Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the LGS a few days ago looking for ammo... Under the glass i spied a Taurus PT22.. I was able to handle it and liked the feeling. Since I have approx 1500 rounds of 22 lr, i was thinking this might be a fun gun to own. Does anybody own one and if so what is your opinion of it?

The LGS is asking $299 but that seems a bit steep to me. Of course in todays environment that may be a normal price....

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The PT22 was the worst semi-auto I've ever owned. Never fired more than 2 mags out of it. Never had two consecutive rounds without a misfeed. Sent it back to Taurus and they kept it for 3 months. Returned it to me with the same issue. Returned it again and 3 months later I got it back with the same issue with two new factory mags. Sold it to a pawn shop for $50. $200 loss. Got lucky since 5 pawn shops would not buy a used PT22. I may have had a rare experience, but it was my last with a PT22. Two gun shops in town also gave a bad report on the PT22 and would not even look at it. Sorry for the bad report, but it was what it was.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Bought my wife one, SS with Pink Pearl grips, cleaned it up VERY well, polished the
feed ramp a little with 2000 grit sandpaper and then used Flitz, loaded mag with 8 rounds
and let it sit for a few days. I checked everything on the gun before it was fired( like I do on
all my new guns)and guess what, damn thing fires EVERYTHING put down it's barrel. Fun gun to shoot, and pretty damn
accurate. It has a little kick and barks loudly for a 22lr, but it is so dependable my wife carries it
now on her all the time. I am still looking to get one for myself.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I love my PT 22 "mouse gun"! I had my lgs/indoor range club order one for me last fall before 22lr went extinct. I paid about what you would be. In MD they require a shell casing for registration and Taurus doesn't do that. Also our transfer paperwork is a lot of work for all parties(right now it's taking 4 to 5 weeks to get a handgun transfer in our state!) So prices around the country are going to be different. Do business where you are comfortable and where they take care of you. I bought my PT22 based on how many folks on this forum like them -and I really like my P T22 and I am revolver person! Right now with the shortage of 22lr I'm not shooting mine that much because when I take it to the range I can really burn thru some ammo! It shoots anything I feed it, is pretty accurate for a short barreled gun, has a respectable bark, but doesn't hurt to shoot-and the tip up barrel is arthritis friendly -as well as just darn easy to operate.Clean your new firearm thoroughly like others have said, before taking it to the range the first time and break it in with "better" ammo like CCI mini mag. After shooting 100 rnds or so try some other ammo. It will give you years of entertainment and good target practice for shooting larger calibers. Our lgs isn't big on Taurus products, but they know I like them and I shoot well with them, so now they always show me first when they get a new Taurus in. I say -go for it! The PT 22 is a great little gun for the money! If you do have problems, Taurus will fix it! I just had a revolver go back 3 times for different things and now it's fabulous! Wish those Taurus tech service guys would build 'em from scratch!

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got mine at Academy $199 a couple of months ago. I was in there a few days ago and they had one for the same price. Mine is the blue / black model. The SS and colored versions are priced a little higher, I think.

I got it mainly to carry when I am int the woods fishing or in lonely places in my kayak. Oh... and I like to shoot and the cost of ammo is good. The folks here are correct in that it has a pretty loud bark for a 22.

I have a few hundred rounds through it. First time I fired it, it took everything from Winchester bulk to CCI Mini Mags. It has become a little more finicky of late. I think due to insufficient lube on the slide - going to give a light coat of grease a try. Also going to give the feed ramp a little polish as well.

I like the gun, fits my pocket well. I would buy another one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The PT22 was the worst semi-auto I've ever owned. Never fired more than 2 mags out of it. Never had two consecutive rounds without a misfeed. Sent it back to Taurus and they kept it for 3 months. Returned it to me with the same issue. Returned it again and 3 months later I got it back with the same issue with two new factory mags. Sold it to a pawn shop for $50. $200 loss. Got lucky since 5 pawn shops would not buy a used PT22. I may have had a rare experience, but it was my last with a PT22. Two gun shops in town also gave a bad report on the PT22 and would not even look at it. Sorry for the bad report, but it was what it was.
I would buy 5 at 50$, I love my little pt22, Mine is the poly model though.

And to OP I paid $200 for a like new pt22 poly

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I bought my PT22 Poly for $175, and they had the steel versions for $225 just last week at my LGS. Same price they've been for the last year. $299 is a bit too high for my blood for that little pocket rocket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have two of them. Got one for my wife and one for my mother, neither of whom can rack a slide. One is poly, the other is steel. As long as we shoot CCI Mini Mags or any high velocity ammo through them, there is never a problem. Bulk ammo will just not feed and eject reliably, and the PT22 is a nightmare to try to clear when jammed because of the very stiff slide.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Remington Golden Bullets seem to be the best bulk ammo I've found for my 22, no jams and cycles every time now. Only bad part to me is the 12 pound trigger pull, but I wasn't expecting anything less than 10 pounds on a DAO pistol that I can hide in my hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my PT22 at Gander Mountain for $199 in Dec 2012, but then again there was a $50 mail in rebate. Some ammo is finicky with this gun though. Not knowing much about the gun i bought CCI 22LR with lead rounds and misfired every single time. I did not however have a problem with the CCI 22LR Mini Mag ammo. Put 100 rounds through without any problem. I do like te how the chamber opens

·
Registered
654 Posts

.22LR + Pistol = Frustration

I would get an old Ruger Mark II before a PT-22. In fact the next time I see a Ruger Mark II or above for less than 300 bills I'm going snatch it up. Great pistols for plinking and deadly accurate for home defense for the woman in the house if she's not too fond of 19 rounds of 9mm. PT92 FTW!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
.22LR + Pistol = Frustration

I would get an old Ruger Mark II before a PT-22. In fact the next time I see a Ruger Mark II or above for less than 300 bills I'm going snatch it up. Great pistols for plinking and deadly accurate for home defense for the woman in the house if she's not too fond of 19 rounds of 9mm. PT92 FTW!
Great comparison between the Ruger Mk II and the PT22. The MK II is just a tad more difficult to carry in your front pocket. I own a PT22 that I carry from time to time as a bug. It feeds reliably on Mini-mags and CCI Blazer. I just bought a new Promag magazine but have yet to try it... took 5 weeks to deliver as Promag is behind in their orders.

·
32,942 Posts
My two PT-22s are reliable enough that I use them as a backup to my CCW carry gun at times.

Remington Golden Bullets, CCI Mini-mags, and Federal Bulk Pack rounds work in then both. The CCI and Remington ammo are the reliable ammos in them both for backup consideration.

I can dig out a recent overwhelming bunch of PT-22 links but I think you get the picture. :)

I like the tip up barrel and the DAO trigger pull is light enough for me to get good groupings at 7 yards or out a bit further. No, it is not a Ruger MK.III, but it was never supposed to be used for that kind of use. I've never seen a PT-22 at the local bullseye competitions. :)

Lots of people here use their PT-22s for plinking, pest removal, or all around fun gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are two different PT-22 designs out there now, the older PT-22s and the newer PT-22 PLYs. It would be helpful when people post if everyone noted which PT-22 model they are posting about (some people did). The newer design is much improved over the old model. I picked up a PLY about a month ago at a LGS for $239 out the door. I only have 150 rounds through it, but it's been flawless so far with Winchester Super-X and Remington Golden bulk. This little gun is SO much fun! It kicks quite a bit and isn't a range gun, but it is seems to be super reliable so far and well designed and built. I was getting 4" groupings at 25 feet. I think I'll be able to get them a little tighter once I get more practiced with the DA trigger.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.