Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one of these? I might like to get one, but I'd like to hear stories...

Todd

·
32,497 Posts
The PT22 is a fun gun to shoot. Magazine holds 8 rounds.

The DAO trigger takes some getting use to, but is functional and not hard to use.he trigger is stiff at first, but smooths out over with use.

Have had mine know for over 5 years and had nothing but excellent service from it.

Easy to take apart for maintenance, easy to load, and not having to rack the slide to load are some of the good points. CCI standard, CCI Mini mags, Fedral generic, and Remington Golden Bullet .22lrf all function well. Definitely stay away from the hyper-velocity rounds such as Remington Yellow Jacket or CCI Stingers. Same goes for Quik Shok. Batters the gun and can cause malfunctions. This also causes timing out of battery.

This gun does not have an extractor, but relies on the gas blow back to eject the shell casing. Do not rack the slide to clear a jam as this could set off the round. One has to remove the mag and then hit the spring loaded button that releases the barrel to pop up and open. Then the gun needs to be turned upside down safely and the round removed by gravity or pulling it out with the fingers. Same goes for Beretta 21A models.

A person's hand size may play into this. Having small hands I can get a good purchase on the grip.Large hands may have some problems. There are those who use the middle finger to set off the trigger, because of this or just because they can. Don't do it. It is unsafe and detrimental to accurate shooting with pistols this small.If and when gripping with two hands, watch how close the secondary hand comes to the muzzle while shooting. Some people have let the left hand drift towards the slide or muzzle of these short barreled guns.

Like mine for plinking or as as a backup to a primary arm or last ditch weapon. It does hide well in a pocket holster and disappears completely. There is some heft to the PT22. It does make the PT22 sit rock still in the hand for so small a pistol. The bark of the cartridge from an abbreviated barrel does take some getting used to. Minor, but there to be sure. That about sums that up. :) ;D

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have one and the wife does as well. Mine has always functioned good, but hers had to make a trip to the factory. While mine will shoot everything, even cheap bulk rounds, hers will only function normally with CCI Mini Mags. The magazines seem to be the biggest issue with these guns. Only use factory Taurus mags for best results. Some mags work better than others. Taurus replaced both mag bodies on the one I sent it, and made some adjustments as well to the gun itself. Keep the gun clean. Small .22 autos hate to be dirty, and the Mini Mags seem to be a cleaner ammo as far as .22 goes. The wife likes the tip up barrel as the slide is almost impossible to rack, even for me. Overall, a good value for a small .22 auto. Nice plinker, and does see occaisional use as a back up piece. expect to pay about $180 NIB. The newer production models are more reliable than the older ones.

Reactions: AZM66

·
Registered
266 Posts
What Qwiks draw said. Fun little gun that is surprisingly accurate out to 15 yards or so. It even fed and functioned with some of that crappy Russian steel cased stuff that was floating around a few years ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The local shop had one of these for 129 used, and I missed it, still want one.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bought one and am looking for another. Very comfortable grip in a small gun if you have bigger hands

·
Registered
388 Posts
I picked one up at a gun show used. I like it. It is fun to shoot. It is a little hard to clean, but no big deal. You can change from longer barrel to a shorter one and the grip can be changed to your liking. I put a laser on mine that I found on e-bay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just sent mine back to Taurus for repairs yesterday. The firing pin possibly broke on the second trip to the range. (That is my assessment, but I will wait to see what Taurus says for the official report.)

It's a nice little gun though and has a comfortable grip that fits well in my hands. I got the blued model with gold accents and wood grips. Kinda of foo-foo but the wife likes it and is looking forward to practicing with it when it gets back.

·
32,497 Posts
The cartridge rim makes contact with the slide or any metal surface with any force the round detonates. Especially if the cartridge doesn't clear properly. Rimfire ammo is more sensitive to this than centerfire ammo. Since the primer is in the rim and jarring to the rim on the way out sets things off.

The cartridge rim slams into the slide on the way out either backwards or forwards and detonation takes place. Has happened enough times that warnings have been issued for the Beretta 21s and the Taurus PT22s. Same can happen for the .25 ACPs.

Any time a gun relies on blowback for ejection of the fired case this kind of thing can happen in any pistol of this type.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
so would'nt this be possible with any rimfire? not just the pt22?

i've had jams with .22lr's before and pulling back the slide always seems to get the bugger out without incident, i just had'nt heard of the warnings before.

honestly dont see any other way to clear a jam then to retract the slide.

the pt22 maybe you could tilt the barrel but thats a pretty rare feature in a gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i finally got mine ...i waited six months for a nic/gold/pearl...couldn't get the factory mag out or back in...rounds wouldn't feed out the mag....got a new mag, not much better...after 5/6 trips to the range with the needle nose, i have both functioning 99% on Federal's....Blazer's still have issues...i love the feel, big hands also...DA trigger is not a problem , i have several keltecs...600 rounds so far a fun/ cheap shoot....gpr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my PT22 back from Taurus last week. They replaced the firing pin.
My conclusion is that the PT22 is crap. I never really had an opportunity to fire it and give it a proper rating since the firing pin broke right after I got it.

It is not very accurate and there were several misfires with different ammunition.
My final thoughts is that there are much better guns on the market.
I do encourage you to test fire one before considering a purchase, just to be fair.

·
Registered
390 Posts
michaelfm said:
While mine will shoot everything, even cheap bulk rounds, hers will only function normally with CCI Mini Mags.
I had a PT22 (sold it to fund a different gun purchase and regret it to this day). Mine had the exact same problem. It would only cycle CCIs, I could get NO other ammo to work, period. Even with that problem, though, I miss that little gun a lot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My fiance has one, not a bad little gun, like Ksoldier said, there are plenty better I think. Definitely for close range, small sights, hers has a tendency to jam up, bullet to high, or low. Seems to be more low than anything else. Haven't had a chance to try round nose, usually HP's. Also have a new mag that hasn't been to the range yet. That could fix it. If it does we'll send the old one in, if it doesn't, we may send the gun in to check it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to wait a little longer because Taurus announced PT22 in a polymer frame. (PLY22) I have not heard any reviews on it but I am sure they will be here soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased my 4th Taurus pt-22,and i also owned a pt-25 recently. The first pt-22 was flawless after initial break-in [less than 100rds.]Unfortunately,I was forced to sell it due to finances!! i put over 700 rds thru it and had 7 failures in the first 100 [0] none [email protected] 2 weeks later my $$$situation improved{i thought haha]so i bought another ,my 2nd pt-22.I like em .can you tell?anyway, this one needed no break- in,it performed flawless from the beginning!I really do like the smooth trigger pull.While i am far from being an expert, more like ,just had a lot of different pistols over the years so i am familiar with several different types of semi,s The first one was white/pearl/gold,this one is black pearl and gold. I think they are great looking pistols.As far as accuracy goes i am not a real good shot!! But i am getting very familiar with this little pistol and now can hit a pie plate at about 21 ft. 9 out of 9 times!! Granted,im not being stressed,but i think i can hit what i am at within reason. Well. now this one has to go! short term planning. need $$$ again.To much month at the end of the money! so i sell it. back and forth i go. i want and feel a need to be armed at all times and i do have my conceal carry permit,thus the seemingly rash purchases. fast forward,yesterday i bought the 4th and hopefully last pt-22.this one is blue/with black pearl and no gold. beautiful to me. the first two shots fired using stingers [i dont shoot these regularly] the slide didn't return fully to battery. i just bumped the back of slide and off they went. the next 6 went fine. i only fired 2 more mags yesterday,. the first steady but ,but not rapid fire. perfect. the next mag i fired as fast as i could pull the trigger[pretty fast]! Absolutely perfect. I will carry this daily and will shoot it daily,because i can afford the ammo!I love the tip-up barrel so you never have to rack the slide!If you take your thumb nail and hold the little button on the mag all the way down its a cinch to quickly load.As soon as the sun comes up im going to the woods and shoot a bunch. Hope some of this was useful. I intend to give further comments as my use of this pistol continues. ai anyone interested in these reports?? Peace,mc

·
Registered
963 Posts
I like mine but it has a very strange manual of arms.
When the magazine is out the gun esentially locks up. You can open the barrel but the slide doesn't rack.
Mine so far has been reliable with crap ammo.

I put a clip draw on it and it hides under a tight t-shirt.

AFS

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's how they're designed, as are some others. With the mag out, it cannot be fired, or racked. Must have the mag in to function.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts