Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've also posted this in the PT745 owner's corner.
Just bought a used PT745C. Love the feel :), but I'm having a problem with what I think is just a bad magazine. With an empty mag in and the slide back, I release the slide and it catches after moving a fraction of an inch. It's fine with the mag out. Is there something I can do to the mag? The follower just seems to be up a bit too high and not allowing the slide to move forward. Thanks for any help you can give. PS - Are all 745's 745C ?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of you must have a clue what to try besides a new mag

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you're describing is perfectly normal and the way your gun is supposed to function. When you have an empty mag (ie. after you've expended all of your rounds), the slide is supposed to stay open and lets you know you're empty. This is why when you insert a new EMPTY mag you cannot release it easily. However, when you insert a new mag with rounds in it (ie. you've changed out your empty mag for a reload), you can release the slide easily and chamber a new round. The magazine follower engages the slide stop lever when empty, but not when there are rounds in it. This a normal function in autoloaders.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm aware of that. What you didn't read was that when I push the slide release lever down to RELEASE the slide, it starts to move and then gets hung up on the magazine somehow. That's the part that's not normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I did read your complaint. So when you try to release the slide on an empty mag it moves forward a little and then stops? Sounds like the slide stop lever and the magazine follower are engaging correctly. Just how far is a "fraction of an inch"?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, when you lock the slide back on a semi auto ( with an empty OR full mag) and then you push the slide release lever down the slide goes all the way forward, RIGHT? Well, this one doesn't. It move maybe 1/10 of an inch and gets hung up. And that's not normal. I don't think you're following this right. Take out your pistol and try this so you understand what I'm saying. I have 50 some pistols and they all work just fine except this one.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm making this clear. But I don't think you're following me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry hivel9mm, I'm with Thunderjohn on this.

In the manual, pg. 16, No. 5:
"After the last round, the SLIDE will remain in the open position held by the SLIDE CATCH. In order to make it return to its rest position, press the SLIDE CATCH downward just above the LEFT GRIP."

My 24/7 PRO works as above. Its very hard to press the catch down, but if you do, the slide slams home.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does it do this with both mags? If only one mag does it then put the mags side by side and see and look for differences. Try a mag at a gun shop or range. Might be the gun but you said this doesn't happen with mags out, so try different mags first. If you can't find other mags or it does it with all mags send the gun back to taurus.
When you release the slide lock, with or without mags it should slide all the way forward.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks stephpd. Now at least 2 people understand me. I've fiddled with the mag a bit. I bent the ears of the mag over just a bit so the follower would stay down a bit. That lets the slide go forward properly, but then the follower doesn't come up high enough to keep the slide back when it should. Can't seem to find a happy medium. I only have the one mag, but I ordered another and it should be here tomorrow. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
32,530 Posts
TJ, have to give us the obigatory range report know that the problem is solved. ;D :D Glad to hear things are good for you again. Besides, we want range report juicy details. :rolleyes: :eek: ;D ;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try and get out within the next few days. I'll let you know how this thing shoots. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to here it's working. reading you sig line I thought it was much higher. 6.8%? Should check out the truth from Sarah Brady. Cant seem to get anywhere close. :puke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts