Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Howdy,

I was thinking of picking up a pt38s at some point for a concealed carry piece. I already have a fullsize 1911 in that calibre, but I was wondering if people had that gun? I have large hands, what are people's experiences? Thank ya much.

-TexasRed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go ahead and buy it.

I have the stainless model that CDNN sells for $350, from a gun store on gunbroker.com. It's a great pistol for those with large hands (like me). After a couple dozen dry fires, followed by a thorough cleaning, the trigger pull was very smooth and the break is very clean. I seem to have a better time shooting it accurately at my local range's IPSC courses compared to my CZ-75B, but I've been too lazy to test its accuracy on a NRA bullseye target sheet.

Stock store-bought ammo is very limited and rather weak, but if you've got a reloading setup, then your options open up. Just keep your loads within SAAMI specs, otherwise Taurus will deny any warranty claim. They did tell me, however, that it is possible to run 9x23 WIN rounds with minimal wear.

I don't make a habit of concealed carry, but I've grown accustomed to wearing it IWB over my right hip. I would not hesitate to purchase it again or recommend it to someone else. It's my primary self-defense gun, and I don't mind losing a $350 pistol while it sits in an evidence locker vs. a decent 1911.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Now I just have to find the cash. :'(. I don't reload. . . . YET, I do keep the brass hehe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bl4ckd0g, how would you compare the grip to, say, a 1911 in the same caliber? I don't have large paws, but have no trouble with a 1911 and can get by OK with a Beretta 92FS (though it is a bit bigger than I would prefer.)

MarkA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts