Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things I have come to terms with in regards to the PT1911’s and would like to share for the benefit of a new purchaser.

1. They are perfect and then you will still customize them to suit your needs/taste (this applies to many 1911s).
2. The lifetime warranty is great unless you modify it ( though, you may have to wait awhile for you gun to come back). In which case, who cares, it’s your gun. Any qualified gun smith can take care of your gun.
3. MIM is not a dirty word. If it were then Kimber, Springfield, Smith & Wesson and “insert any other brand that uses MIM parts” would not sell as well as they do.
4. It’s a great utilitarian pistol. If the finish wears, so what. It can be refinished to your liking next time around.
5. Shoots as good as you do.
6. Forged frame, slide and barrel
7. Built on a solid and proven platform (seems everyone and their mother makes a 1911, except Ruger and CZ(?))

Thought it was true over a year ago, that the value of the PT1911 made it a worthy purchase given it’s features. I still feel that even at todays prices it’s still a great buy. At present I own a Springfield GI which is a great gun to compare it to being that they are both of Brazilian manufacture. My GI has a great fit and finish, feels solid and looks great (still haven’t shot it yet.) They both use MIM parts ( I just wish I knew to what extent). The GI is a bit cheaper than the Taurus, but I have seen them as low as $519.

This post is really for the guys who are still on the fence about buying a PT1911. While I will concur that there are many, many good quality 1911’s (new and used) out in the market. I firmly believe that this particular Taurus is indeed one of them. Over the last year I have read a vast number of testimonials from first time 1911 buyers like myself to seasoned veterans who decided to add this working man’s gun to their fold. As many others have told me in the past “any company can turn out a gun with flaws”.

As for me, I own two, 1 blued and 1 stainless. If Taurus come out with their commander I may have to look under my couch cushions for some spare change. The blued one is my daily sidekick and I trust it with my life. I’ve put over 800 flawless rounds though it and look forward to putting more. So for those who like the PT1911 but are on the fence, I say go for it. It’s a pretty decent gun for the price, enjoy!

*Will be posted on a couple of forums I figure some go out of there way to post the negatives, so why not post the positives for a change.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Way to go, Schlem. I just read your thread. Very nice article,
that was. I myself don't own a PT1911 yet. And it's not because of
any quality issues, either. (There really aren't any) It's just due to the
fact that I have gone through my firearm spending budget, for the time being.

But in the hopefully not too distant future, I plan to add to the arsenal a
stainless model of the PT1911. And, I am really hoping that they finally come
out with the compact version. If/when they do, I will jump all over it! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought my PT 1911 a couple of months ago. Have several hundred rounds through with nary a problem. Keep it in a black leather Safariland holster (Model 528-53-COLT) that holds the Taurus amazingly high and snug against my body.

Perfect gun, perfect holster.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well said, schlemer.

I've had one for about 9 months. With the notable exception of my first attempts at reloading, it has chambered, fired, ejected every kind of ammo I've bought and I don't buy the high-priced ammo. Although I've fired 1911s with sights I liked better, I like the sights. I've been pleased with the accuracy I can achieve with the pistol. I've had no mechanical problems. My PT1911B does what it is supposed to do and does it very competently and reliably. When I shoot it, it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

Perfect pistol? Probably not, but I'm not sure anyone makes that one. I can't think of much I'd get if I bought a $1500 1911 that I didn't get with the $500 Taurus.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm probably going to buy the stainless model from Bud's next week. Just got the taxes done and got way more back than expected. From what I've heard of these guns, they are packed with features, and nice on the wallet too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
schlemer,
WELL SAID! I bought mine Nov 07. My friend just had to do a trigger job on it (not that he really had to) to remove the barely perceptable trigger creep and removed the trigger block. This handgun is PHENOMINAL and shoots EVERYTIME and EXACTLY where I point it. It is one of the favorites with my friends when we do Man Time at the range. Good thing I reload also.
All I can say to those of you "on the fence" and still have enough in your gun budget is to GO FOR IT! If for whatever reason you don't like it take a prospective buyer with you shooting and they will leave with it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
RetiredSwabbie said:
If for whatever reason you don't like it take a prospective buyer with you shooting and they will leave with it.
Or put it up on the classifieds here. It won't be here long. I think it would be safe to say that those of us who have them probably "need" another one at some point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After: Buying a 24/7 9mm, looking at the PT1911 on Taurus' website, seeing the PT1911 ad in American Rifleman, reading a glowing review of the PT1911 in Handguns magazine and reading some rather scary malfunction stories and proud praises about the PT1911 on another forum. I have decided that I'm going to buy one, barring any ridiculous deals on some souped up uber 1911 from another manufacturer.

I figure you can find a thread on ANY make/model pistol that has disappointed it's user if you look hard enough and there are so many different flavors of 1911 out there, it's hard to differentiate. So I will let my budget be my guide and trust that Taurus has their quality control issues even more perfected by the time I order one up ;D

·
32,614 Posts
Way to go schlemer. Same can be said for you other respondents as well.

Makes the job fun and glad to see facts and good times being had.

1911 shooting can open many avenues for fun. Competition shoots, fun shoots, or for defense if need be. Even fun forms of informal plinking canget addictive. At extended ranges as well.

Then again it's also a partly selfish motive somewhat.

Get to go to other forums and spread some pollen with links like this as representative of things done right and well. For everbody by everybody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts