Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
800 series manual: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/800_series_manual.pdf

Steps as follow:

1. Depress the firing pin block (part 1.16)
    2012-01-19 21.28.41.jpg
  2. While the pin block is depressed, use another screwdriver or punch to depress the firing pin past the firing pin stop (part 1.14). Wiggle the firing pin stop out as far as you can so that the firing pin is unable to pop out.
    2012-01-19 21.29.10.jpg
  3. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to nudge the firing pin stop out.
    2012-01-19 21.29.54.jpg
  4. Depress the firing pin block again to allow the firing pin to spring out. Tap gently, or use a pair of forceps to remove the firing pin. The firing pin spring should fall out as well.
    2012-01-19 21.30.35.jpg
  5. The firing pin housing is disassembled.
    2012-01-19 21.32.35.jpg
Thanks EBK for your instructions (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/61537-pt809-firing-pin.html).

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Thanx for posting this! Stickyed!

Reactions: BigSkiff

·
Banned
171 Posts
You're welcome I am always glad to help and your instructions are much better than mine would have been lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the firing pin gets stuck in the forward position, protruding from the barrel, depress the firing pin block (part 1.16), use a screwdriver/punch to tap/push the firing pin to the full forward position. Then disassemble as normal.

After removing the firing pin stop, if the firing pin refuses to retract from the full forward position, depress the firing pin block, and push the firing pin out, e.g. with the handle of a toothbrush. If the firing pin block axle (part 1.25) falls out too, depress the firing pin block fully, ensure that it is aligned correctly, and replace the axle.

The axle doesn't seem to be directional, and there does not appear to have any other retaining mechanism other than pressure from the firing pin block and the slide stop.

That's what I figured out by trial and error; if I'm giving bad advise and potentially damaging the firearm, please let me know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got an 809 and have been to the range with it twice, 200 rounds through it with one FTF and one FTE. (limp wrist) I like it. If I need to disassemble the firing pine assembly I'll know where to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a problem, My firing pin block does not come out like yours did, I did everything you showed and that block won't budge, the firing pin is pushed all the way back clear of the block and I can figure out why it does not come out. this is a 845.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's your question again? Have you managed to remove the firing pin stop (part 1.14), the firing pin & firing pin spring?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats what I can not get to come out, I called it the block but its what you called the firing pin stop, I followed your instructions and depress the firing pin passed the stop and it still won't budge.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are two detents that snap it in place. If you're doing it for the first time, it might be a little stiff.

Fully depress the firing pin block (that prevents forward movement of the firing pin when the trigger is not squeezed). Use a punch or screwdriver to push the firing pin in until you can see the tip protrude from the bolt face.

Wiggle the firing pin stop loose. There should now be a gap between the firing pin stop and the slide body. Wedge a flat screwdriver in, and work the firing pin stop free. Once it has moved a little, you can let go of the firing pin, it should no longer be flush with the firing pin stop.

Don't force it, of course, but the very first time you disassemble it, it should be stiff. That's normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have done all that, the stop will not budge it tight against the slide body and will not wiggle even a little , it it tight up against slide body and there is no room to get a anything in there to pry it out. I thought of heating up a little to see it will move.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is frustrating, and I'm sorry if I keep going over things that might seem obvious to you. I can't see your slide, nor can I watch you as you try, so I can only try to explain it in words. Maybe someone else around might explain it better.

To confirm, firing pin is fully depressed and out of the way as you try to wiggle it out? If you have a pair of vise grips, maybe you can carefully grip the firing pin protruding from the bolt, while you work on the firing pin stop.

While the firing pin is depressed (it should not hinder the firing pin stop's travel at all), squirt a bit of Breakfree CLP and let it sit for a while, then try again? You can try to use the screwdriver pushing the firing pin in as a second class lever to lift the firing pin stop. I'd do that carefully, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am totally frustrated, I am going to lay this down for a while and come back later, If I don't I might do something I regret later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a fitted firing pin stop. Check first if the firing pin stop will move a little while the the firing pin is not pressed. If it is not moving even .005 inch then you have an over sized firing pin stop or gummed gunk in the channel of the slide and firing pin stop.

What I do with stubborn firing pin stops is I use a punch and small hammer to get it started. The punch should be roughly the same diameter as the firing pin. Use the punch and press the firing pin in while pressing the firing pin block. Make sure the firing pin moves forward. You can tell since the butt of the pin will disappear into the channel. The hard part is making sure the butt of the pin is in the channel and the tip of the punch is not. When you find that sweet spot use a small hammer to tap the punch downwards (not into the pin). Start with light taps and increase your tapping until you see movement in the firing pin stop. I use an 8oz. hammer and its weight is enough to move stuck pins when dropped around 5 inches away from the punch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well I put the whole thing in the freezer for 30 min. and than took it out and got it to move enough to get a screw driver under it to pry it out, man was it tight, but it is out. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
having the same problem. I'm very familiar with recoil operation and can completely disassemble easily. Firing pin stop is stuck in place. It won't budge like it was made too thick. Any advice? Oh mine is a.PT 809

1 - 20 of 51 Posts