Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My PT709 had the extraction/feed problem mentioned by so many others. The symptoms are incomplete extraction of the empty shell while the next round tries to feed, only to jam against the bottom of the stuck expended shell. Clearing requires removing the magazine, locking back the slide, and then removing the expended and live rounds. Not something you want to do in an emergency. In my case this jam was infrequent but still unacceptable.

So ordered a new extractor from Taurus (about $12 as I recall). The lady at Taurus customer service didn't know anything about a new extractor design claiming there was only one part number shown in whatever she was looking at. The "new" extractor did not look obviously different from the old one but I installed it anyway and also cleaned out the assembly grease in the extractor slot. This was an easy job that only took maybe 10 minutes. Since, I've put about 100 rounds through the gun with zero malfunctions. Too soon to be sure but I'm hopeful this was the fix.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I finally ordered a new extractor today, it was $12 plus $4 shipping. I also ordered the "low" front sight and a loaded chamber indicator. My loaded chamber indicator has a small bend where it looked like it was trying to act like an extractor on the rim of the round. Anyway, I hope the new extractor solves my 1/14 failure to extract problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Followup:

I put another 80 or so rounds through my 709 today, again with ZERO malfunctions. I used one mag (7) of SD ammo (Hornady CD) and the rest was half Remington UMC JHP and half Federal Champion FMJ. ALL with ZERO problems. Oh joy! I'm gaining confidence that the new extractor has fixed my feed/extraction problem. But I still don't know if this extraction issue was a QC problem (some extractors were OK, some bad) or a marginal original design which has since updated. This is a MIM part which probably has more variation than a similar machined part, so maybe it's both of the above.

Also, I measured my front sight, which stands 0.15" off the slide. Taurus Miami previously replaced the original front. sight which was slightly taller. I'm still shooting a little low but I think the problem is me.

I did notice two other odd things, however. First, trigger pull was inconsistent; sometimes light and crisp and sometimes I had to use much more force. This is my subjective opinion but the difference seemed quite pronounced. I have no clue as to why this is happening unless the sear is not resetting consistently on the striker. Second, there is a small gap between the magazine and the butt and the magazine moves up to pinch my pinkey when the gun cycles. I now have pinkey extensions on my magazines which probably makes this more noticeable; so maybe it always did this but I didn't notice without the extension. Not a big deal but annoying after a few magazines.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I think the D/A is smoother than the S/A. Also I think the trigger contributes to the low shooting some people experience with this gun.
Well, I agree that the DA is more predictable and I seem to do better in DA dry fire. In SA dry fire, I find myself dropping the muzzle, especially when I encounter one of those "hard" SA triggers. Yesterday (live fire) , the trigger usually seemed light and crisp on the first round of a fresh mag but unpredictable after that; some times I was "surprised" when it fired and other times I had to squeeze the trigger so hard and long that I lost focus on aim. Makes me wonder if there is debris in the sear assembly that needs to be flushed out.

I agree that having to pull the trigger so far back contributes to low/left. I find I shoot better using the pad of my finger vs the first knuckle.

But the good news is reliability: it want bang every time with no feed/extraction/ejection issues (other than a couple spent shells hitting me on the head)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
This is an old thread, but in case it comes up on someone's Google search I wanted to post the final resolution on the trigger issue.

I used a trigger forge gauge and determined that single action trigger force could be anywhere between 3 lb and 10+ lb. So the "problem" was real. A trip to Miami resulted in several new parts but the trigger force was still all over the map. On a hunch, I removed and "adjusted" the sear spring to increase the "up" force on the sear. After that. the trigger force is 5-7 lb, which is just about right IMO.

Speculating, I think the sear spring was not strong enough to guide the sear. Consequently, the sear would "seat" inconsistently as the slide came forward and the sear "caught" the firing pin/striker. A better explanation requires graphics.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top