Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pt609ti that I have had for a little over a year and I love the features and the feel of it, but after 50 rnds. The slide stop quit holding after the last shot and the DA function stopped working. I sent it back to Taurus and when I got back it seemed to be ok after 50 rnds. I took it to the range last month and after 50 more I noticed that the DA does not work again but if you push the slide back 1/8" there is a click and then the DA sear will catch the striker and DA will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found my problem, I took out the firing pin and spring and found the plastic rod that keeps the spring captive was broken. This allowed the spring to push the pin all the way forward so that the DA sear would not grab it, it also caused the pin to protrude from the breach face until it was caught by the SA sear. The cases showed gouges from the pin as the barrel pivoted down during firing.(taurus told me on the phone that this was normal) Has anyone else had this problem? The plastic rod that holds the firing pin spring captive does not seem to be very durable.

·
Registered
432 Posts
its an issue I learned about in my research about the 609Ti, and is what I hear was one of the reasons they discontinued that model... Now I think you can replace that plastic rod with a stronger one from the new mil pro series guns, but don't quote me on that because it in theory should work, but I only know of one guy that tried it and I haven't heard anything back on weather or not it was a viable option. Now this doesn't disuede me from having this model on my buy list, but it doesn't make it a high priority one, I do like its features and that rail thats on it, but the prices on those went up dramatically just since december.. If you can't get it fixed I would trade it in and get the PT111 or a PT809Compact both those have the same 3.5" barrel and in 9mm if thats the caliber you wanna stick with plus the newer models have many of the same great features Taurus offers and with updated parts that are readily available.. I would ask Qwiks draw or MilProGuy about the newer models they are my buddies and they know their stuff..

Good luck with that 609Ti and let us know how it works out,
Rob

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I would prefer the PT111 because the PT111 has a proven record. I don't use the laser sights so I don't care much about the accessory rails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I found my problem, I took out the firing pin and spring and found the plastic rod that keeps the spring captive was broken. This allowed the spring to push the pin all the way forward so that the DA sear would not grab it, it also caused the pin to protrude from the breach face until it was caught by the SA sear. The cases showed gouges from the pin as the barrel pivoted down during firing.(taurus told me on the phone that this was normal) Has anyone else had this problem? The plastic rod that holds the firing pin spring captive does not seem to be very durable.
I too had this issue with my PT609, and had to replace spring hold. I took it to a gun shop, and am not sure what he used, but it is not plastic.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi guys.

I have put over 600 rounds through my PT609, and so far no issues regarding the firing pin spring.
Some cleaning solvents can damage the plastic spring rod. Have any of you that have had this issue, sprayed these gun cleaning solvents into the firepin mechanism?

I can feel an urge to order some spare parts for my PT609 the next time I am talking with them. For sure, the spring and rod will be on that list. Probably good to also ask if they have a newer type rod that will work with it.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think all the millennium and 24/7 pistols use the same type of captive spring on a plastic rod set up. I will call Taurus and see if they will send me a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Taurus , and the parts are on the way, at my expense , but they were very inexpensive so I ordered some extras. In the meantime I made my own rod from a bicycle spoke and 2 nipples, I had the guy at the bike shop cut a ss spoke to length and thread it, cost $1. I then screwed on the nipples and ground them to fit. The gun works perfect now. I may leave the spoke in as long as it works. Taurus said they weren't having any issues with the captive spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts