Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post here on the forums as i just recently purchased my 709 Slim about 3 weeks ago. I've owned/still own a handful of handguns. I bought the 709 slim to replace my XDs 9mm 4.0 as my primary CCW as the XDs with the 4" barrel is a bit heavy for my liking as a carry gun. I read good things about the 709 and the price is good so i figured it was worth trying, and for the most part I've enjoyed it. First 20-30 rounds using some cheap 115gr ammo i had a ton of issues and was pretty bummed, but i switched to some 124gr and have not had a single FTE or FTF since (probably 300 rounds through it). However, there's one issue that's got me scratching my head. If i load the mag full and rack a round, eject the mag and put another round in, slap the mag back in, and then fire it, the first round i loaded shoots and ejects fine, slide cycles like it should, but it will not pick up the next round. I have to re-rack the slide and then it'll chew through the rest of the mag no problem. If i just load the mag up and rack the slide without removing it to add another round, it'll go through the whole mag perfect. But for some reason it won't pick up that next round after i've ejected the mag to get 7+1 capacity. User error? Am i doing something wrong/something i'm missing? I read the manual and didn't find anything on this and haven't been able to find anything similar on here. Or does it seem like an issue with the gun/mag? Only have 1 mag right now. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I load a mag - insert it - then press the slide release button on my PT 111 G2. Perhaps try letting the gun load the chamber.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
New mags are pretty tight, there may be enough drag from the top round, to slow the slide down, keeping it from going fully to the rear to pick up the first round from the mag.

It should wear in over time, try keeping the mag loaded for a couple weeks. Of course, clean and lube the gun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is just a wild guess, but ensure that the magazine spring is correctly oriented. It's possible the spring is rotated 180 degrees which would create excess force with a full mag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like most are leaning towards an issue with the mag. When i got the gun i gave it a good cleaning and fresh oiling before i shot it, and always clean and oil my guns after each range trip. But i have not yet cleaned the mag, nor have i left the mag loaded for more than just a couple minutes at the range. I'll pull it apart and give it a cleaning, check the rotation, and load it up for a few weeks to see if that helps. I'll update this with what i find. Feel free to keep throwing ideas/sharing experiences my way!

·
Registered
17,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welcome from Kansas, enjoy!

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
Here's what I do every time I take my PT709 apart to clean it. This procedure allows me to carry the gun with one in the chamber, uncocked, and ready to fire the first round double action. It has never failed to fire or cycle when I go to the range. This is how I carry all my Taurus pistols...pt 92, 99, 917, and 58 at all times. I always carry with the safety on.

Notice that I only pull the slide back far enough to engage the catch...maybe 1/8th inch and listen for the click when the catch takes hold.

(The little gizmo on the slide is called a Clip Draw)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's what I do every time I take my PT709 apart to clean it. This procedure allows me to carry the gun with one in the chamber, uncocked, and ready to fire the first round double action. It has never failed to fire or cycle when I go to the range. This is how I carry all my Taurus pistols...pt 92, 99, 917, and 58 at all times. I always carry with the safety on.

Notice that I only pull the slide back far enough to engage the catch...maybe 1/8th inch and listen for the click when the catch takes hold.

(The little gizmo on the slide is called a Clip Draw)

I also carry like this. I like the fact that this can be done with this pistol.
But, take note that the power of the firing pin spring is NOT as strong in DA mode as in SA mode. I have found that with a S&B JHP round carried like this it does NOT go off, not even if I pull the trigger again and again.
Only fires when it is in SA mode. Ammo that does work with every first pull of the trigger in DA mode is Magtech and Federal Hydra Shock, nothing else that I have on hand.
May I ask what round is in your chamber when you carry your 709 in DA mode?

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
I also carry like this. I like the fact that this can be done with this pistol.
But, take note that the power of the firing pin spring is NOT as strong in DA mode as in SA mode. I have found that with a S&B JHP round carried like this it does NOT go off, not even if I pull the trigger again and again.
Only fires when it is in SA mode. Ammo that does work with every first pull of the trigger in DA mode is Magtech and Federal Hydra Shock, nothing else that I have on hand.
May I ask what round is in your chamber when you carry your 709 in DA mode?
My chambered round, and the first round out of the magazine are Inceptor ARX. The other six rounds are either 124 grain standard pressure or 147 grain +P Federal HST, depending on the time of year. Hydra Shok is too inconsistent in both expansion and thus penetration and I won't carry it. I need to get back to the range now that the weather is warming up and I'll test some of the different ammo I have and post the results. Not doubting what you say but it seems that a weaker strike in double action would negate the advantage of double strike capability.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The double strike mode does not pull the striker as far back and (therefore) will strike the primer with less force. Just remove the slide and look at the locations of the regular sear and the "double strike" tab on the trigger bar, it's obvious.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I can hear the news report.
"The gun went off while he was cleaning it."
Don't think so:)
What is the difference between this and manually racking the slide to get one in the pipe? With both methods you must clear your firearm before you can start cleaning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The double strike mode does not pull the striker as far back and (therefore) will strike the primer with less force. Just remove the slide and look at the locations of the regular sear and the "double strike" tab on the trigger bar, it's obvious.
100% correct. That is why my S&B ammo with its hard primers fail to fire if loaded this way. You can see the difference on the empty shells how hard it strikes in DA or SA mode. SA mode makes a deeper dent in the primer.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
I stand corrected. I did a couple tests and the single action pin strike is measurably harder. I'll still test it on live ammunition when I head to the range. Thanks to you and Hunter2020 for the information and heads up. :bowdown:

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I can hear the news report.
"The gun went off while he was cleaning it."
Almost certainly not going to happen. For starters, the firing pin is never retracted and the firing pin block has never been moved into the firing position.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
New mags are pretty tight, there may be enough drag from the top round, to slow the slide down, keeping it from going fully to the rear to pick up the first round from the mag.

It should wear in over time, try keeping the mag loaded for a couple weeks. Of course, clean and lube the gun.
That was my thoughts as well. New mag + new springs = stiff but will change over time.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Almost certainly not going to happen.
It brings to mind . .
Hey fellars watch this !

As adult men how many times in our past have we done something and then after the accident or years later said to ourselves.
God I was dumb for doing that.
Just pulling that slide back with a round in the breech sets off the warning bells in my head.

If that's the condition you want to end up with, go for a gun with a decocker.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts