pleased!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second update:
It's waiting for pickup, and I'll get it tomorrow!

The diagnosis was that the firing pin housing was dirty; once it was cleaned, it functions fine. The Customer Service representative told me that Taurus does not recommend that we disassemble it for cleaning. Maybe without the packing grease I couldn't get to, such problems will happen less.

I also asked about my scratched magazine followers, and I was told that the scratches are purely cosmetic. They are not for sale individually, only complete magazines are sold.

·
Banned
171 Posts
It is easy to get the firing pin out of the 800 series of handguns.

remove the slide
1 Find firing pin safety button

2 Depress the firing pin safety button while pushing in on firing pin on the side the hammer strikes.
3 Lift up to remove the collar holding firing pin in place and viola your firing pin is out.

Can post pics if you want but it will take some time as i have to take all the pics.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
It is easy to get the firing pin out of the 800 series of handguns.

remove the slide
1 Find firing pin safety button

2 Depress the firing pin safety button while pushing in on firing pin on the side the hammer strikes.
3 Lift up to remove the collar holding firing pin in place and viola your firing pin is out.

Can post pics if you want but it will take some time as i have to take all the pics.
Very Interesting! Please post your directions w/pics over in the Gunsmithing Section and post a link to it here.
Sounds like it removes the same way a 1911 Firing Pin does.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I will do that tomorrow. It may take some time as I am slow with photos and editing and what not.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EBK! I'll try it tomorrow when I get my firearm back.

Pictures will be very welcome, when you have the opportunity.

Is the firing pin safety button the circle with a small piece "missing"?

·
Banned
171 Posts
Glad I could help! I was just coming here to apologize because I didn't have time to get to it today.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the range yesterday and got one light primer strike out of 50. Upon disassembly, the firing pin housing (freshly cleaned by Taurus) contained many brass shavings. Where do these brass shavings come from? Inside the cartridge, or is it being shaved off the brass as the action cycles?

Is the appearance of brass shavings brand dependent? I was shooting UMC Megapack for the first time, and did not experience firing pin issues after ~ 450 rounds of WWB & PMC prior.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shot another 50 rounds of UMC FMJ today, and I suspect it's the cause of the problem. One light strike again, and when I pushed the firing pin in to disassemble the firing pin housing to inspect it, I managed to recreate the problem I initially reported: the firing pin got stuck in the forward position, protruding from the bolt face. I fixed THAT by tapping the screwdriver, pushing the firing pin in the full forward position. I was thereafter able to disassemble the firing pin housing.

I swabbed the firing pin channel with a dry q-tip, and several brass shavings came out. A few more were embedded in the firing pin spring. I sprayed Remoil into the channel, and let it sit. Swabbing it again, there was a brown residue near the end of the channel which took many swabs to remove completely. Cleaned the springs and firing pin thoroughly, degreased the whole assembly with gunscrubber, assembled it, and will check again with WWB next time. Let's see how it goes.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
Where do these brass shavings come from?
You answered your own question below:
or is it being shaved off the brass as the action cycles?
Bingo! Usually as the Cartridge Case Rim slides into the Slide Bolt Face and it seems to be worse with some guns more than others. With some Guns this also goes away as they wear in. None of my Guns have ever had the tendency of Brass shavings to wind up in the Firing Pin area. Must be luck. Mostly, they would sometimes appear in the action near the Slide Bolt Face.

Sometimes Extractors have a tendency to shave Brass, but those shavings rarely wind up inside the Firing Pin area.

Is the appearance of brass shavings brand dependent?
Usually, No. But some brands may have more of a tendency to shave if that particular brand has a softer alloy Brass.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for getting back. Shot 80 rounds of BVAC remanufactured ammo with mostly WCC and some IMI headstamps. ~ 5 brass shavings and many swabs' worth of light brown fouling.

It seems that the tolerances & built-up dirt is enough to jam the firing pin in the forward position when I push it forward for disassembly, though I had no stoppages at the range. Again, the firing pin block axle popped out. I've dealt with it a few times and it no longer bothers me.

For a part which the manufacturer claims is not user-serviceable, I seem to be needing to clean it every range trip. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I just cleaned mine and boy I’m glad I did. It contained packing grease and some brass shavings. From now on I will do this procedure as part or my routine cleaning.

I don’t know why Taurus recommends against doing this? Heck, it’s so simple that a politician could do it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You answered your own question below:

Bingo! Usually as the Cartridge Case Rim slides into the Slide Bolt Face and it seems to be worse with some guns more than others. With some Guns this also goes away as they wear in. None of my Guns have ever had the tendency of Brass shavings to wind up in the Firing Pin area. Must be luck. Mostly, they would sometimes appear in the action near the Slide Bolt Face.

Sometimes Extractors have a tendency to shave Brass, but those shavings rarely wind up inside the Firing Pin area.

Usually, No. But some brands may have more of a tendency to shave if that particular brand has a softer alloy Brass.
Fired the last 20 rounds of BVAC, and the last 30 rounds of UMC today. More brown gunk (easily removed by ethyl acetate), but minimal brass shavings. Maybe some burr or edge is being smoothed out with use. I'll try cleaning every other range trip from now on, and monitor the situation.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My strong suspicion is this - the face of the slide where the firing pin channel is drilled is likely burred. As the cartridge is sliding upwards (and forwards) during chambering, the burr is scratching the cartridge heads and the little brass shavings are being pushed into the only space available to them - the firing pin channel. I am willing to bet you can take a small round rat-tail file made for detail work, put the tip in the hole taking great care not to greatly widen it, give it perhaps two turns (don't angle that file) and remove the burr. You'll have to do this with the firing pin out. I would follow up with a bunch of metal polish and burnish the face of the "bolt" and the firing pin channel. You will be able to access the area behind the firing pin channel with the pin itself removed; I'd get in there with Q-tips and metal polish until all foreign material was removed and all edges were not sharp. DON'T REMOVE ANY MATERIAL, just "de-horn" the edges.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree that it's probably some burr causing this trouble, because one month and 600 rounds after my PT809 went to Florida, I see only a few very tiny shavings (2-3 mm long, a hair wide), compared with at the beginning, when I saw 5-7 mm long, 0.2-0.3 mm wide shavings.

Thanks for your suggestion, Rifleshooter. I'll give it a go, and report back!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts