Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I have an irrational need to buy one of these things (I would really prefer the .25 ACP version, but I see it's no longer in the catalog.). I did a search concerning dry-firing the .22LR version, and where there are many admonitions to NOT dry fire it, nobody addressed my concern, which is this:

These pistols do not have a slide hold open on the last round fired. So when you are firing this little pistol, unless you are diligent in your round-counting, when you fire the last round and the slide cycles and closes on the empty chamber, you are very likely to dry fire it that one last time before you realize the pistol is empty. Is this damaging to the pistol? How often cn you do this before damage occurs? Wouldn't you think that Taurus should have addressed this in the design?

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
With no cartridge in place, the firing pin generally strikes the breech face in a rimfire. Too much of this can damage the firing pin and/or peen the breech face. Neither is good and will cause malfunctions ranging from misfiring to failure to extract.

The question is, how many times can you do it before it causes problems? Once? not a problem. Ten times? not a problem. A hundred times? maybe a problem. It all depends on how hard or soft the firing ping is and ditto the breech face. Do your best to avoid it.

Even if you never dry fire a .22 they eventually succumb to the same issues, just much more slowly. Like thousands of rounds. In my experience you lose a few firing pins before the breech face gets peened. Most manufacturers make the firing pins softer than the breech face.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
With no cartridge in place, the firing pin generally strikes the breech face in a rimfire. Too much of this can damage the firing pin and/or peen the breech face. Neither is good and will cause malfunctions ranging from misfiring to failure to extract.

The question is, how many times can you do it before it causes problems? Once? not a problem. Ten times? not a problem. A hundred times? maybe a problem. It all depends on how hard or soft the firing ping is and ditto the breech face. Do your best to avoid it.

Even if you never dry fire a .22 they eventually succumb to the same issues, just much more slowly. Like thousands of rounds. In my experience you lose a few firing pins before the breech face gets peened. Most manufacturers make the firing pins softer than the breech face.
In other word's, NO, do not dry fire a .22.......................

·
23,203 Posts
I heard a certain company bought out the world's supply of certain type of meteorite composed of an iron-vanadium alloy. That alloy, impossible to replicate on Earth because of the effects of gravity on metascale crystal formation within the metal, enables that company to make rimfire firing pins that are immune to dry firing damage. There's a limited supply, of course. Wish I remembered which company it was.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I heard a certain company bought out the world's supply of certain type of meteorite composed of an iron-vanadium alloy. That alloy, impossible to replicate on Earth because of the effects of gravity on metascale crystal formation within the metal, enables that company to make rimfire firing pins that are immune to dry firing damage. There's a limited supply, of course. Wish I remembered which company it was.
Uh, Lex Luthor Enterprises?

·
Registered
580 Posts
These pistols do not have a slide hold open on the last round fired. So when you are firing this little pistol, unless you are diligent in your round-counting, when you fire the last round and the slide cycles and closes on the empty chamber, you are very likely to dry fire it that one last time before you realize the pistol is empty. Is this damaging to the pistol? How often cn you do this before damage occurs? Wouldn't you think that Taurus should have addressed this in the design?
When we shoot my wife's, it is reasonably easy to count the rounds and avoid dry-firing the pistol. Does it happen, sure on occasion. While you do want to avoid dry-firing the pistol you will probably be OK with this occasional mistake. Just don't dry fire it on purpose trying to break-in the trigger or something. Of course if it's your carry pistol a dry-fire will be the least of you concerns. Finally, if you are really concerned about mis-counting and accidental dry-fires, put a snap cap in the magazine first and then load it. That way the last hammer strike will be on the snap cap and not an empty chamber. Me - I just count.

·
32,766 Posts
So far what you all have said is true. An occasional dry fire can happen and little to nothing will happen to the firing pin.
I went through the whole PT-22/25 owner manual. Nowhere did it say not to dry fire. That was the manual at the Taurus site. The but, you knew there had to be one,(no, not that kind of butt) the older PT-22 manuals did say not to dry fire the PT-22.

I do dry fire my PLY-22 and PT. I do however do use snap caps for that.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I am guessing Ruger, since my SR22 is the first rimfire I have ever owned that says dry firing is OK. tpelle if you are close to Omaha, NE or Sx city, IA I have one I would part with reasonably. Decent gun, but I have moved on to a 9mm for CC and larger .22s for plinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts