Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the thumb safety on my brand new pt1911 broke yesterday.
i don't want to send the gun to taurus. i plan to order the part and attempt to replace it myself. should i order a new one from taurus or would i be better off getting one from the aftermarket?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are bound and determined to replace it yourself there is a good chance the Taurus safety is MIM. If you can find a forged or machined safety (if they even make them anywhere) you may as well. I can't imagine a real top line safety is a bank breaker.

I wonder though, if Taurus will just send you a new safety for free without sending the gun in. Springfield Armory does stuff like that all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea i been waitng for at least 2 months on the pin and spring for my pt1911 thumb safetly thank god i found it and had a b/u gun.......also seems like my thumb safetly on ti right side wants to work its way loose?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The ambidextrous thumb safety is designed as two pieces on 1911s with the right hand side held in place by the grip.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Scottw, You should call ahead to Taurus if you want to get a part from them and have them give you an ETA. You are going to read where people have had bad experiences, but you shouldn't take the complaints as the rule of thumb, but as exceptions to the rule. Obviously, it is very unpleasant to be on the recieving end of poor customer service, but common sense tells us that if Taurus sucks so bad for most of their customers, they would be out of business.

·
Registered
126 Posts
scottw, I did the online Taurus form and mailed mine after a phone call to Taurus on 8/13/07. Mine probably got lost in the mail but I don't need it now. I wouldn't count on Taurus to send anything too quick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just bought Wilsons Ambi-safety part # 192B. Also bought a set of mini-files from Lowes. Did it myself. Not hard, took about an hour. I just matched it to the original. Works like a charm.

If you use Wilsons safeties, you will need to remove a little plastic off the back of the grips to allow more leg clearance on the right side.

Just remember, go SLOW and easy filing!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question from a newbie. I just ordered a PT1911 and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I have had many guns in the past, glocks, sigs and redid my browning hi-power and consider myself pretty handy. If I need to replace the thumb safety is it a fairly simple process or would it best be left to a qualified pistolsmith. I will be carrying this gun off duty therefor it has to be reliable and safe. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i bought an extended thumb safety (not ambi) on ebay. got it today and
it dropped right in with no fitting. gun functions fine now.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have had two experiences... one I screwed up because I think I got to interested in the files to early. The second fit in place, but it needed some work on the curve where the safety pin bears against the thumb safety in order to thumb the safety off... it was very stiff coming off... with the polishing it works well (it is a tactical safety, so it is a pretty small thumb shelf).

I learned something else worthy of interest. I removed the slide and used a stout rubber band to hold the grip safety in... then without removing other items (you will have to remove the right grip to remove the right safety).

Then I could removed the left thumb safety and replace it with the left safety and check it... the thumb safety pin will probably come out and it's OK. Check the safety to make sure it holds the hammer at full cock, and that it will move forward off safety. Then put the pin back in place and check to make sure the safety moves smoothly and securely... if it is... you are finished!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whenever I read that someone installs a safety that "dropped right in", I wonder if they have done the "click test" to check the fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for posting that link darwin. i checked it out and there is no movement of the sear when safety is on and trigger pulled. guess i got lucky.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My right sidethumb safety was loose and I sent it to Taurus sometime ago last year. When I never heard back from them I figured it got lost in the mail. Well, last week I received a thumb safety from Taurus, too bad it was the left side. I called them and they said to send it back with a note saying "wrong side".

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not just Taurus safety problems. I have a partner who has a Kimber TLE/RL II and first time at the range, his safety fell apart. Safety=The Devil. I havent had any problems with mine(Fingers Crossed)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I received the correct, right, safety for my PT1911 today.
I'll put it in the bag of other Taurus OEM parts that I'm starting to collect. They'll be reinstalled if I ever have to send the whole gun back. (I hope that day never comes)
I'm still lovin' my PT1911. :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Put a nice left hand safety (unless you're left handed). I appears that most of the 1911 ambi-safties have the split rod arrangement... I haven't found any so far that are pinned on the right side which is the only way I know to prevent this problem with any models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts