Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I had an incident at the range where my rear sight screw backed out while I was shooting. I lost the rear sight screw and keylock pin. I ordered both from Taurus, but I find the key lock pin is too large. Taurus indicates this is the only size for this part and I should send the gun in for fitment.

Can anyone out there provide the length and diameter of the key lock pin from their PT709? I'm looking for precise measurements, so if you don't have a set of calipers the readings probably won't be useful. The pin can be found by removing the rear sight. It sits directly above the keylock underneath the rear sight.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answering my own question...
I sized the hole that the lock pin sits in using my humongous bit set. Turns out a common 1/16" drill bit fits perfectly. Considering the function is just to prevent you from turning the keylock far enough for the lock to fall out, a piece of the base of a steel carbide drill bit should suffice as a long term repair until one day Taurus realizes that 26015056 is not the proper UPC for the key lock pin for a PT709.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
One quick question, please.

Does your 709 have a "G2" on the right side of the slide?

The reason why I ask is a LGS says that their 709's in stock are G2 models, but they are not marked G2 on the slide. On the Taurus website (the catalog), they show a G2 on the slide.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why the heck did I say G2?

I have no idea why I said G2. I'm not sure if they ever actually made the G2. I did a quick web search to see what differences there may have been between the two, but never found any. Regardless, mine does NOT say G2 on the side.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Here are some pics of the PT 709 G2.

Locally, I have not seen one with the G2 markings and extended magazine, but some LGS say that their 709's are G2.
Notice the "G2" marking on the right side of the slide near the muzzle.

The TAURUS CATALOG showing the PT 709 G2:
Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog

(There are several other pistols listed as "new for 2011" that no one has ever seen)

Official images from the TAURUS website:

http://www.taurususa.com/2011newcatalog/images/08_1.jpg
08_1.jpg

http://www.taurususa.com/2011newcatalog/images/08_3.jpg

08_3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there are actually any differences they are internal. Everything matches up except the picture above has two addition "rod holes" (i.e. trigger pivot rod hole etc). Extend magazine I have yet to see, though someone finally makes extended grips for the magazine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We seem to be rehashing previous conversations in this thread now that I look back. The 2011 version seems to have those extra frame pins. If you throw the serial of that G2 pictured into Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Find My Model it does show both 2011 production and G2 model. Taking other people's pictures there are just plain 2011 models. So to definitely determine if it is a G2, whatever differences that actually entails, use that serial number lookup, hopefully on a smartphone while standing in the store.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm confused. What's the difference between the 709 slim and a 709 slim G2? And does that extended mag work in the 709 Slim and if so, where can I get one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts