Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my PT745 3G is going back again to Miami for repair. This is second time for the same problem --mag releasing itself unassisted.

I am hating this. I really love this pistol. It's a great carry gun w/ a single stack and .45 power. But who wants to depend on this weapon with this problem? I just purchased a sticky IWB holster and found that each time I reach down to remove the weapon/holster, the magazine had disconnected. It dropped again at the range under fire. It's not my thumb as I am conscious of where it's placed on this weapon. I can also work it back and forth and get it to release. It does it on both mags, but one drops easier than the other.

After I field stripped it a few days ago, I was inserting the magazine and found the slide release takes some pressure when the mag is inserted as the top of the mags rides along side the slide release. I started pushing on the slide release and "click," the mag dropped out! Unbelievable. I've repeated this action and added the new finding in my letter to Taurus. I can't find anyone posting here having a similar experience. This is the second time this year the pistol is going back. Disappointed.

Note: The CS rep asked me what I had fired since I had the weapon back, and I told him a box of Federal, a box of CCI and half box of Tula. He immediately jumped on the steel-cased Tula and said that's what's causing the problem. I said "Really?" "You, a customer rep, already diagnosed it over the phone?" (Not slighting customer reps, but when they assume the role of a technician who hasn't seen the weapon and it being the second time this has come back to them this year for the same problem...? Come on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you were having an extractor problem then I could see blaming the ammo but when it is the mag release that is different. Sounds like the mag release isn't installed properly. "If you need to adjust it, use a screw driver; if you need fix it use a hammer if that doesn't work it is an electrical problem." :eek: :D

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
It is too bad you are having this problem, but there have been other reports of this and Taurus has made them right. Hopefully when it comes back this time, it will not have this problem again. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you were having an extractor problem then I could see blaming the ammo but when it is the mag release that is different. Sounds like the mag release isn't installed properly. "If you need to adjust it, use a screw driver; if you need fix it use a hammer if that doesn't work it is an electrical problem." :eek: :D
I'm sure one of those solutions will work. LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. After further discussions with customer service, they sent me a shipping label putting that expense on their ticket. That's appreciated. I await hearing from them and getting back my pistol...fixed. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
24,694 Posts
I hope they get it fixed this time.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Sounds like the mag catch is not engaging all the way, maybe a weak spring or oversized/improperly located catch.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I had the same problem (mag drop) with my PT745. Sent it back and Taurus fixed it at no cost to me. I really wanted to like this pistol but sold it due to other issues. I hope you have better luck than I did - mine may have been a lemon. Other members have them and seem to love them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this happen with my pt145. I used a small just a bit larger than the latch grove. Filed it down to bottom of slot. problem solved. Don't take very much off.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
For years I thought a butter knife was a screw driver.

Reactions: bujeezus

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes. I'll give those good people at Taurus an opportunity to solve this. If not I'm taking pliers and a blow torch to it. Going to get Medieval on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,881 Posts
For years I thought a butter knife was a screw driver.
You realize that you left yourself wide open for a comment about Marines, but being the wise Air Force veteran that I am, I'm just going to walk away without saying a word, whistling quietly to myself and looking at the clouds.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You realize that you left yourself wide open for a comment about Marines, but being the wise Air Force veteran that I am, I'm just going to walk away without saying a word, whistling quietly to myself and looking at the clouds.
HA!! I guess I need to clarify things.

When I was growing up a butter knife was often used as a screwdriver.

Of course my beloved Marine Corps taught me the error of my ways. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts