Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At range today with several pistols. First mag 10 rd. in PT24/7CA .40S&W and something hit my goggles. Drop mag, insert new and WTF rear sight is missing. This old fart crawled around on the ground looking thru all the debris - knowing I'd never find the screw, but maybe the sight itself. Finally gave up.

Get home and call Taurus CS. The phone hangs up on me. Call back. #5 in line - 20 min. and Edith answers. Tell her what we need. Trouble finding and I give S/N, Model & DAO not PRO - no dovetail on sight. Seems to have problem finding, then says all resolved and shipping NO Charge under warranty 3-screws and 1-rear sight (bought in Sept. 2012). Fingers crossed I get the correct sight. Edith says to expect in 7-10 days - got my fingers crossed it shows and is correct. But no complaint as of this moment - went rather fast and well. Did note Edith sounded really whipped and down. Asked if busy cause she sounded tired and weary. Said it had been along day and she had until 10PM EST yet to go.

Reactions: bre346

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
Good to hear of it. I called CS for a sight screw as well..... Asked for 2 NP will be 7-10 days....got them 4 days later.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I like your report. You did the right thing, showing patience and compassion. And you go the right parts. Way to go.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankly, I'm kicking my own butt for not checking screws on sights before firing - as I usually do either when cleaning, prepping for range or on range. Not today. Edith gave me prices on sight ($12) and 3-pack of screws ($3) and I said fine and was digging out my CC before saying she would send underwarranty.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we're batting .500 - returned home to find UPS envelope on porch step from Taurus. Excitedly opened what appeared to be an empty envleope - did have a plastic sleeve with a new rear sight (which appears to be correct) BUT the (3) screws are hex key and too large - I needed a slotted screw that head will mate with shoulder inside sight to hold in place. Called CS and spoke with Joel within 2 minutes hold time. He found the correct screws and said would have them shipped soon. Took 9 days to get todays package.

The rear site #26009668 is shown on paperwork to be for PT111/138/640 (no mention of PT24/7CA) - I actually have no idea if it is same as one lost, but it does fit - I feared I would get one that needed dove tail groove to mount. However, it does fit flush and solid on pistol - just won't stay there without screw.

The hex key screws are #26025221 and shown as for a PT1911 - in any case not for my pistol.

Disappointed, but not upset. Thanked Joel and we wished each other a good evening. Good thing this isn't the only pistol I have and isn't needed for a match this weekend. LOL

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SIGH!!..................not sure what we're batting right now.LOL Received replacement for incorrect set of screws to retain rear sight - and while the threads are correct, the slotted head is too large to inter the relief hole and sits on top of sight in groove between the two dots. I'm guessing I can make do with this, but I'm calling CS next week and will again try to get the correct screw for this PT24/7CA pistol. On second thought, Maybe they sent me the wrong sight and screws first go round and now I have the correct screw and wrong sight?? Although doubt as the front sight uses same screw as rear and this new screw head will not enter the recess on it either. I'm sure glad this isn't the only pistol I have - otherwise I may be going ballistic about now. LOL

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I'm not believing this. Took the PT24/7CA to range today. Had installed new rear sight (that went flying last range visit) and used Loctite on threads. Checked front sight - it was tight and didn't want to tighten more, so left it alone. Big mistake. About 65 rds. down range and about 5-6 rds left in mag, lo and behold the front sight disappeared. Crawled around on all fours looking for the damn thing to no avail - just too much crap to sift thru and I have absolutely no idea which direction that sight went - searched about a ten foot radius, but range hasn't cleaned up casings in awhile and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Good news - the new rear sight is still solidly attached. LOL Guess I'll be on the horn in the AM with CS to see if I can get a front sight. And people wonder why I drink!!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called CS this AM - five minute wait. Spoke with Mike regarding lost front sight. On back order, but said they would ship NC as soon as available, so PT24/7CA is in safe until sight arrives.

While I had them on the phone ordered (2) 3 pks. of mag sleeve extensions for the 24/7 9mm & .40; Spare recoil spings for 709, 740, PT111, PT140, PT24/7 9mm & .40, and another set of (3) screws for PT24/7CA sights. All these items were in stock per Mike and should receive in next 7-10 days Total $58.65 and presume that included shipping (didn't ask).

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yikes, sending some good vibes down to central Texas.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
........................as Aggravation Sets In................

Taurus screwed the pooch. I received only two each of the 9 & 40 spacers rather than the six each ordered (I ordered 2-packs of three each - apparently lost in translation). And to boot - all the recoil springs I ordered were in one bag, not tagged for what gun and now have to break down each pistol to determine which is for which - and it appears the 709 & 740 have different part numbers, but paint ID'd the same. It appears the PT111MP & PT140MP use the same spring, but paint ID'd different.:eek:

To make a long story short - I have no spacers to pass on and seriously doubt I will order any more as not very impressed with their fit on either the 9 (26118947 / UPC 725327900405) or 40 (26118955 / UPC 725327900412) listed as "Magazine Prolongation" for PT24/7 Pro - still has about a 3/16" gap on mag when inserted into PT111 or 140.
Above as posted in another thread.

...................and another 4-6 weeks to get my front sight for the PT24/7CA.

EDIT: On line awaiting CS. In addition to that stated above the PT111 & PT140 recoil springs are totally incorrect and 709 spring is so short it just falls out if slide rotated - has no compression to install. 740/ PT24/7Pro DS 9MM and PT24/7CA springs all correct.

EDIT 2: 50 minutes start to finish + only about 10 minute wait to get to CS. They are going to send the additional 4-mag sleeves for PT24/7 9 & 40. Recoil spring for the PT111MilPro is on backorder; PT140MilPro recoil they had; and sending me a 740 recoil spring in place of the 709 spring that is too short - said that although different part numbers they were the same. They are going to charge me for the additional sleeves, but prepay on the new "correct" parts and the balance of backorders for PT24/7CA front sight (warranty) and PT111MP recoil spring, but want me to pay to send back the wrong springs. I didn't belabor the point about having to pay return - although will if I get wrong parts again. Another week or so of waiting and suspense hoping to receive correct parts. Not angry, just exasperated.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally received the PT24/7 mag sleeves shorted (9 & 40); also recoil springs for PT709/740 and PT140MilPro - at least correct this time. Still on B/O are front sight for PT24/7CA and spring for PT111MilPro.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy Endings - Always a Pleasure

Received my Feb. 2013 backordered front sight for PT24/7CA .40 yesterday. Install and Loctite the screw (as done of new front sight, too). Also, painted white dot Dayglo red and with the rear two white dots makes quite a good sight picture. Took it to range this morning along with PT140 and new to me PT99AFB & PT99AFS and new virgin M992-4"-SS. The "great" sight picture took some getting use to. LOL Did check screws on front and rear sights during shoot to be sure they weren't coming loose and glad to say the Loctite is doing it's job. Now it's clean up time amid the afterglow of a fine weather range day - RO sent me to alternate pistol range and had it all to my self for 3.5 hours - fun day.

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
Glad the sight finally came in. I love when I have the range to myself, I can check targets any time I want and don't have to worry about others doing something stupid.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Good on ya!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.