Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a PT140 and wanted to get the wife a PT638 or even a PT132...both are showing discontinued now. I thought the 638 was suppose to the the new model to replace the PT138?? I'm afraid to buy one now and not be able to get parts or support. Thanks

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I was thinking the PT638 was a fairly new model too, but it's not listed on the Taurus website.

We are glad to have you join us here at TaurusArmed.net, the friendliest handgun forum on the Internet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you do a search on the website for ".380" it pulls up all the .380 cal guns. Pretty much they are ALL now discontinued, which sucks. Wanted to buy the wife a nice .380 that wasn't blow back and wasn't light as a feather with recoil like a .40. Oh well...guess I will have to try to import a Glock 25 if possible.

·
32,481 Posts
The DT series of pistols in .380ACP are available according to the web site. The 2011 model pistols seem to be replacing a number of other Taurus models. I would not be surprised to see the Millinnium Pro models evaporate also. The 2011 DT pistols have the magazine capacity of the guns that they would replace.

I've seen the 2011 models " on stock watch" at several online gun stores. This has been for the last few months during last year and this one.

638s are still available at www.galleryofguns.com - Buy guns online, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of guns: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns. . Might be able to go to the local LGS and have them grab you a 638. I'd scarf up any extra mags you can find while you can.

Can't find a place that is selling the 2011 DT guns right now. but with the new year and the S.H.O.T show going on it would not surprise me if the changes taking place... or that are supposed to finally do take place.

We'll have to wait and see.

I wish they'd keep a model around longer and not change things so often. Progress can be a good thing. Too much of one is not a good idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I guess now I'm not sure what to buy the wife. She has a weak wrist, which happens to be the shooting hand. So guess I will start hunting again. Thinking maybe a 9mm using 115 gr would recoil about the same or maybe less, but that's hard to guess.

·
32,481 Posts
Thanks, I guess now I'm not sure what to buy the wife. She has a weak wrist, which happens to be the shooting hand. So guess I will start hunting again. Thinking maybe a 9mm using 115 gr would recoil about the same or maybe less, but that's hard to guess.
There a number of possibilites.

Take a look at the .32ACP in pistols and the .32 calibers in revolver form. Here's the reasoning.

Granted, the .32 ACP is no powerhouse, but there is this.
From Handloaders.com:
32 ACP Stopping Power, all bullet weights
Brand Bullet Shootings One Shot Stops Percent Diameter Penetration Notes
Winchester ST 151 99 66% 0.41" 9.2"
Federal HS 23 14 61% 0.44" 9.3"
CCI GD 10 6 60% 0.42" 9.9"
Winchester FMJ 203 99 49% 0.32" 11.1"

With the bonded and new generations of bullets, that penetrate deeply and retain most or all of their bullet weight, with premium ammo, the .32 ACP has been given a new life.

I can quote the story about the Rhodesian soldier who was injured and fought off more than a dozen terrorists in that region. His vehicle and rifle were damaged in an improvised explosive device. All he had left was Walther PPK to fight with.

He shot off a few rounds and the terrorists all ran! They left behind a Soviet made machine gun and many AKs and RPGs. It's been documented.

Several years ago there was a very good article in a police journal that documented military and police veterans who on their off time carried Kel-tecs and other .32 ACP pistols. It was documented why this was so and why the vets had good reason why the .32 ACP was trusted by them. A majority of the vets had done duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. Several trips into the sanbox or more.

Where this going is playing into the weak wrist thing.

Beretta makes the Tomcat 3032. NAA has the Guardian. I own one of each.

The Beretta has the tip up barrel for loading and unloading. No reason to rack the slide for the most part.

The NAA Guardian is a fine sub-compact pistol.

Oh,yes. There is the Taurus 732. I have one. It works well and the gun is not punishing.
The problem with all of this is that these are tiny guns. The good news is that they are tiny guns for carry.

For something bigger there is the CZ83 and the PT132 Mil Pro. These are in the medium to small pistol class, but are big enough to give a muzzle velocity boost to the .32 ACP. That's an advantage over the tiny pocket pistols. These guns recoil lightly, are user friendly, and are not tough to rack the slide on.

For revolvers there is the .327 Federal magnum. I own several :) ATaurus 327, Ruger SP-101, 3 inch barreled, and the Ruger GP-100.

The .327 advantage is that a revolver is user friendly, has a easy manual of arms compared to a pistol, is more powerful than any .32 ACP on down in caliber, and has ammo versatility. Match the ammo the need and mission.

Need power? The .327 Federal has that and is in the 9x19 +P+ category.
Want something that's step down? The .32 H&R magnum round is a pussycat yet still packs a nasty wallop. Not a large one, but it's there. The .32 H&R shoots bullets that are in the .380 ACP weight class.

This round is mild. That's true for even snub revolver. For practice, for fun, for teaching someone new to shooting,or defense, this one does well.

Need something a bit less powerful? The .32 H&R Longs are great for that. These are good for practice,fun, and teaching new shooters.

Let's back track just a bit to the .380 ACP. Beretta makes the model 84/85 family of pistols. One is a double stack and the other is a single stack. There is a model 86 that is only a used gun market find. The 86 has a tip up barrel.

Taurus has the PT138 Mil Pro and those are still available. It's a double stack like the 638.
Bersa has a single stack pistol that has legions of fans here.

This has to be her pick though so she needs to decide what is right for her.

If she needs to take a NRA or NSSF accredited basic course to get a well rounded basic education then she is better placed to make the decision what will fit her and her needs.

Women with weak wrists can be trained to be able to rack most slides. Not all. But it can be done.There is a proper method for that.
Cornered Cat has that and how to do it.

If she decides to go to a 9x19 the 24/7 and Millennium Pro pistols have double recoil springs in them that obviate recoil,muzzle rise, and felt recoil. The comapact versions have about the same magazine capacity as the 638.

Other than that it is on to thw 9x19 single stacks. Kahr K9/PM9, SIGs 225 or 239,a used S&W 908/3913 would all fill the bill. These have advantages over the PT709 (got one of those,too) and other tiny 9x19 handguns.

Taurus really messed things up when they discontinued the Taurus 908 single stack pistol. It was the right size for a lot of applications. So was the Taurus PT 92 AFC which was similar to the Beretta version of the compact 92. Ah,well.

Trying as many different guns before she makes pick will help.

Even a revolver such as the Rossi 851,six shot, or a Taurus 82 would also fill the bill. These are 6 shot revolvers, but there are plenty of practice and defense standard pressure rounds out there to fill the bill.

There are premium 110-125gr. brands,types, and makes of ammo.

Federal Nyclad has the 125gr. round nosed hollowpoint that's a great practice and self defense round.
Hornady makes great FTX ammo.
Buffalo Bore makes 2 very good standard pressure seld defense rounds.

148gr. wadcutters can be used for fun,practice,and for defense. No, they are not great for defense, but will give a good level of protection.

These are all better than a .380ACP and smaller calibers.

There's a lot to go through.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was able to get my hands on a Brand new PT638 at Gander Mountain outdoors. They had it on special for 299. Shot it yesterday and loved it. My wife loves it and will be her carry weapon. For home protection though she loved her Glock 26 for now.

·
32,481 Posts
Well I was able to get my hands on a Brand new PT638 at Gander Mountain outdoors. They had it on special for 299. Shot it yesterday and loved it. My wife loves it and will be her carry weapon. For home protection though she loved her Glock 26 for now.
Both are good guns to have. Happy shooting to her and you.

May she never need to shot it in anger.

·
32,481 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh,yes.

If the wife wants to take a gander at Cornered Cat , www.babeswithbullets.com , and www.womenandguns.com these are a good source for her. Cornered cat.com is a good one for even the guys to look at as well.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/concealed-carry-magazine/issue-a... is also a excellent source for printed data as well. There's a forum for such things there was well.

Thanks for the insight. I will take a look at those links. Going again to shoot some with it. Tried some winchester ammo through it and felt like the ammo was inconsistent. Shooting varied even when pointing at the same place. Had this same problem with my Glock, then switched to CCI and it was deadly accurate. Going to swap to CCI on the Taurus as well and try it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up a PT638 back in october and am trying to find an extra mag for it. I am an FFl and can still get the pistol but even my distributors can't get the mags.

·
32,481 Posts
Even the gun auction sites online came up empty and have for some time. SHEEESH!

I'd give a call or snail mail letter "in care of to the CEO" and let them know that PT638s are worthless without extra magazines. Do it in a diplomatic and polite way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well one more update, switched my wife to PMC and CCI ammo and big difference. Gun it super accurate, no jams and no FTE's as well. She shot about 125 rounds through it this weekend. She loves it so far.

·
Registered
253 Posts
gun probably wasn't popular. Personally I'd stick with guns in manufactor that are liked to ensure future parts. But then Taurus does warranty their guns for life...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gun probably wasn't popular. Personally I'd stick with guns in manufactor that are liked to ensure future parts. But then Taurus does warranty their guns for life...
Not really the case....the gun was specifically made for Academy sports. This is what Taurus told me when I called them about the gun. So I would look to speak with Academy for the mags or other parts needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jz97ss

If the wife wants a 638, get her one. I just bought one and it came with four mags and an extra 638 gun!!
Not really. My LGS called Taurus CS, about Mags.

We quoted you about the PT638 being made for Academy Sports, and were told that was not true, they were distibuted to many outlet distributors. As for the mags, we were told that they will be making another batch, but if you are not on the waiting list, you will not get one.

About Warranty...Taurus will repair or replace any Taurus firearm according to the terms in your owners manual.
We service every firearm we made, for life. Period.

I believed him so strongly, that I actually bought two 638's, from two different local dealers. Allso bought a beautiful P22 in .22lr, nickel finish with ebony grips, Now that's what I call being reassured.

Weather and health have kept us from firing either of the three, yet. Tell me THAT don''t hurt! BUT, I have four mags and a backup gun.

Lucky me, Now lets get rid of the rain!!

Pop:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was able to get my stainless pt638 for 279.99 at MC Sports. I did have to send it in for repair however. Barrel had not been crowned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok,

Strange opinion, but here it is- buy her the pt745, handload it down for her to practice with- I reload mine and my 10 year old daughter shoots it...4.4 grains of Titegroup and a 185 LSWC...load for carry in the 185 Federal Classic JHP- I have the same POI with both loads...and if she has to use it, the last worry is that the gun will kick...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts