Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just took my new PT740 slim to the range but didn't have the Pearce extensions. Are these a must have and do they substantially improve the ability to get ahold of the gun? It is my first time with a. 40 caliber, but I couldn't hit hardly anything. Not sure if it was just me or me and the gun. Perhaps I just need a little practice with it, but so far I'm not real happy. The reports of this guy beating your hands up is definitely true too. I have smaller sized hands so it felt pretty good in my hands when I bought it.

Any suggestions guys? Any experience with the PT840? I'm wondering if the larger magazine will make the grip wider and easier to hold onto.

Thanks.

· Registered
8,812 Posts
Mag extension aren't required, but they do help control IMO. If you couldn't hit anything (please take no offense) I'll almost guarantee it wasn't the 740. Get some more practice with it, use the pad of the finger, not the knuckle joint - and hold on tight cause that rascal will beat your hand up otherwise. LOL I actually shoot my 740 better than the 709. I don't know anything of the PT840, but would recommend the PT140MilPro G1 or new G2 - lots more meat in the grip area with double stack mag. For CC I don't believe you can beat the Slims for ease of concealment - the MilPro's are close, but not there, at least for me - the thickness and grip length of 740 vs 140 is surprising that so little difference means so much, particularly the 3/16" less width.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no doubts believing its me at all, but wasnt sure if maybe I just have the wrong gun or not. Maybe I need to do some shopping around.

· Registered
8,812 Posts
You don't have the wrong gun, it may just not be a good match. I've come to the conclusion that people either really like the Slims or don't, with not much gray or in between. My 740 (or 709 for that matter) isn't a range gun, it's an excellant SD CCW and packs a wallop in a small package. I've reduced all my .40's to 50 rds. at the range rather than 100+ in the past - and has nothing to do with ammo shortage. LOL

So which state are you in - AR or TX ?? If Texas and you can't find someone to take it off your hands (should you decide to get rid of it) in your area, may be we can work a deal.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Wino Im in Arkansas, otherwise I might just see. I think I just need a little more handle for the cushion. I will keep looking and see what i can find. Perhaps i am just one of those Non-PT740 kinda people lol. Ill check my local dealer next weekend and try out some new grip styles of different taurus models. Love everything about my PT-92 and perhaps I just need a larger frame than the 740 slim.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I do decide to go another direction with this, what do you guys recommend in a .40 caliber? Not really sure about a price range yet, I believe that I would like a Beretta PX4 or maybe a Ruger SR40 but I've never held either to be honest. I bought this one because it did feel good in my hands, but maybe I just got gun happy and bought without thinking. I've got the pearce's on order and will try them out on my next range trip before I move on for sure, but I'm not sure exactly where to go. Maybe a PT840?

It doesn't have to be a compact as I'm not using it for conceal carry, I just have smaller hands lol.

Opinions?

· Registered
46 Posts
I was taught to squeeze that grip so hard yer knuckles turn white, pushing with the strong hand and pull back with the weak hand...but keep the trigger finger loose. Use only the pad to press the trigger straight back, otherwise you'll pull the gun. I have long fingers so it looks a little funny but works for me. I also am new to the 740(bought it last week), and had no trouble with the aforementioned firm grip. My 2 cents.

· Registered
8,812 Posts
I would recommend a PT140 MilPro if you can still find one (would say the PT140G2, but not released yet). If you lay it over the PT740, they are basically same size end to end, with the grip being longer and fatter on the PT140 due to 10 rd. and double stack mag. - trigger location is about same. Subjective, but recoil of the PT140 seems less than PT740 using same ammo and it does not seem to beat my hand up on range.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if the Pearce's weren't enough (which I haven't received yet)...I found these also, so I ordered them as well. We will see which one works better for my hands. I might even post a youtube on these, at the very least some pics once they arrive lol.

Garrison Grip - Taurus PT740 Grip Extension

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.