Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here. I just moved from Alaska to Texas, and could not take my wife's Beretta .22 through Canada, so gave it to my son. Just bought her a PT22 LR for Christmas. When I bought it, from Academy, they wouldn't allow me to insert a magazine and pull the slide back. Their web site says all firearm sales are final, so thinking they won't help or take it back. This morning when opened, I noted pitting on the frame that disturbs me, my fault for missing it at the store though. However, I'm a 220 pound healthy male, and I cannot pull the slide to the rear! If I put it to my chest and grip the forward edge, it's all I can do to overcome the spring or whatever and get it to slide to the rear. Yes, with the clip in, safety off and grip security unlocked. I can get it to slide slightly easier if I pull the trigger while pulling extremely hard on the slide.

There is absolutely NO WAY my wife can chamber a round. Is this just someting with Taurus or is there something wrong? I understand rim fire needs decent hammer hits, but this is above and beyond.

Academy will not take it back for another model or style, and I doubt Taurus will refund money. Any ideas or others with similar issues?

Thanks, Larrym

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe this is normal for a new PT22, at least for mine it was. It'll get easier after firing a good number of rounds through the pistol, but not by much. The proper way to chamber the first round in a PT22 is to use the tip-up barrel feature.

Oh... and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pfftt, I've owned many semi's and never had to manually slide a round into the chamber for the first shot, and the manual simply says pull the slide to the rear and let it go...as we know, easier said than done. Your method makes sense, and that's what I'll do. I just don't really care for having a round chambered around the house, I doubt she could to all that in an intruder emergency. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Again, thanks for the reply, have a great Christmas day, can you say Prime Rib..? :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have you disassembled the weapon and checked the slide for burrs? Have you cleaned/lubed the thing properly yet? By the way, not may firearms sellers take back pistols they sell; they expect service is done by the manufacturer and taking back the pistol would only put them in the process of returning the pistol.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Gun stores are simply agents, they sale things for manufactures, they typically do not warranty/guarantee anything, add to that the fact that a firearm is serralized and once the FFl transaction form is completeled then the gun is at that particular moment a used gun.
so would pay new price for a used gun?
how would you feel if you found out someone sold you a weapon as new that 3 other people had bought and returned?
the manufacture will correct the problem if one exist, Academy will normally take care of return to the manufacture of any weapon tye sale if you contact the store where you bought it, or simply contact Taurus.
as noted these guns have been made by Beretta/Taurus for ages and none that i have ever handled or shot was exactly the smoothest or most accurate of weapons, and of course that tip open barrel kind indicates how to chamber it, thats exactly why it was designed in that manner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts