Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! I am a new member to the site but am a long time Taurus owner (got my first PT99 for Christmas in 1986). I recently purchased a PT22 for use as a deep conceal BUG and shot it for the first time on Wednesday. The gun is the standard frame, nickel, with checkered wood grips. I ran 100 rounds of CCI mini mag and about another 100 rounds of the Federal 36gr bulk box through the gun with no FTF or FTE. I did how ever experience an interesting problem. In about every other magazine (or about every 18 rounds) I got a double or triple fire from one trigger pull. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I cleaned the gun out of the box (as I always do) but it was a quick job because I was ready to get to the range and I used the same Outers gun oil I've been using for years(I did not use any solvent). I thoroughly cleaned the pistol when I got home from the range using the same Outers gun oil and Outers solvent (I was careful with the solvent -I know it can be touchy to use on nickel.) I really like the little pistol - it shoots well and I have other uses for it (I didn't buy it to be a BUG exclusively.) Anyone have any feedback regarding the double and triple fires? Thanks in advance for your help! Oh, and it's good to be here :cool:

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
First off welcome to the forum, i'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Now on to the problem with the double fires. I would check to make sure nothing is built up in the firing pin channel. I had it happen once with my PT-22 Poly, and noticed that the firing pin actually sits out of the hole slightly. If the slide just happens to hit with enough force on reset, the rimfire primer can receive just enough force to ignite and fire. Some primers are much softer than others and don't take a deep strike to let off a round. If cleaning the channel doesn't cure the problem, you'll want to contact Taurus about sending it in because there's possibly an issue with sear engagement that's allowing it to not reset with the trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion! I will check the channel and clean it again. My concern was that it might be some sort of sear issue even though I know Taurus would fix it with no problem - I just didn't want to have to send the gun off. Thanks again and have a great day!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Like Montkun said concerning the firing pin channel and checking the sear engagement. You may need to have a gunsmith confirm the sear engagment.

I did have a problem one time with the wifes High Standard Supermatic Citation target pistol where the disconnector had become loose allowing it to "double" now and then. I simply tightened it down and the problem went away.

I had both hers and mine set up for bulleye target shooting with a very light trigger pull and when I was in there and seen just how little sear engagement there was :eek: I made a note not to use them for any other activity unless I adjusted them for a heavier trigger pull!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts