Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Well, I just purchased a PT22 to fill a niche that needed to be filled and that my other arms dont fill.
My question is what are some of the recomended rounds for defensive purposes for the little .22? I've read to stay away from the "hyper velocity" rounds as they will beat and batter the slide and frame. I'm new to the .22 world so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

P.S. It's a purty one too! Blue,gold and pearl grips.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
PT22 - WARNING: THIS PISTOL IS DESIGNED TO SHOOT 22 LONG
RIFLE STANDARD AND HIGH VELOCITY AMMUNITION ONLY. DO NOT
USE ANY OTHER AMMUNITION IN THIS PISTOL.

That is what your manual should say! Some of the other guys may have some additional advice on Ammo.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
im not sure there is a defensive load for .22lr's is there?
ok i take that back there probably is..

me? i'd just slap the cheapest .22 you can in it that will function reliably..

i buy federal 36gr CP HP high-velocity 550 bulk value packs from walmart.. they come in a box loose.. but they seem to be both highly reliable and accurate, but they are a bit dirty.

they are hollowpoints but doubt they actually expand.. at least with any reliability..
it's offten said anything smaller then a 9mm should just go with solid or fmj rounds.

now lets face it if you're carrying a .22 for protection it's either all you can conceal.. or all you can handle.
either way it can and will stop somesome one but it'll probably take at least 3 or 4 shots unless you hit them in the head. it's sort of the "better then a knife or pointy stick" SD caliber.

now i might suggest getting a .32 acp.. problem here is they are either over priced, poor quality, or only slightly smaller then a .380.. and if you're gonna go with a .380.. a lot of times you can get a 9mm of equal size..

anyway maybe someone else can chime in on .22's for carry.. i might suggest going for a .25 acp though.. you wont get more stopping power but you will get a more reliable feed, which is important in this case because you'll probably need most if not all the mag unless they surrender after the first shot.

i once heard someone say " a mag full of .22lr's is like 1 round of 00 buck shot.. use'em all at once and make'em count." thats probably sound advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased it for days that I go jogging in shorts and a wife beater. My daily is my Ruger P93 loaded with Golden Saber 124 +p
Or my model 85 with 125 +p rounds.
Like I said its a niche whip. A Millenium Pro is next up to replace the Ruger as my daily. The ruger is a bit bulky.

·
Registered
663 Posts
lizzyp93 said:
I've read to stay away from the "hyper velocity" rounds as they will beat and batter the slide and frame.
Practice with normal LR's. Carry a hyper velocity like Stingers or Vipers.

JimL

·
Registered
280 Posts
JimL said:
Practice with normal LR's. Carry a hyper velocity like Stingers or Vipers.

JimL
Sound advise. Stay away from that super hot Aquila stuff too. Mine likes Stingers (not a steady diet of them though) and Vipers. It is the first .22 pistol that I have shot that will feed the Vipers reliably.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts