Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought herself a new 709 yesterday,went to range today had 5 fte's out of 35 rounds fired using magtech 124 gr fmc.Ammo problem,break in time,or will it need the new extractor? I did break down clean and oil before shooting it.My pt111 fired same ammo fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A little more explanation of your failure to extract would be helpful. If it's stovepiping (case pulled from barrel but hung in the breech), then I'd say it's probably a break in thing. If the extractor isn't pulling the case from the barrel and it's trying crash another round into the back of that case, you've probably got a problem with your gun. I've used Magtech in several guns and never had a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more explanation of your failure to extract would be helpful. If it's stovepiping (case pulled from barrel but hung in the breech), then I'd say it's probably a break in thing. If the extractor isn't pulling the case from the barrel and it's trying crash another round into the back of that case, you've probably got a problem with your gun. I've used Magtech in several guns and never had a problem.
Brass is staying in barrel.Thanks i will call Taurus.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Make sure you have cleaned the extractor area and give the gun a chance to break-in. Make sure you are not sticking a round in the chamber and then putting a full magazine in also to get 7 + 1 capacity. That will damage your extractor, allowing the slide to close on a round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure you have cleaned the extractor area and give the gun a chance to break-in. Make sure you are not sticking a round in the chamber and then putting a full magazine in also to get 7 + 1 capacity. That will damage your extractor, allowing the slide to close on a round.
Whats a good number of rounds to call it broken in? We are both new to Taurus my pt111 pro mill has run flawless.My wife has the 709.We never load chamber from the top.Was not to worried until i came across this forum and saw so many others with same problem.Went to range yesterday morning 2 fte out of 13,came home broke down cleaned and lubed.Went back to range and had 3 more out of 4 mags.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Usually around 200-300 rounds to break the 709 in - at least that is what I used. Some say 300-500 rounds is considered break-in. I will say something about the 709 that I have found to be true. They are not very forgiving when it comes to limp wristing. A good firm two handed grip convinced me of that. When you are standing pointed down range, turn your elbows out and not down. This will help minimize the recoil.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Be sure and check out your extractor. eGumpher's stickie on 738 reliability has a good piece on the extractor. It is for the 738, but I think it also has application to most of the external extractors, at least the Taurus ones.

Also check your brass. If the brass is scratched up, you may have a rough chamber that you can polish out with a Dremel and a felt bullet with some Jeweler's Rouge on it.

And since this is a new pistol, it could just be the magazines breaking in. Store them loaded between range trips to break in the springs.

200-300 rounds is considered a good goal for break in. Some pistols make break in well under that range, and a very few may go over but probably 90% will work out their initial issues within that range. Dry firing with snap caps can help the trigger break in, or smooth out, while helping you adjust to the trigger at the same time. I also take a piece of fine or very fine sandpaper and get rid of any flash inside the trigger guard as well as on the trigger, especially that little safety lever. Being the 709 is a carry piece, I would take off all the little edges anyway.

If you are wondering when you will know your pistol is broken in. It is broken in when it is operating the way you want and you have confidence it will operate that way the next time you fire it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Brass is staying in barrel.Thanks i will call Taurus.
Is this brass left all the way in the chamber or partially extracted? Look close at your extractor for possible damage. I had the partial extraction variation which was fixed by a new extractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys.Gonna work the mags,polish barrel,and as soon as i find some range ammo put a few hundred through it report back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this brass left all the way in the chamber or partially extracted? Look close at your extractor for possible damage. I had the partial extraction variation which was fixed by a new extractor.
Partially extracted. From what i can tell it looks normal but im no gunsmith.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to range yesterday with 50 rounds of tula "all i could find" only one fte. Still under a 100 rounds so i hope it keeps getting better.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sounds like you just need to keep firing it :)

I have over 2,000 rounds through mine and have NEVER had a hitch :D

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I'll echo what HD-Mike says about limp wristing, but it sounds like that's probably not your issue. Hopefully another box through it and it will break in and settle down. I've only had a couple of FTF's with mine, but that was with some Monarch steel case, and seemed like a "hard primer". I couldn't get them to fire in my 809 either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update,fired 100 more rounds 1/2 Blazer al.case 1/2 Remington UMC.Gun loved the UMC hated the al.cased Blazer.Scored 300 rds.yesterday of Fed Champs gonna try those next.Wife really loves her new gun and just got her ccw.Just need to break it in a little more and she will be good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back to the range today! Not good 30 rds. 13 fte's.All stove pipes.Shot fed champs.This gun has been fed 5 different brands 3 fmj,2 jhp only one with no problems was Rem. UMC.Time for vaca. To FL? Or 1 more box?Also trigger felt a little weird today,sometimes normal slack others a little stiffer like it went to DA.Wife loves the feel of this gun but im not trusting it yet for her to carry.P.S my PT111 mill pro finished of the other 70 rds. flawless "500 and counting" all in the 9 or x ring! Best day of shooting for me by far,classes really paying off got my CCW and all.Now just need the wifes gun to work!Will taurus just send me an extractor?Or do they have to test it themselves?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Zeke, I confused Rate you having stovepipes (casing completely out of the chamber but sticking out the side/top caught by the slide trying to close) or incomplete extraction (casing still part-way in chamber). If it's incomplete extraction, try a new extractor; maybe things have changed but they sold me one. A new extractor is about $20 form Taurus, including shipping. Or if the gun is less than 6 months old Taurus should pay postage (which is in the $50-100 range). Be aware that Taurus repair in Miami seems to be pretty busy these days so that could take a while and, recently, several folks here commented that they didn't fix the original problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts