Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been comparing my 2010 vintage SS 709 with the parts breakdown in the manual (see attached pdf). Mine doesn't seem to have the disconnector (5.09 in diagram). Instead, the trigger bar (4.05) has a bump on top that seems to accomplish the same thing. In short, this bump moves the aft end of the trigger bar down when the slide moves back (out of battery); and that moves the little finger on the back end of the trigger bar below the sear (effectively disconnecting the trigger bar from the sear). The slide has a cutout that aligns with the bump when the slide is in battery to allow the aft trigger bar to be full up where the finger can touch the sear. The trigger bar finger is what pushes against the bottom of the sear to release it when the trigger is pulled. The trigger resets after the slide is back in battery and the trigger is allowed to move forward enough for the finger to pop back up as it slides out from under the sear. So, it appears there was a design change to the trigger bar that eliminated part 5.09. I was wondering if other 709 owners have guns with the disconnector (5.09) or was this was a pre-production change.

Also, I got looking at at the photo of a PT709 G2 in the Taurus ad on the 20 Mar Shotgun News (see attached photo). The first thing I noticed was two more pins visible from the side of the gun. I would guess these replace parts 6.09 and 6.10 with longer pins that go all the way through the frame. That makes me wonder if this is a fix for some problem where the single through-pins (6.07 and 6.08) were inadequate. Do any of our high-round-count owners have a comment on this?

A couple other things made wonder about the status of the G2. First, the safety in the picture appears to be in the fire position but there is no red dot showing. So, is the red dot missing? Does the safety have to move down even more to be in the fire position? Or did Taurus reverse the safety from the G1 guns so safety-up is the fire position for G2s? Personally, I like all my pistol safetys to work the same way. Second, I don't see a slide cutout for the slide lock like the G1 guns. So is the slide lock detent internal? Also, what's that stuff on the backside of the trigger? These oddities, taken together, make me wonder if the G2 is still vaporware and this photo was a prototype or even staged. What do you folks think?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Your pic shows a 24/7 G2 --- which have been readily available for some time now.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I think the OP is confusing the 24/7 G2 (available) with the 709 G2 (not yet available)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I think the OP is confusing the 24/7 G2 (available) with the 709 G2 (not yet available)
I believe that must be the case.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gander Mountain has the PT709 G2

Scott9MM:

I recently posted the "official" Taurus announcement about the PT709G2 in another thread here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700s/65158-anyone-know-where-but-709-gen-2-a.html#post823263

Look at post #2.

Unless Taurus finally really released the 709G2 in the past few days, no one in the "public" has ever really seen them available.[/QUOTE

I bought one 03/11/13 in Minnesota. If this is correct:

The Taurus 709 G2 Slim is a second-generation, 9mm version of the company’s 709 Slim pistol. Built on a polymer frame with molded texturing on the grip, the 709 G2 Slim offers the same features found on the G1 models, including:
Three-dot sights (the rear is adjustable; the front is low-profile);
a double-action/single action trigger with Strike Two capability;
ambidextrous thumb rests and finger memory pads; and
a visual loaded chamber indicator.

I have a G2.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
[
Unless Taurus finally really released the 709G2 in the past few days, no one in the "public" has ever really seen them available.[/QUOTE

I bought one 03/11/13 in Minnesota. If this is correct:
The Taurus 709 G2 Slim is a second-generation, 9mm version of the company’s 709 Slim pistol. Built on a polymer frame with molded texturing on the grip, the 709 G2 Slim offers the same features found on the G1 models, including:
I have a G2.[/QUOTE]

OK, and how exactly is that any different than the original 709??
Now I have no idea except to say that i have not yet seen a 709/740 G-2 ?
I would assume if the weapon is truly a G-2 version then it would be so marked on the slide??, possibly in the serial number but surely on the weapons box from the factory.
does any of this apply to your new 709 G-2?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the original version have:
a visual loaded chamber indicator?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Mine does. And mine is the 2 pin version which I believe is the older version to the 4 pin version. More knowledgeable folks will let me know if I'm wrong on that.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Mine does. And mine is the 2 pin version which I believe is the older version to the 4 pin version. More knowledgeable folks will let me know if I'm wrong on that.
well I haven't had my 709 for a while now, it was an early model and to best of my memory it had all this, thats why i asked how was it different if it was a G-2?
IF there are no real improvements in the 709 then why even introduce a G-2 version?
with the 24/7 series there was a steady improvemnet everytime they made a new production run , the 24/7, 24/7 Pro, 24/ 7 Pro D/S and finally the 24/7 G-2.
so i would expect to see some significant changes/improvements in a G-2, course i often expect moe than i get.-GriiiN>

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
well I haven't had my 709 for a while now, it was an early model and to best of my memory it had all this, thats why i asked how was it different if it was a G-2?
IF there are no real improvements in the 709 then why even introduce a G-2 version?
with the 24/7 series there was a steady improvemnet everytime they made a new production run , the 24/7, 24/7 Pro, 24/ 7 Pro D/S and finally the 24/7 G-2.
so i would expect to see some significant changes/improvements in a G-2, course i often expect moe than i get.-GriiiN>
I'm not sure why you quoted me. I was informing Vtgilmore that my 709 has the items he listed as being what he attributes to the possible G2 709. Other than that I know there are 2 pin versions and 4 pin versions. I could be wrong but I think the older version is the 2 pin. Not saying anything even remote to the idea that either the 2 or 4 pin version would indicate or warrant a G2 designation, simply at some point that was changed.

As I stated my response was to Vtgilmore to answer his question. My 709 has the features he lists and mine is a older model.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
I was quoting you because I was agreeing with what you said about your 709 and pointing out mine was the same features as yours and an old first generation.
As I no longer do the 709/740 don't keep up with them that much and don't understand why a G-2 would be out if nothing different about it?
maybe they changed the tail lights like auto manufactures do when they want a new model year?

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I was quoting you because I was agreeing with what you said about your 709 and pointing out mine was the same features as yours and an old first generation.
As I no longer do the 709/740 don't keep up with them that much and don't understand why a G-2 would be out if nothing different about it?
maybe they changed the tail lights like auto manufactures do when they want a new model year?
ah ha! Now I got it! Sorry about that, I'm a little slow on the up take at times olfarhors!

Actually I think the change was to a different blinker fluid for the new model year! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just bought a brand new 740 slim. It has all of these features, and nowhere on the gun, box, or manual does it say G2...

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[/QUOTEI bought one 03/11/13 in Minnesota. If this is correct:

I have a G2.[/QUOTE]

I have seen pictures of the 709 G2 and several sites list them for sale - but not in stock. The G2 will be engraved on the right side of the slide toward the front. The gun is supplied with a 7 round magazine (standard) and the new 9 round magazine. All the other feature you mention are standard on the 709 and the 709 G2. So I guess I would have to ask Vtgilmore if he indeed does have a G2. I do not believe they have hit the market and he probably has the regular 709, like I do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts