Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am needing a guide rod or a pic with dimensions so I can turn one on the lathe. If anyone can take a pic of one with a quarter or nickel in the pic I can get dimensions from that thanks!

Friend of mine who bought it, shot it once and wouldn’t cycle, when I took it apart it didn’t have the guide rod and spring was bent. Not sure if a pt945 uses the same guide rod?

·
Super Moderator
36,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I don't own one, but someone should be along to offer advice soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am needing a guide rod or a pic with dimensions so I can turn one on the lathe. If anyone can take a pic of one with a quarter or nickel in the pic I can get dimensions from that thanks!

Friend of mine who bought it, shot it once and wouldn’t cycle, when I took it apart it didn’t have the guide rod and spring was bent. Not sure if a pt945 uses the same guide rod?
I've made a few custom recoil spring guide rods over the years. Measure the I.D of the recoil spring and then measure the distance from the where the rod sits in the slide from the front of the slide. Then measure the hole in the front of the slide where the guide rod goes thru, if it's a full length guide rod. That should be enough to get you going. I would leave 010" clearance between the guide rod O.D. and the front slide hole I.D. Same or more with the spring I.D. If may take you a couple of trial and errors, but it's actually pretty easy. Make the rod from good carbon or stainless steel. Either works fine.

And welcome to the forum. Lot's of good people here.

·
Registered
13,935 Posts
I want to say that the rod is the same between the 945 and 38S. I still own my 945, but not my 38s so I can't do an actual side by side look n see.

Years ago I owned the PT1911 .45acp, but had purchased the upper complete slide of a 38Super 1911 and could convert the same 1911 frame from one caliber to the other with no issues. But, alas I sold the 38Super slide conversion to another member here on the forum.

In short, now looking back at what I just replied I guess I wasn't too much help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I need to add, if it is a half length rod, be sure to work the slide by hand and verify the slide does not contact the end of the rod on the slide cycle to the rear. I don't own this particular model so I don't know which it is. It should be an easy and fun project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts