Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PT709 for about 5 months and have put about 400 rounds through it. It occasionally doesn't lock back on the last round. This has gotten worse each time at the range. If I drop the magazine and reinsert, the gun locks backs. I've cleaned and appropriately oiled the gun and it still happens. I noticed that the magazine spring allows the follower to rock back (see pictures below). I locked the gun back with the magazine in. I used a screw driver to gently push the back side of the follower down, putting the magazine in the rocked back position. As I did this, the clip that usually sits on the step of the follower (don't know what it is called), slipped down beside the follower. I closed the gun and now it won't lock back. I called Taurus about it, returned the magazine ($1.69 postage, can't beat that) and got a new magazine from them in less than a week. The spring on the new mag is stronger, but it still allows the follower to rock back and the clip to slip off the step. I haven't been out to the range yet with the new mag, but wanted to know if anyone else has this problem.

Yellow Technology Electronic device
Follower in correct position.

Yellow
Follower in rocked back position.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nope, can't say that I have. Hopefully the new mag will solve your problem.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Make sure the magazine spring is in the correct position and not the other way around. Also, load the mag full then let it sits for a week or two. There are many 709 owners on this board so help will come soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Make sure the magazine spring is in the correct position and not the other way around. Also, load the mag full then let it sits for a week or two. There are many 709 owners on this board so help will come soon.
Thanks for the advice on leaving the mag loaded for a couple of weeks. On the spring thing, shouldn't the new mag come from the factory loaded correctly? How do I tell if the spring is in right?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Sorry I can't help with this issue since I don't have a 709.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The mag spring in the new one should be pointed up just like the follower is. You should take the new mag apart and clean it first before shooting with it. While it is apart, examine the follower and look for any protrusions on the outside that may be leftover from the molding process. Sand them down smooth with the sides of the follower and re-assemble. Try it at the range to see if you still have the problem. If not, you can try spreading the lips a little bit to see if the follower will ride up a little higher in the mag to activate the little tab connected to the slide release.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I also would tend to agree with the spring analysis :)

I have over 5K rounds through my 709 and have NEVER had a problem (maybe I shouldn't have said that) :D

·
Registered
30,103 Posts
Taurus Slim Pistol Manual

Page 29 of the manual shows the exploded view of the pistol. It will help.

Like others said, my first guess would be a reversed magazine spring. The exploded view Taurus10 linked to shows how it should look if you zoom in on it.

Hopefully that was the issue and the new magazine works well when you take it out.

I have the big brother to the 709, the 740 and love it. If it was me I would go to Academy and get a spare magazine as well. A couple Academys near me have them for the 709, the 740 ones are harder to find but are out there. That way number one you have a spare and number two you could help rule out a magazine issue. (I'm guessing by your avatar you are in Texas and have an Academy close)

I've also read here that people have that issue with the grip they are using and change that up and it works, maybe that will help.

Let us know how the new magazine works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.