Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my 709 out for it's second workout and just as the previous report, I remain very satisfied with the choice.

After the first few rounds of shooting low and left then changing my grip to square up I decided to make sight adjustments. After a few tweaks I was hitting center and slightly high. Another quick adjustment and now I have the gun set up to my natural grip style.

If you recall in my last report I had 2 occasions where the slide did not stay open after the magazine was emptied. This weekend I was out with my father-in-law and he had the same thing happen to him twice when he used my 709. However today after 250 rounds this did not duplicate. Not sure if it's broke in or if its because I'm making sure the magazine is inserted firmly. Again, we shall watch this and report.

Today's ammo was a mix of the following:
Winchester whitebox 115gr FMJ 50 rds
Remington UMC 115gr MC 50 rds
Speer Lawman 115gr TMJ 50 rds
Independence 115gr FMJ 50 rds
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 25rds
Hornady 147gr XTP 25rds

Total rounds to date is 471 of eight different brands. So anyone that says the PT709 is ammo sensitive I would have to argue. However I almost ditched the 147gr Hornady XTP after 14 rounds. This round caused the slim grip to bang and dig into my hand. I figured I was there to give the gun a work out, so if it wasn't quitting neither was I. This is a defense gun, not a sport gun, so comfort isn't as important as practical function. Plus I normally carry Hornady Critical Defense and it doesn't have the snappy bite like the XTP.

As previously stated the PT709 has definitely replaced the Glock 19 as my EDC. More concealable, lighter and goes bang every time..... Isn't that what we want in a CCW?

photo.JPG

Perhaps I should pick up a 740 to keep it company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll have to see if my sister would want one of these. She's in the market for a carry gun, and this would fit the bill pretty well for IWB/thigh carry.

If you don't like how the PT709 is with those Hornady XTPs, I don't know if you should get the 740. You could always admire it, or maybe you'll turn into a masochist.

Either way, glad to see any issues ironed out after a break-in period. A last follow-up would be great after another 200, though, just to confirm reliability.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Sounds like you are getting to know your 709 pretty well. I'm thinking by now the topic has bee covered but I'm going to ask anyway. Did you take apart the magazines and give them a good cleaning? Hopefully the slide lock issue is a thing of the past. Enjoy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My ammo stock is getting low but as soon as I can find another 200 rounds I'll abuse it and report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I dismantled the magazine and lubed it prior to the first use.

I got lucky yesterday and found 3 new mags at Gander Mountain, serviced them and used one today plus the original. I've also etched a number into each of them. This way if I have the slide catch issue again I can identify if its a certain magazine.

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....but using power tools is more fun. Even if its just a small Dremel. :D

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like you are really giving it a workout, I agree with the 709 ability to eat all ammo. I have recently started reloading 9mm since it is so difficult to find, My Slim shoots everything, I load. On the other hand my Shield is the finicky one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had 1 FTL in my first mag. I took apart the magazine during my first post-firing cleaning and noticed the spring was coated with yellowish-white crud. i scrubbed it off with my brush, oiled it a bit and havent had a problem since

·
Registered
7 Posts
how did you color in the lettering?? i ordered some sitglo sight paint and thought about using it to do something very similar
View attachment 50009

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just purchased some Winchester 115 gr " hard to find much of anything " up to now have always fired 124gr at Range
From what everyone mentions 709 shoots all, happy with mine but only approx 250 rds thru it...however, no issues period!
" knock on wood " Have Winchester silver tip hollow points " only couple of boxes " will try some next time, saving em for a rainy day!!

Reactions: Fingerman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how did you color in the lettering?? i ordered some sitglo sight paint and thought about using it to do something very similar
View attachment 50009
I use fingernail polish. Just paint over the engraving, let dry for a couple of hours then use non-acetone fingernail polish remover to clean the excess. I highly suggest removing the slide first.

My neighbor got a kick out of turning the corner at Walmart and seeing a bald 215lb 46 year old guy picking out nail polish. Even better was the look on my wife's face when she saw three shades of green polish and remover in the top of my roll away tool box.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am actually getting a bit of a kick out of seeing others like myself that have set aside guns of higher reputation in favor of the PT709. Don't get me wrong. I still love my Ruger SR9c, but I carried it for two years and that was long enough. The 9c is now my wife's house gun for when someone we don't know thinks they should be in our house. Soft shooter, 10 rounds and mild recoil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am also a 709 owner and have had the occasional problem of the slide not locking back after the last round. Thought it might have been a bad magazine but received a new magazine last week and gave it a try out. Shot 22 rounds one at a time. The first four the slide didn't lock back so I thought it had to be the pistol. Before I shot the next round I looked at how I was griping the gun. My thumb on my right hand was near the slide lock lever but not touching it. I dropped my grip down slightly from the bottom of the slide and fired the next round and the slide locked open. Shot several more rounds with the lower grip and it locked open every time. Raised my grip back up and shot a few rounds and the slide didn't lock open. Lowered my grip back down and it locked open every round. Even though my hand wasn't touching the bottom of the slide, there must have been enough pressure on the slide to keep it from somehow locking open. Don't understand it but as long as I kept a lower grip it locked open every time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would agree however when I would pull the slide back manually it would not lock open. I would try several times but after either bumping the mag or dropping it and popping back in it would then catch.

I'll pay attention to my grip next time and see how close I am to the release.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ill have to consider that. i thought about doing it with some glow in the dark paint to see how it looks but its much harder to remove then finger nail polish

Reactions: Fingerman

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I am actually getting a bit of a kick out of seeing others like myself that have set aside guns of higher reputation in favor of the PT709. Don't get me wrong. I still love my Ruger SR9c, but I carried it for two years and that was long enough. The 9c is now my wife's house gun for when someone we don't know thinks they should be in our house. Soft shooter, 10 rounds and mild recoil.

Yes, I'm one of those that MP Shield has lost some of it's luster and hankering to own one - the 709 and 740 are filling that void very well. Someday may be, but no rush, and damn sure not before prices become reasonable - the latter may mean never. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ill have to consider that. i thought about doing it with some glow in the dark paint to see how it looks but its much harder to remove then finger nail polish
I saw some glow in the dark nail polish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts