Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the problem is with getting magazines for the 709 or 740 Slim? I called Taurus last October and placed an order for 2 spare 740 mags. They said it would take 6-8 weeks. It has been six months. I was on Taurus' Facebook page, and they are still today telling people 6-8 weeks. There must be quite a lot of unhappy Taurus owners out there. I don't understand - whatever situation Taurus is having with getting magazines made should be resolved in 6 months. Anyone have any insight regarding this?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Does anyone know what the problem is with getting magazines for the 709 or 740 Slim? I called Taurus last October and placed an order for 2 spare 740 mags. They said it would take 6-8 weeks. It has been six months. I was on Taurus' Facebook page, and they are still today telling people 6-8 weeks. There must be quite a lot of unhappy Taurus owners out there. I don't understand - whatever situation Taurus is having with getting magazines made should be resolved in 6 months. Anyone have any insight regarding this?
High demand for great quality firearm equipment. =D If and when you see one, snatch it up. It will not be there for long.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
High demand. I was on a notification list at one of the online vendors. I responded 1 1/2 hours after receiving he e-mail. They were already gone. Next time I scored, but was limited to 2 magazines.

On line auction sights usually have them, but are asking $60 _ $70 dollars each.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I can't accept "High Demand" as an excuse. In manufacturing, when your capacity can't satisfy the demand, you ALWAYS contract out with other manufactures to fill the gap. A magazine for a firearm is extremely easy to manufacture making the "High Demand" excuse just plain Poppy-cock! So this begs the question; What is going on with the lack of mags? Would you buy the new CT if you can't get extra mags? I won't.

BTW - Around a year ago, I ordered 2 extra mags for my 24/7 G2C 40. They have never been delivered and I gave up asking about them.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I had the same problem with my M&P40C (3 months), my PT24/7Pro DS 9MM 17 rd. (4 or so months - Midway). Thru 2012 into mid 2013 my Academy's had 740 mags in most stores around town and some even had 709's. Gone now. I did offer to pick up some of the 740 mags for another member and s/he never responded. High demand, low supply - with the Slims it's either feast or famine. I had same experience as Greg_R on list to be notified at several on line vendors only to be told all sold before I got there - one within minutes of receiving email. IMHO the OEM magazine shortage has been across the board with several manufacturers and is due to the same thing as ammo shortage - irrational panic.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I had alerts to e-mail with midway and (gasp) ctd, got them within hours of being sold out.ganged the ctd order with some other stuff at the same warehouse so the freight would not stab so bad.hate to deal with them after their B.S. but, ya gotta deal with the guy who holds the cards.......sometimes.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Regardless of the why, you just have to pay attention to the online vendors by checking from time to time and get on their email notification list. Check any and all LGS in your area, check gun shows. Check on here, often times members will post they found a couple in their area. I know I did that about a year ago. I found 2 at a LGS and bought them to send to another member. At some point there will be many dumped into the market and as has been stated they will disappear again just as quickly as they appeared! Right or wrong, good or bad, you simply have to be diligent in your quest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Email notifications on backorders

Regardless of the why, you just have to pay attention to the online vendors by checking from time to time and get on their email notification list. Check any and all LGS in your area, check gun shows. Check on here, often times members will post they found a couple in their area. I know I did that about a year ago. I found 2 at a LGS and bought them to send to another member. At some point there will be many dumped into the market and as has been stated they will disappear again just as quickly as they appeared! Right or wrong, good or bad, you simply have to be diligent in your quest.

I have email notifications set up on about 8 vendor sites to notify me when the have them in stock. After 6 month, not one notification. Something is up, it is not just a supply versus demand thing. There simply is no supply, and I want to know why.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Called Taurus CS and backordered 3 spare PT709 Slim magazines. Taurus CS Rep/Order Taker told me the next shipment was about 8 weeks out. None of my usual Magazine Suppliers have any.

I'm thinking we have the same situation like we have with some Ammunition, like .22 LR, where resellers have snapped them up and are marketing them on ebay and other venues.

I won't feed the gougers, so I prefer to order them through my normal sources or directly from Taurus.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
it would be nice if taurus would just outsource to mecgar ive been searching for a 740 mag for nearly a year
Mec-Gar manages and operates the Taurus Plant that makes the proprietary magazines and the other Mec-Gar plants are probably busy making all of the other lines, so other sources are unlikely to appear.
Would be nice if some other source of quality magazines would be available. Probably not going to happen though! It the Slim series were a commonly issued Military handgun, it would happen, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I placed an order/backorder with Taurus directly back in February. Just got 3 brand new Magazines for the 709 via FedEx today.
Taurus has FINALLY Received some stock so call quick... their customer service number is 800-327-3776.
My total including shipping for all 3 was about $116.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Picked up my 709 slim about 3 weeks ago around May 1 2014. Have not made it to the range yet as I was planning on snatching up a few more magazines first. Mine came with one magazine. I live in a large metroplex area. Nothing available from a retail standpoint within 100 miles. I looked on the internet for some of the main suppliers and they seemed to be out of stock. Went directly to the Taurus website and the 709 magazine was not listed. :eek: I immediately called the Taurus customer service number. The phone was answered by the 3rd ring.. Fortunately, they had the magazine in stock. I ordered 2 magazines and received them in 4 business days. They charged me $36 each for the magazines and the shipping was about $8,00. The customer service lady asked me if I only wanted 2 as she stated they go fast. I made the customer service person aware that these magazines could not be found by retail and they were not listed on their website. That still worries me. Many of the sellers on ebay are selling the magazine from $59 up to $90 per magazine. Feeling a bit concerned out of the box here. I picked up 2 Pearce mag extensions local retail for $8 each. I took the advise of many on this forum and did a thorough cleaning including the magazine. Now just need to get to the range and see if I have something that I can use for EDC. Love the way it carries compared to my Glock 19.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Blindfinger - I'm hopeful you will not be disappointed - I've not been. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I was on the Midway notification list, saw the email an hour and a half after they came in and they were sold out. Next time I was lucky and saw the email within a few minutes and landed on two. Now I'd i could only find a spare mag for my TCP!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If anyone is in southeastern VA (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake etc) Superior Pawn and Gun have a number of 709 mags on the shelf. A full peghook at one location and a few at another (after I got a few myself :) I think they are just under $40 each.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts