Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think all the bugs are out of my 709 except for erratic (unpredictable) trigger pull force (SA). Today I disassembled the sear area to see if I could see anything obvious; and i couldn't.

But I learned: (1) a 4d finish nail with the point ground flat works well for driving out the aft pin, (2) the little detent ball for the manual safety is VERY easy to lose (but a magnet can find it), (3) the "aft sub chassis" is a very cleaver design; the individual parts are few but complicated and assembly is easy, only about 8 pieces total including 2 pins, 1 ball, and 2 springs.

I've had the gun for over a year so I think I'll see if more breaking-in helps before considering another trip to Miami. Also, I want to try a trigger pull gauge to quantify the variation vs my subjective feel. This isn't really that bad, particularly for a self defense gun, but target shooting would improve if the pull was more repeatable.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am no gun smith by far but would like to take down my fire pin/extractor assemblies. I have my 709 for over two years and never taken down these areas. I would like very much if you could give an explicite take down on this with pictures if you could. I know several others here would greatly appreciate that.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if you remember my posting on this but I got mine back from Taurus all fixed up. No more erratic or hard SA trigger. Said I had a damaged firing pin and bent trigger bar. Have no idea how that could have happened. They didn't list it but it looked like they put a new sear in as well. Runs like a champ now.
I followed your saga with interest and that's what convinced me I probably need to give Miami another try. But first, I wanted to measure pull (1) to be sure I'm not nuts (at least in that regard) and (2) to get a before/after measurement. For all I know, maybe the crisp, light pulls (which happen half of the time) are the abnormal ones.
Thanks for the link.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PT 709 Firing Pin and Extractor Disassembly

I am no gun smith by far but would like to take down my fire pin/extractor assemblies. I have my 709 for over two years and never taken down these areas. I would like very much if you could give an explicite take down on this with pictures if you could. I know several others here would greatly appreciate that.
Sorry for delay but I finally got around to making some photos. Hope this makes sense. I apologize in advance for my crappy camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Perfect and well done Scott9mm. I've saved it off and put it in my PT709 toolbox.

You da man.

·
Super Moderator
40,551 Posts
Very nice write up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just curious why are you disassembling your gun? did you need to replace parts or need to change the function of the gun/

·
Registered
313 Posts
just curious why are you disassembling your gun? did you need to replace parts or need to change the function of the gun/
I needed to replace a bad extractor. Back in those days you could just buy an extractor from Taurus for under $20, delivered. While I had the back cap off I inspected and cleaned the striker channel, in part because Outdrdude said Taurus replaced his striker to correct his similar trigger problem..

I was having an erratic trigger problem (like Outdrdude) when I started this thread. But jbtty asked about slide disassembly and I posted some instructions for that. This thread proceeded off on that tangent (slide disassembly) so I started a new, different thread (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-product-problems/69294-pt709-erratic-trigger-how-ship.html) , still trying to to solve on my erratic trigger problem.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Nice write up Scott.
When I tore into mine to give it a good cleaning all, I had was a YouTube video. I had to rewind and watch again, if I missed a step. This will be much easier in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am curious about the voided warranty issue. If I take out the striker to clean out the channel, does that void the warranty? I like to clean out the channel periodically on striker fired guns, since metal chips, powder residue, and oil can find its way into the channel and cause light strikes.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am curious about the voided warranty issue. If I take out the striker to clean out the channel, does that void the warranty? I like to clean out the channel periodically on striker fired guns, since metal chips, powder residue, and oil can find its way into the channel and cause light strikes.
Chief,
I wouldn't worry about it. I have used the instructions here to clean my pin many times now. I have over 4000 rounds thru my EDC 709 and had about 2000 on another one I sold.
I don't think taking apart and cleaning voids anything. Mods are a different story.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I correct my previous statement...couldnt find anywhere in my manual that says cleaning the channel voids the warrant just states repairs should be done by qualified smith. sorry for the mis-info

·
Registered
104 Posts
I correct my previous statement...couldnt find anywhere in my manual that says cleaning the channel voids the warrant just states repairs should be done by qualified smith. sorry for the mis-info
No problem! Gun makers can be "touchy" sometimes about what does and doesn't need to be done. For example, I contacted Ruger to see about buying a new striker for a SR9, since they didn't list one for sale on their website. (They do sell springs and cups, but not a complete striker.) They told me they wouldn't sell me one, since it wasn't a customer modifiable item, and if there was a problem with the striker, they wanted the gun to be sent in so they could evaluate and fix it. (I resisted the urge to ask why then would they sell springs and cups for the striker, which requires not only removing the striker but also disassembling it to replace these parts.) :loco:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have read many threads in the Taurus Product Problems forum, and from what I've read about other people's calls to customer service, anything beyond field strip does void the warranty. I have read several posts from people calling about sending their pistol to Miami for warranty work, and upon revealing to the CS rep that they had disassembled the slide to inspect the firing pin, the CS rep says that the warranty is now void.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts