Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my "dynamic testing" period is over and I pronounce my 740 fit to CCW! I've run over 400 rounds of different types of 180 gr rounds through it with not a single issue. I then ran another 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 155 gr rounds, that I intend to carry, through it without any issues as well.

The only mods I've made are putting long grips on the magazines and a Crimson Trace laser on the pistol. Didn't take long to "dial in" the laser and get the bullets to go where the laser points. ;)

A few comments on the process:

1. I run a lot of rounds through any pistol I intend to use for CCW before I trust it with my life.
2. If I change carry ammo, it also gets tested before I trust it with my life.
3. Boy, that 155 is a lot more snappy than the 180! :D
4. I really didn't need the grip extensions, but they do make it a little easier to handle.
5. It takes getting used to keeping both eyes open while using the Laser.
6. Recoil is a lot less than I anticipated with a smaller, lighter framed pistol.
7. I need to find a good IWB, tuckable magazine holder.

Great little pocket rocket!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW: I am open to suggestions on other carry ammos. I have carried Gold Dots in my 9mm for years and have always been happy with them, which is why I chose them for my Taurus.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds good. I've been lookin at one, but I've been lookin at two or three others as well.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Outstanding! IMHO your cc rounds should be what you like, are comfortable with, and can get right now......

·
Registered
24,809 Posts
Congrats on your new gun.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The 740 is a great CCW and my favorite. Have both 709 & 740. As for the mag carrier, I have a DeSantis belt snap-on double mag holster I use for 709/740, but not tuckable. For that and at times untucked I use a Gunmate single mag pouch and just put in front left jeans/pants pocket.

Academy - GunMate® Accessories Universal Single Mag Pouch

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Glad she is good to go!

I love my 740, I think its a great weapon!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congats on the smooth running 740. I have a little over 400 rds through my 740. Only one FTE early on but I chalked that up to the WWB ammo I was using. I also put a lot of the Rem JHP bulk through it. I carry it in a DeSantis Sof-Tuck, excellent IWB, and I keep an extra mag in a dollar store cellphone pouch...lol...don't laugh, it works. My current carry ammo is 165gr Winchester PDX1 Defender, good stuff, put 40 rds through it for testing, runs smooth. The PDX1 seems to be almost exactly like Win Ranger.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on Your 740, just got mine and only about 50 rds of Winchester 180gr thru it. Getting about 1 ftf in every mag I shoot. New to guns and was trying to figure out reason. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. THNX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on Your 740, just got mine and only about 50 rds of Winchester 180gr thru it. Getting about 1 ftf in every mag I shoot. New to guns and was trying to figure out reason. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. THNX

Really, thoroughly clean the whole thing, including the mechanicals. I used spray gunscrubber to hose it out because mine seemed to have quite a bit of gun grease in it. The grease seemed very tacky/sticky to me and was a little tough to get it all out. I then took my time lubing it with Breakfree CLP and wiping off any excess lube. I also disassembled the magazines and thoroughly scrubbed them inside and out as well. I then lubed them inside and out as well.

After I lubed it, I reassembled it and then racked the slide back and forth multiple times to check for binding and smoothness and to break it in a little. When I took it out for "exercise" I only put about 100 rounds through it at a time, then stopped. I took it back home and went through the whole cleaning cycle again. I had no problems with FTF or FTE, only with getting the magazines to drop free cleanly. I seem to have gotten that fixed now as well.

Could be your ammo, try using a different brand to see if that fixes it. I ran three different ones through mine, mostly to check that it would function with different types.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, will thoroughly clean it after next range trip. Also got some new magazines and will see if that could also be the problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Look at a 740 today at a LGS, and I like the feel of it. The sales guy was really talking down the Taurus guns, which was weird since they have a whole bunch of them in stock. I hate the douchebags at this gun store, but I just happen to be driving by. He claimed that he's sending half of them back for repair work, and some bigwig from the company came by and apologized, saying they're working on it. He kept pushing me towards the Rugers. Maybe they just have a higher profit margin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the same setup and i love mine I carry everywhere legal.
My SD round of choice is Remington Golden Sabre 180gr. Flawless operation with over 600 misc. FMJ's and 200+ Various SD JHP rounds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts