Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any PT1911's that have any issues??? Please comment as I am buying one tonite.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Of course there are. Just as there are M&Ps that have issues, Glocks that have issues, Springfields that have issues. Probably the main issue is people not cleaning properly/well enough and then the gun malfunctions.

My first PT1911 broke the extractor at about 130 rounds. Replaced the extractor and it now has 1000+/- reliable rounds. My 2nd PT1911 has about 300 reliable rounds through it. They are both great guns.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Are there any PT1911's that have any issues??? Please comment as I am buying one tonite.
The only somewhat common and reappearing problem that i am aware of is the early model PT1911 had issues with the ambi safeties seperating.
course that wouldn't really be aproblem for me as i would put a left side only thumb safety on one in a heartbeat anyway.
and of course taurus would repair this if you sent it in, very early in the PT1911 life this was corrected though so not a problem in anything remotely new.

·
Super Moderator
42,033 Posts
I had issues with my PT 1911 SS ambi-safety falling out. As a 1911 noob I didn't know that the left side was supposed to be retained by a groove in the leading edge of the safety...had I known that I could have fixed it my self. As it is, I used blue loctite on the finger joint which is supposed to just guarantee synchronized movement between right and left. The glue lasted for a few months and I had a single sided safety installed after it fell out again.

The biggest problem with mine is that it keeps insisting on going to the range with me...and it wants to devour all of my .45 ACP (they are very fun to shoot).

·
Registered
16,319 Posts
There's all sorts of problems with the PT1911's:

They like to be handled and shot frequently
The like to outperform most higher priced 1911's
They will shoot any type of ammo you feed them
They're constantly hungry and want to be feed ammo frequently and in large quantities
They will make you the scorn of Taurus haters across the universe
They love playing dress up with different grips and other parts.
They Like having their pictures taken... oh wait.. WE Love them to have their pictures taken, my bad.
They Love bathing in the protective grease/nuclear adhesive before leaving the Factory. I think they consider it like Spray Tan but with a waxy-greasy epoxy-like tanning solution.
Most like to have trigger breaks that are like glass and on par with the best trigger jobs of 1911 smiths.

Actual problems that I'm aware of, some have been mentioned
the Ambi safety can come lose
The set screw for the rear sight is almost welded in (some top notch locktit usage there)
You can't get a decent holster for the railed version
There is a trigger safety that requires the use of a key (Why anyone would use it is beyond me)
Parts Break (as if no other complex piece of equipment has never broken)
Aftermarket sights are specific to Taurus. yes, they use a Novak style dovetail, it is at a different angle.
Taurus does use a slightly wider grip than standard 1911 grips and the grip screws have slightly larger heads (1/4" as opposed to 9/32"). they will also require a notch on the right side grip panel due to the ambi safety.

As per the Higher priced fanboys (Kimber, Les Baer, Ed brown, etc...)
The Barrel bushing clearance is sloppy (Yet it still outshoots their pride and joys... go figure?)
You can't use the Kimber 22 conversion kit due to hammer issues
there's too much MIM in the PT1911 (yet all other mass produced 1911's have MIM parts, including Colts)
Overall Poorly machined and assembled

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All went well except for a little problem removing the firing pin. I don't know what flavor I got but it was a .45 off-course. The grips are aluminum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have read of just a few possible problems.
I did get to shoot mine but it is on lay away until I pay off the balance.

The Ambi safety one already mentioned.
Extractors breaking. Don't know the stats on how big a problem that is but it is easy enough to fix.
Get a type 80 replacement bullet proof one from Wilson. You can get their firing pin also.
Certain sights printing low and left. My gun has Novak 3 dot ******'s.

I put 5 rounds through my brand new gun and they all grouped tightly at 15 yards but 3 inches low and left.
I was using poa/poi sighting and not 6'oclock so I don't know if that was the main issue being low.
I also shoot lefty so I wasn't doing the typical noob right handed trigger finger thing with the gun.
I was also shooting some off brand 230 grain ball ammo which might also be an issue.

I don't know what the low/left resolution will ultimately be. My new gun that is waiting for me
is an all steel Talo version 1911 .45. Geez it is hard to wait.

Biggest problem may be finding decently priced .45ACP ammo to shoot.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how did the purchase go? Which flavor of PT1911 is it? Ya know you have to post pics too right?!
Happy to report that the New PT 1911 performed as expected. I fed it my reloads and several brands of hollow points and she spit them out beautifully!!!

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Issues? Oh yes, every time I go to the range all of my 45ACP ammo gets used up. If my danged Stainless Steel PT1911 would just jam up or break, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. But Nooooo, it has to work everytime, no matter what ex-Eastern Bloc turd ammo I load it with. Very frustrating!!!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Issues? Oh yes, every time I go to the range all of my 45ACP ammo gets used up. If my danged Stainless Steel PT1911 would just jam up or break, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. But Nooooo, it has to work everytime, no matter what ex-Eastern Bloc turd ammo I load it with. Very frustrating!!!!!
Doesn't that just tick you off? I have the same problem with mine, it thinks it's a Kimber...

·
Administrator
36,603 Posts
Another problem with mine......she loves it when other shooters pick her up and give her a try. My sons have tried to take her home twice now. :mad: :eek: :D

Reactions: leejack
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.