Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I picked up a new 709 after thinking about it for several weeks, and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I almost feel guilty for paying under $300 for this jewel...... Not really.

First let me state that I did strip and clean the packing poo-poo and did a little buff and fluff.

I'll get straight to the point.....

200 rounds and the only issue was that the slide did not remain open after the last round was fired on my third magazine. One firm tap on the bottom, pull back the slide and it stayed open. Not sure if the magazine not being fully seated was the problem, so I'm curious if this will happen again.

My first couple of magazines most rounds were hitting left but not very low. I made a slight grip adjustment and then was making a tight center group at about 3-4 yards. At 6-7 yards I was hitting slightly low and slightly left. Once again.... a slight grip adjustment and was back to center. At 9-10 yards..... let's just say I was hitting in the big circle but would still be hitting bad guy vitals. As you would expect with all short barrel pistols this baby does it's best work at a more intimate distance.

Concerning feel and function: I was concerned about the recoil of such a small poly frame but to my surprise it was not snappy as I have read others post. My hands are somewhat large yet the 709 doesn't feel diminutive while holding it.

One thing that really stands out is the trigger pull. I do like how after taking up the slack in the trigger you hit that definitive "wall" and then have a crisp finish. Compared to a Glock this is by far a better feel and function. I know some people hate the trigger travel but after few rounds you get it.

My only complaint about the 709 is that it runs out of bullets too soon. :)

Overall I'm very impressed with the little gun. So much so that the PT709 will become my EDC, replacing my Gen 3 Glock 19.

Now back to the search for an extra magazine or 2.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Boy howdy! Do I ever love reading a great initial range report from a happy Taurus handgun enthusiast!

The PT740 Slim is another fine member of the Slim Family, should you ever get the urge for a reliable .40 S&W caliber carry gun.

Attachments

Reactions: Fingerman

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Great report and glad to hear you are happy with the 709. I love mine. I especially like the part where you let everyone know that with a little grip adjustment, you are able to bring your low/left under control. Now just to be sure I read it right - you are replacing the Glock 19 with the 709 as your EDC? How could a Taurus ever hope to replace a Glock?;) Thanks for sharing your range report.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Great report! I find that I am actually learning to love the trigger, myself. Once getting used to it, it really is settling in and I like that quick reset in between SA shots.

And Lordy! Replacing a Glock??
I can just picture the spittle flying and heads exploding over such a sacrilege over on a certain other forum!

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
S&W should be worried.................my 709 & 740 have my lust for the Shield dwindling rapidly. Now it's down to just being able to say I own a Shield IF I ever make the plunge. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was actually wavering between the Shield and the 709 but after reading the Dec 2012 Article in G&A I locked onto the 709. It's a strong testimony when the last statement by the author is "It's what I carry."

·
Registered
549 Posts
S&W should be worried.................my 709 & 740 have my lust for the Shield dwindling rapidly. Now it's down to just being able to say I own a Shield IF I ever make the plunge. LOL
I'm with you on that. I actually now have zero desire. I opted for the 709, and haven't looked back. I love my 709 and am so pleased with it.

·
33,637 Posts
Congrats and great range report.

The 709 of mine is so reliable that it gets used as my main CCW carry piece these days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm also a new 709 owner that is very pleased in every way. The trigger caught me off guard on my first shot, but like 2 seconds later I was in love. I love the significant "take up" and firm pause before the crack of the next round. I must agree on it running out too soon and would like for Taurus to make those extended mags already. Glad to hear you like it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Which Blade Tech holster are you carrying in? I looked at the site but couldn't find it... Prob just not looking good enough too though idk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased my 709 because of its size for conceal, however... after cleaning the factory gunk out and hitting the range i was supplied with a huge suprise. This thing was very accurate. After adjusting the sights to zero in I was grouping 3" at 7 yards. I love my 709. So easily concealable yet still as accurate as my glock and m&p (in SD range that is).

·
Registered
837 Posts
I carried a Ruger SR9c for several years because it was compact and had a great trigger. I still love that gun, but it is no longer my every day carry. That job now belongs to the 709. The Ruger is heavier and thicker by comparison, and while it is not bad, it is not as good as the 709. I can't add anything to what has been already said except that while the Taurus trigger is unusual, it feel more comfortable with it than my Ruger which has no takeup. You touch it and it goes bang, like a Glock. I just never liked that for a compact gun. The gun snobs can pound sand. I love my Taurus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.