Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post here about my favorite little rimfire pistol, the Taurus PT22!

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I've seen these on the shelves at the store ... are they really decent guns. They look a lot like toys to me. ???

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a well made gun. Actually a Beretta design. They can be finicky, like all rimfire semi autos can be. They like to be clean, and shoot better clean. They don't like cheap bulk ammo, most prefer CCI Mini Mags. A lot of the issues with this gun starts at the magazines. All I can say is only use Taurus mags, and get several of them, because some work better than others. Taurus will replace them if you're having problems. Their service has been good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got a grey tree rat, the ones with the bushy tails, yesterday at about 20 yards out...Not bad for a little toy pistol.
Mine will only cycle on CCI Mini-Mags...Nothing less.

P.S. BTW, I'm pretty sure he was rabid by the way he was acting...The PT-22 saves another life.

·
32,788 Posts
Like the tip up barrel feature. For those who are not strong enough to rack the slide this is a god send. Just put the magazine in and put a Barney Fife bullet in the spout and close up. Mini Mags seem to be the load of choice for many. Remington 36 grain HPs will feed through mine. Makes a nice change if price is an issue.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife has one of these as well, and hers just likes the Mini Mags, and will jam and have other problems with th bulk stuff. Mine for some reason will eat anything a put through it, without a hitch. The bulk Federal HP works just fine in mine, and is cheaper than the CCI. I don't know what the difference is. Hers was sent into Taurus once for problems, and they made some adjustments to the trigger and replaced the mag bodies. Seems to work good now. She likes the tip up barrel, too. I know its a small caliber for a carry gun, but she is comfortable with it, and very accurate with it as well. If it came down to having to use it in a bad situation, I think it would get the job done, although it would probably take a full mags worth. I see them selling for $160 to $180 new in box. I think thats a good price for what you're getting. The overall quality is good on these guns, and the looks are good as well.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago Coast to Coast Stores carried line of .22 ammo that fed 100% in the PT22. Don't know who made it, but would like to find out. Anybody have an old box of .22 Coast to Coast in your ammo stock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I use Federal High velocity 36 grain hollow points in mine. never a problem. Walmart sells them for 9.95/550 rounds. I like this gun a lot. fun to shoot and decently accurate. The fit and finish on the slide is not great but it works without a problem so far.
toni

·
Registered
162 Posts
I shot 16 rounds from a PT22 a couple of days ago. Wasn't bad. Did notice that 2 rounds required two trigger pulls to fire and the pistol shot high. POA bottom of a paper plate at 7 yards to get POI around the center of the plate. Are these common problems?

Definitely not a "one ragged hole" gun, but fun to shoot. With a sight fix or the right ammo, wouldn't be bad at all.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They can be very particular about ammo. I would recommend a steady diet of CCI Mini Mags if it won't reliably feed the cheap bulk stuff. Rimfire pistols in general can be finicky, but they sure are cheap and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
after years of doing big bores / magnums, bigger is better is american :), i've returned to 22 rimfires. been looking at the pt 22 for a pocket pistol. hard to find a used one and all the area dealers order, no stock. is this a low production run, not much demand piece or could it just be the area i'm in? anyhow, just looking for fyi's and such.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
i went into town today, took the wife to her dr's. looked around, no gun shops left, academy and gander mntn put them out of business then jacked their prices back up to retail. that leaves a handfull of pawn shops. only found one pt22. it was sold / on lay-away. dealer offered it to me for 175 if buyer backs out. nickel w/ pink pearl grips. can't say i think it's a good deal, since i'd be out 20+ for decent grips. gunbroker might as well change their name to pawn-broker. seems most on there are pawn shops, which is fine, free enterprise and all. just seem to get better deals from private sellers. thanks for the links. i'll look them over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
personal experience recently with 2 new pt 22 and one new pt 25. first cc white pearl w gld. ist 100 rds of cheap ammo and i was sick. then i remembered that some semis require no break in and some do. this one did i bought appr. 400 rd s of cci mini mags hp and solid absolutley flawless could not be happier. then 3 days ago i bought pt 25 i only put 39 rd thru it all 39 went bang. also was perfect, yesterday i bought another pt 22 fired it 9 times last nite and all went well cci minimags work for me. today i will fire 400 500 rds thru my latest pt22
it has blkpearl and gold ill advise . maybe this will be useful to someone. i love the tip barrel no need to ever rack the slide

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I did go out and shoot my latest pt22 200 plus of mini mags hp and rn again this little gun performed perfect. i decided to try a few cci stingers and they too were 100%. these i will carry for protection. i know they ? say no 22 for defense i say bull im totally confident im protected with my 22 i say its not caliber its how you place the shots double tap to the head and empty the mag.

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
There's been more people killed (domestically) with .22's then just about any other caliber.

If you feel confident in what you carry, go for it and don't look back.

In the words of the late great "Skeeter Skelton"...

"Beware the man with one gun, because he probably knows how to use it."

·
Registered
33 Posts
moondawg I like the quote you posted "beware the man with one gun" Thats me , one gun only, I really do try to practice regularly .I only am interested in being able to hit what I aim at 7 to 10 yds max.Although I have found that this gun is accurate at further distance . Any suggestions on the ammo i carry for defense or any other info will be appreciated. 2245

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a pt25. I understand it's a different caliber, but it was bad. Stovepiped and jammed all the time.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Just my opinion, but if my PT22 did that it would have gone back to Taurus. Even with cheap after market mags, mine bought used has not failed to load, eject or fire. I am buy bulk pack JHP, and lead 22lr, Thunderbolts, and Remington. I have used CCI standard load, and other brands too.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts