Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,

I've taken a liking to the alloy model (PT1911AL). Has anyone had experiences or heard things showing that the alloy version is less or more reliable than the regular steel models?

Thanks and happy shooting.

·
Administrator
35,111 Posts
My PT1911 ALR has at least 2500 rounds through it and I have had zero issues - FTF, FTE, or anything that would make me think that the frame is becoming an issue. It's dead solid perfect as a self defense weapon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my 1911AL replaced under warranty because the grip bushings holes stripped themselves out in the frame. I had about 500 rounds through it when I noticed something wasn't right. The new one had red loc-tite applied to all 4 bushings from Taurus.

Even with that little aggravation, I'm still happy with the AL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my 1911AL replaced under warranty because the grip bushings holes stripped themselves out in the frame. I had about 500 rounds through it when I noticed something wasn't right.

Did they pay for shipping back to them?

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Good Day All,
I've taken a liking to the alloy model (PT1911AL). Has anyone had experiences or heard things showing that the alloy version is less or more reliable than the regular steel models?
Thanks and happy shooting.
AS the Pt1911 AL is the same design and manufacture as the all steel model then there is no reason that reliability would be any different other than it being an individual weapon made on an assembly line, same as any other mass produced 1911 by Taurus.
every pistol is an individual as to likes/ dislikes.
OF course all this may be a mute point as the AL has been discontinued and likely hard to locate.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I owned an aluminum Taurus 1911 and doubt there will be any significant wear issues. Many manufacturers make a light weight version of the 1911. The ALR weighs about 32 oz and the regular steel frame about 38 or 39 oz. I got rid of the lighter 1911 as I found the weight difference distracting. I am old and set in my ways and a 1911 needs to be heavy and weigh 39 oz. Many folks that carry will appreciate the lighter weight which didn't affect accuracy any either. My ALR cycled very reliably.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
My PT1911AL is three years old and has over 10,000 rounds downrange without so much as a hickup! No stress fractures, no fatigue, no wear of any type. The action is slightly smoother though!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My 1911 ALR works just fine. I'm just careful about where she lies when I put her down. You know, such delicate skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts