Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear opinions on the 709 slim. I can't decide between the slim and the pt111.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Any particular question? I bought a 709 as my first concealed carry gun, due to its size. I then bought the TCP, because it is a true pocket gun (I can't get away with pocket carrying the 709 unless I'm carrying it in a coat or jacket pocket.) Then I learned about the PT111 G2. Not much bigger than the 709. A little wider, a bit heavier, but 5 more rounds. Between it and the 709, the G2 feels better in my hands, and the 709 has spent more time in the safe and less time on my hip. Try to shoot each and see which one best suits you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the slim reliable? Have u had any malfunctions with it. I'm leaning towards the slim. I just like smaller guns

·
22,306 Posts
Opinion? It's an outstanding design that shoots too small a bullet. So they made the 740.

What?

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I can't say enough good about my 709. I don't keep close track of rounds shot but it's at least 2,000 rounds with zero problems, including a couple of IDPA matches. I need to do that again, it has been a while! Finding magazines can be a issue.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My 709 was fairly reliable for the first 600 or so rounds, although it did not care much for JHP. I started getting some light strikes and had to send it to Miami. It was back about 2 weeks later, and the light strike problem was fixed, but not the problem with the JHPs. I called and complained, and they took it back. 2-3 weeks later it came home, and has been reliable ever since.

Darbo is right: finding magazines for the 709 is a PITA. Ditto the TCP.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,952 Posts
I have only two problems with my 709.

Not enough ammo

Not enough range time

:D

It is my EDC, it rides my ankle, eats all ammo, it would probably eat reloads but that would void the warranty, so I don't do that. When I went over 1 K I quit counting rounds.

I have no information regarding the 111.

When I can, the 957 is on my hip, and in Kansas I can.
$0.02

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Mine - 100% reliable and very good ergonomically for me deep carrying.
Not picky about ammo - I swapped sights to Advantage Tactical - they really work for me.
It's been in my carry group for 3 years or so - not going anywhere.

Never a fail, never a repair. A+.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Have two 709's and one 740 - no regrets and I have plenty of mags for all three. Slims squelched my lust for a S&W Shield (at least for the moment - LOL).

Reactions: jwc007 and Mikeo

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Mine is a great size and shoots well. My issue is with it having problems with the extractor. It's on its second trip back to Miami, but hopefully it will be fully happy when it gets home this time.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I don't shoot mine very often. But when I do, no problems with accuracy and reliability.

DSCN2348 (1024x768).jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Owned mine for 2 weeks now. Have had it out twice and truthfully I've got mixed feelings. The first trip it ran through 57 rounds of Magtech without a single problem, and it was extremely accurate. It fits my hand well, low recoil, and fast targeting. I was on cloud nine when I went home. I didn't clean it on purpose because I wanted to see if that few rounds would cause issues. I just had it out today and initially it ran fine, but then I started getting feeding issues, it'd send the next round vertically into the receiver, and then it would fire and extract but not grab the next round in the mag. I just got home and gave it a thorough cleaning hoping this will resolve the issues. I'll take it back out again to see the answer.

·
Administrator
17,820 Posts
I have both and I will admit to carrying the PT111 more than I carry the PT709, but it is nice to have options.
I do find my late production third generation PT111 easier to shoot. That said, carry what you can conceal.

Size Comparison of Taurus PT111 to Taurus PT709. Both in 9mm

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I'm eyeing a used 709 for $199 (very good shape) if I can get my Walther PPX sold in time to buy it. Not counting on it, though, as luck and timing are rarely on my side in unison. :(

I've held off getting one because of the extra mag non-availability, but holding one in my hand felt good enough that I'll do it at that price. Mags can't be unavailable forever, can they?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 111 G2. I haven't had any issues with it that weren't cheap ammo related. Tulammo does have a few duds. Never had a problem with jhps or +p. I've got over 1200 rounds through my G2 & I love it. I must admit that I carry my LCR XS loaded with 158 gr +p Federal swcjhp's over any of my semi-autos. I shoot the G2 better & will carry if I'm going into a really iffy situation & I'm glad that it's small enough to do so. Between my fists, feet, blade and (absolute last resort) revolver, I'm confident I can handle almost any SD situation. I looked at a 709 a few times and can't justify 3 more (maybe) rounds over 5 bonecrushers that I know will go bang. Not knocking the 709 because i don't have & haven't fired one. This is just my opinion. LOL you know what they say about opinions. Anyway to the OP I say get the G2, its a fantastic weapon & very accurate.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The 709 I had was the two-tone model, and it shot just fine. I have large hands, and it was just too narrow in the grip area for me. I have the PT111 G2 now, and it feels "hand filling" compared to the 709 I had.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I've held off getting one because of the extra mag non-availability, but holding one in my hand felt good enough that I'll do it at that price. Mags can't be unavailable forever, can they?
UMMM??
can you clarify How long is forever"?--------------:icon_rolleyes:
Then I MAY be better able to answer your question.-------------:D

·
Registered
469 Posts
The 709 I had was the two-tone model, and it shot just fine. I have large hands, and it was just too narrow in the grip area for me. I have the PT111 G2 now, and it feels "hand filling" compared to the 709 I had.
It does indeed have a narrow grip. I fixed that by added a pachmeyer rubber grip. It was actually designed for a Springfield xdm so I have to trim about a quarter inch off the bottom below the second finger groove. Now with the pearce pinky extension on the mag the gun is so comfy in my hand it's not even funny.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts