Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is 78 years old and is looking for a small cal pocket/home defense gun He has tried my Kahr CW380 but can not rack it or any semi I have. He does not like a S/A revolver and really can not handle a 38 cal revolver. I showed him a video of the PT 22 adn how it loads and he is very interested in one. I would like the feed back about them and maybe if anyone has a used one for sale I can interest him in it.

Reactions: kruizer

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
I have not shot mine for a while but it ran flawlessly when I put it away. They run best on high velocity ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
My neighbor is 78 years old and is looking for a small cal pocket/home defense gun He has tried my Kahr CW380 but can not rack it or any semi I have. He does not like a S/A revolver and really can not handle a 38 cal revolver. I showed him a video of the PT 22 adn how it loads and he is very interested in one. I would like the feed back about them and maybe if anyone has a used one for sale I can interest him in it.
I like my PT22, but a PT25 may be a little more reliable. While I've never had trouble with rimfire ammunition "everyone on the Internet" says it is less reliable. There's also the similar style flip top barrel Beretta Tomcat (.32 ACP) for a little more stopping power, but those are outrageously expensive these days.

·
32,481 Posts
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/159563-pt22-poly-post2329525.html#post2329525 Lots of good info in the link, but these guys have covered a goodly bit.

I will add that the Beretta 21 is now available. There is a but.

The reason I went with my PLY-22 is that the trigger is double action only versus the Beretta double action/ single action trigger. Another reason for the PLY is that the trigger is wider across than the Beretta.

The caveat to all of this however is that Beretta 3032 (Yes I own one or two) might be a bit bigger and has a bigger caliber in .32ACP. I like to carry a Beretta as the main gun in a IWB holster, Bulldog case holster, or a OWB holster. The PLY-22 can be carried as a back up in a pocket holster and be a second gun. One can be always armed, or so, most if not all day. This is inside the residence as well.

Just the PT-22 by itself can be fine as well. I use to use the PT-22 to answer the doorbell late at night before going to a larger caliber gun for that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Our PT-22 is reliable, but only after some tweaking of the magazines. I have had the polymer buffer in the front of the frame break. The trigger is very heavy and it takes a fair amount of practice to shoot the pistol well. It is fun and I feel it is a terrific plinker, but personally would not rely on it for defensive purposes. My wife has a S&W Shield 380EZ and I believe they are terrific options for those people with diminished hand strength and are adverse to recoil IMHO.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I would love to find a reasonably priced Beretta 86 with the tip up barrel in .380.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
32,481 Posts
That is something that needed covering there are medium frame .380s out there that others have already covered. Is it possible the old gent can shoot or use one of those? Granted those are not pocket pistols, but does it need to be one?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
That is something that needed covering there are medium frame .380s out there that others have already covered. Is it possible the old gent can shoot or use one of those? Granted those are not pocket pistols, but does it need to be one?
I was looking for one for my FIL until he passed away. He couldn't operate the slide on an auto any more. They are hard to find, you pretty much have to watch the cases at pawn shops and LGS.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
HMMM?? well I am not a 22 handgun fan for defense myself.
as for not being able to rack the slide on a auto--I would suggest taking a run at a Sig 238, the Kimber 380 or the Springfield 380, my Sig 238 if you can't rack the slide then you likely don't need to be carrying a pistol at all cause you likely can't pull the trigger either..
between the quality of the build, the amount use and the flat recoil spring its extremely smooth and easy.

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
I like my PT22, but a PT25 may be a little more reliable. While I've never had trouble with rimfire ammunition "everyone on the Internet" says it is less reliable. There's also the similar style flip top barrel Beretta Tomcat (.32 ACP) for a little more stopping power, but those are outrageously expensive these days.
If you don't mind, DB, I'll add to your suggestions. The "common" caliber ammo here is pretty darn scarce, but I have seen boxes of the less-common handgun rounds in stock throughout the past several months. Some 25 caliber, a whole lot of 32 in its various offerings, 44 magnum, and so on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My wife has reduced hand strength due to a stroke and age (70). We tried several .22 and .380 semi-autos to no avail. ((I sometimes will carry the PT-22 which has always been flawless.))

My wife opted for the Ruger LCR DAO (available in .22 r .22WMR). It has a lighter trigger pull, and with the concealed hammer has nothing to snag on clothing.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Would a .32 H&R mag revolver work for him? .32 longs for practice and mags for defense. It's a big step up in power with very little recoil.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would a .32 H&R mag revolver work for him? .32 longs for practice and mags for defense. It's a big step up in power with very little recoil.
My wife has a .32 mag Charter Arms and not only loves it, is really proficiency with it. Yes it would work for him, especially with using .32 longs, but he says the gun is more money than he wants to spend and the ammo is harder to find than .22 and is much more expensive....which is true on both accounts. Not easy to locate a .32 revolver and ammo during this time either. Where we live in a gated community and even though crime has increased in the downtown area,we are fairly secure....I think his fear is not really justified, but a .22 would ease his mind.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have the older "alloy frame" version not the poly. I bought it new about.. 3 years ago.. maybe 4 years ago. You may be able to find that version around used. I have not had issues with mine. Once in a while, I have mine with me in regards to my line of work. Other times when I am working out in my yard I have it in a Blackhawk pocket holster.

While every gun "can" like different ammo even in the same model. Some of the common brands that I have seen post from users of the same model gun and what I have seen and use is: CCI Mini Mags high velocity, Aguila Super Extra high velocity, Remington Thunderbolt High Velocity, Federal Gold match High Velocity, Aguila Super Extra Standard velocity (Eley primers), Finocchi Standard Velocity. There "may be" some other standard velocity ammo that you can use as well. I have not seen others post about this, but "in my" gun, I can shoot Federal AutoMatch "White box" bulk box target ammo.

The two things you'll here people talking about in regards to the negatives about this gun is the need of putting a round into battery after you shoot everything from the magazine.. so the extra step slows a person down... I find with training with the firearm, that not a major concern after shooting the first 9 rounds. The second thing that people talk about is sometimes you'll see "stovepipes" when the slide "catches" the spent casing in a vertical position after it is being ejected after firing the round. That is because the gun has no ejector, only blow back. I've only seen that "three times" in the three or four years of firing the gun and that was using standard velocity ammo.. probably bulk another cheaper brand.

There is one last thing that I can pass along to you. I bought this gun "before" my injury and partial disability in my dominant shooting hand. Even though I have mobility issues still even after it has 100% healed up. During my recovery process and rehabilitation, I could fire "this gun" one hand "off hand/weak hand" and also two handed because of the low recoil and the large grip handle of the gun. One other tip, it has a long trigger pull but it's best to shoot it like you mean it.. don't do any "gentle" trigger pulls. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just saw some police trade in 380 berettas for sale.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beretta Bobcat. 32 ACP. Taurus designed the first PT-22 after the Beretta design. Same pop up barrel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have him try the slide on a little Sig P238 .380. I've got my share of arthritic and other hand problems, but I can handle it with no problem. The recoil is modest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Big difference in people, I guess - I'm 78 and shoot a Glock 29 in 10mm regularly....and I have the 21## spring in it for +P loads.

That said, I did have some difficulty with the slide, mainly when locking it back and found a gadget online that snaps into the rear of the receiver in place of the little square thingie. It's like a short bar that sticks out to each side about 3/8" and makes it 100% easier to rack the slide. Here's a link: https://www.glockstore.com/Longhorn-Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle They're very proud of the thing pricewise, but it works "very" well and now I wouldn't be without it. A round loop is available for the Ruger Mark pistols that does the same thing (to help with the notorious finger/thumb biting) and I believe there's one out there for the Taurus PT111G3 as well.

I don't need the slide pull assist on the 9mm PT111G3 but it's become my go-to pistol for general target practice, plinking, protection while on wilderness hikes, (carried in a shoulder holster) etc. It's very compact, not real heavy, moderate recoil, 13 shots, plenty of snoose.....what's not to like ?? I recommend it very highly. A Ruger LCP in .380 is my EDC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts